high whinny noise

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
chue f lee
ITRCA Member

Post by chue f lee »

Will i bought a new transmission for around $1800. And I told them to put my JMD fd into my new trans. But my new trans was making the noise. So it is the FD. So i bought a new FD. Now I got 2 transmissions. King is charging me $2800 for the parts and labor. Does this sound right? $4600 for all of this? They didn't really figure out the problem!! I just bought a new transmission. I think its to high? What do you guys think. Am I getting screwed.
chue f lee
ITRCA Member

Post by chue f lee »

Will i bought a new transmission for around $1800. And I told them to put my JMD fd into my new trans. But my new trans was making the noise. So it is the FD. So i bought a new FD. Now I got 2 transmissions. King is charging me $2800 for the parts and labor. Does this sound right? $4600 for all of this? They didn't really figure out the problem!! I just bought a new transmission. I think its to high? What do you guys think. Am I getting screwed.
JDM98Spec
New ITRCA Member

Post by JDM98Spec »

yeah sounds a bit steep..but you got all new parts...so that tends to drive the price up...your jdm final drive prolly cost 800usd alone...

they're prolly charging you for all the time they spend on the car...taking out the tranny and disassembling it several times can be quite time consuming...that was prolly the majority of the cost...most mechanics charge about 70-90/hr in my area...

on the bright side you got the car fixed and the sound is gone...no whining noise to get under your skin anymore :D

I'm considering changing my final drive now....

Anyone have any experience with 4.9 final drive in their R??
I couldn't fix ur brakes, so i made ur horn louder
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

not to sound like a jerk, but didn't you discuss the prices with King before you gave them permission?
But from the sounds of what they did, it seems like you got a decent deal.
Other then the amount, is everything good or better?
swed
chue f lee
ITRCA Member

Post by chue f lee »

Well because they are the mechanic I listen to what they suggested. But I suggest it was the FD right when i brought it in. They open it the 1st time and thought it was the bearings. It wasn't. So i paid for the bearing and 1st time trans removal. Then they said they'll take it apart and look again free of charge?<--- now they saying they never said it? Then they said they replace it with a working trans to see if it was really trans. And they they said it'll be quick. Because I already had my trans out i said sure. Well it worked so it was trans. What else could it be!! They're the mechanics yet there making decicsion that I could of made. But they still couldn't see the problem with my trans. So king said or Mike the mechanic said well it might cost to much to keep swapping in parts out to fix it. So i bought a new trans. I told the to put my old jdm FD from my old trans into the new one. But it made the noise in my new trans lol. So it was the FD. So i bought a new 4.9 FD from king for $600 and an LS 5th gear so I can cruise on the highway. But what I'm saying is that king didn't fixed anything and thats why I think the price is unfair. But they said they could try to sell my old tran for me? So if can sell it for $1000 it'll help a bit. May a couple hundreds less especially since the charged me for bearings that didn't fix the problem. Sound right from my point of view. At first I thought they did a good job bought now my temp in my car doesn't work? It gets warm but doesn't get hot? It winter here also. The temp reader barely goes up from 0. I changed thermostat but still doesn't fix it? I don't know.
JDM98Spec
New ITRCA Member

Post by JDM98Spec »

hows the combination of the LS 5th gear and 4.9 final drive??

What rpm do you sit at when ur cruising at 100km/h??
chue f lee
ITRCA Member

Post by chue f lee »

Zips through 1 to 4th gear nice acceleration. Then in 5th i'm at 3K rpm at 60 mph. 5th is cruise control for me. Nice setup. Good setup from King. One thing I was impressed with.
JDM98Spec
New ITRCA Member

Post by JDM98Spec »

that sounds like the exact set up that i'm looking for...perfect for the daily commuter and amazing for the weekend track events...

Which brand final drive did you purchase??
Dave_B

Post by Dave_B »

What are you doing with the old trans?

JDM FD's are not $800 for parts, however parts/labor I could see that.

Tranny's are a PITA if you don't know what your doing, internally. So I can see the price and reasoning of that price. Steep? Yes, but most likely done right.
http://www.picperformance.com

PIC Performance and Amsoil authorized distributor.
Major_Wolf
ITRCA Member

Post by Major_Wolf »

JDM98Spec wrote:how much would a JDM 98 spec transmission cost anywayz?? and where??
about 900-1200$ cdn...!!!
soulassassin13
ITRCA Member

Post by soulassassin13 »

I agree that the price is good... I would pay that much to have my baby in top shape.
Timeless. Keeping it real, so you don't have to.
JDM98Spec
New ITRCA Member

Post by JDM98Spec »

i think if King motorsports did it the 'Right' way, chue wouldn't have bought another transmission to fix the problem...King should have identified that it was just the final drive in the first place and he would have saved 1800 right there...IMO

but chue i understand where your coming from...if i pay top dollar for a good mechanic they should know more than just how to assemble and disassemble a car...they should also have the experience to know what the problem is in the first place and not fix everything until we hit right part at ur expense...IMHO
chue f lee
ITRCA Member

Post by chue f lee »

Exactly.. I still have the highest respect for king. But I don't understand why they don't see that and keep telling me that I'm getting the better end of deal?..Maybe they never been wrong before and can't admit it??..
I didn't put in a new JDM FD. I put in a new king 4.9 drive, which was cryo treated and is anti friction. Plus a ls 5th gear.
My new transmission was a usdm for around 1800 dollars from new york acura dealership. Still came with 1 year warranty. Its brand new. I got it myself..
soulassassin13
ITRCA Member

Post by soulassassin13 »

It isn't King Motorsports fault that he was ripping at his gearbox. Mechanical items like syncros and gears don't like to miss at 9000+ RPM. It looks like you paid for your own negligence.
chue f lee
ITRCA Member

Post by chue f lee »

Yeah but is it fair for me to pay for my own mistakes and thiers????
soulassassin13
ITRCA Member

Post by soulassassin13 »

Good point...
CT_the_AZN
New ITRCA Member

Re: high whinny noise

Post by CT_the_AZN »

Hey, i got this whinny noise too. I have NO idea what kinda transmission is in my ITR either. It's a big toss up. I have a B18C motor. So i could either have any tranny in my car right now. I have no idea. But i do have "the whine". Not so annoying to me though. But i was also curious about it. Has anyone here ruled out the fact that it may be an electrical whine and not mechanical? I'm not sure if ITR's come with any type of grounding equipment or not...?? I know a few guys that get some sorta electrical interference/whine or other, through their speakers....and since our tweeters are right there at the top portion of the door panels...I do know that a ground loop isolator would fix it, if it were electrical. They're like $15-$25 at any car audio place.

It's kinda like running your RCA and Power wires for your audio equipment in close proximity to one another. The RCA "draws" from the Power wire and produces a whine through the speakers. Does anyone see where i'm coming from? Just a thought.....