vtec missing

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
teddyblank
New ITRCA Member

vtec missing

Post by teddyblank »

i noticed sometimes vtec doesnt engage seemingly...

it was really bad when i was low on oil, but now that i have good amount of oil in their. it works maybe 80% of the time, but like uphill it doesnt sometimes. and if i just start at 4th gear and get to 6000 rpm it doesnt sometimes.. usually if i go to 6000 rpm in 1st gear, then 2nd gear and in continous order it will.. im not sure whats going on. ive been using plus grade gas, maybe i should only use the premium
RIP98typeR
New ITRCA Member

Re: vtec missing

Post by RIP98typeR »

teddyblank wrote:i noticed sometimes vtec doesnt engage seemingly...

it was really bad when i was low on oil, but now that i have good amount of oil in their. it works maybe 80% of the time, but like uphill it doesnt sometimes. and if i just start at 4th gear and get to 6000 rpm it doesnt sometimes.. usually if i go to 6000 rpm in 1st gear, then 2nd gear and in continous order it will.. im not sure whats going on. ive been using plus grade gas, maybe i should only use the premium
ALWAYS use premium! if im not mistaken it should say in your owners manual not to use fuels under 90 or 91 octane. ive put premium in ever car i have ever owned. even if its not a sports car.
dr. k
New ITRCA Member

Post by dr. k »

you might have broken your vtec sylinod( sorry late cant spell). that happened to a buddy of mine. yes believe it or not, you can break vtec.
Dave_B

Post by Dave_B »

Remove the Vtec solenoid, and check the screen for any crap in it. Clean screen and re-install.

If that's not it, it may be an electrical issue.

Always use PREMIUM fuel and always make sure you have oil.
http://www.picperformance.com

PIC Performance and Amsoil authorized distributor.
katenaba06
New ITRCA Member

Post by katenaba06 »

I had this problem with mine and I changed my spark plugs and the problem was gone :)
coolhandluke
401R

Post by coolhandluke »

On a funny note, your car new it was low on oil so it suspended your VTEC privileges. :P

Follow Dave's directions on the VTEC solenoid, always run premium, and you need to check your oil at every fillup. Our cars burn oil quicker than most when up in higher RPMs etc. Simply put, no oil = no motor. Take care of the car and it will take care of you. :mrgreen:
WTB: ODB1 VTEC Distributor!!!!!!!!!!!

2011 ITR Expo Calendar
http://www.itrca.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12472
teddyblank
New ITRCA Member

Post by teddyblank »

OH SHIT! DID SOMEONE SAY SPARKPLUGS! THAT MIGHT BE THE ANSWER

sometimes my car will take 5 or so seconds to start, so i think that plus the VTEC missing occasionally means i need new spark plugs, a general tune up, and i hope i dont have to deal with a solenoid since i would have to take it to a mechanic and i have no idea how to explain it