What kind of intake?

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
the_integra_man
New ITRCA Member

What kind of intake?

Post by the_integra_man »

I'm debating what kind of intake to put on my 98 ITR. It is very important for me to keep the car as stock as possible, and maintain the value of the car as much as possible, so I was thinking a Mugen intake would be best. Any other suggestions? Again, quality is the biggest factor for me, not performance. Thanks.
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Re: What kind of intake?

Post by Bbasso »

Mugen, AEM CAI, Comptech, stock.
I have the AEM CAI and no problems.
swed
coolhandluke
401R

Post by coolhandluke »

I would vote for BPI Velocity stack/K&N Filter or the Comptech Icebox.

*Personally, I have bought the BPI/K&N and later bought a used Mugen.
Last edited by coolhandluke on March 20th, 2009, 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
WTB: ODB1 VTEC Distributor!!!!!!!!!!!

2011 ITR Expo Calendar
http://www.itrca.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12472
Dave_B

Post by Dave_B »

Mugen vote here.
http://www.picperformance.com

PIC Performance and Amsoil authorized distributor.
typertony
New ITRCA Member

Post by typertony »

i vote for comptech or mugen. i was broke and got the injen cold air and the performance isnt great but its definitely louder than any other ones ive heard
soulassassin13
ITRCA Member

Post by soulassassin13 »

I don't regret buying the Mugen. The intake is very responsive.
Timeless. Keeping it real, so you don't have to.
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/503605
halfway down is a picture of my AEM CAI on the motor, yeah plenty of pictures :P
swed
the_integra_man
New ITRCA Member

Post by the_integra_man »

Thanks a lot for the input guys! So far I am leaning towards the Mugen intake, although I have to admit at 800 american it's gonna bust my budget :lol: I also think that the Mugen intake will be most appealing to a future owner (I hate to think of that day but it may be inevitable!)
PS - Dave sell me your MATS :)
Doespike
Half way to a cool title.

Post by Doespike »

If you're patient, you may fine a decent used one come up for sale for $500-600. Sometimes less...but those are rare and don't last long. :)
-Joe - ITR RegistRar
98-0309...Born 1/22/1998.
ITR Expo!
soulassassin13
ITRCA Member

Post by soulassassin13 »

^ true story I got mine for 550 used.
Timeless. Keeping it real, so you don't have to.
Dave_B

Post by Dave_B »

I sold one for $550 not to long ago. Be patient.

As for the mats, I told you I can include the "fees" on your side, just need them paypal'd to me in advance.

ITRnightrider
New ITRCA Member

Post by ITRnightrider »

TWM or Toda Racing ITB's (individual throttle bodies). They work GREAT on ITR's. Put em on mine with full exhaust (header n all) Toda spec C cams and ran 234whp 134tq. they was awsome throttle response especially at high rpms.
"Racing a domestic is like racing in the special Olympics.
Even if you win, your still retarded."
Dave_B

Post by Dave_B »

ITRnightrider wrote:TWM or Toda Racing ITB's (individual throttle bodies). They work GREAT on ITR's. Put em on mine with full exhaust (header n all) Toda spec C cams and ran 234whp 134tq. they was awsome throttle response especially at high rpms.
But now your talking about finding a competent tuner who can tune a car with ITB's. And it's more expensive than the $800 new of the Mugen intake.

Also, what kind of dyno was it that you saw 234 WHP?

ITRnightrider
New ITRCA Member

Post by ITRnightrider »

im sorry that was a typo, 204whp. i found a lot of tuning shops that know how to use hondata, and i live in central PA where everyone has mustangs and firebirds. hondata isnt an uncommon product so finding a shop that knows how to use it shouldnt be to hard to find.
Dave_B

Post by Dave_B »

ITRnightrider wrote:im sorry that was a typo, 204whp. i found a lot of tuning shops that know how to use hondata, and i live in central PA where everyone has mustangs and firebirds. hondata isnt an uncommon product so finding a shop that knows how to use it shouldnt be to hard to find.
Tuning with Hondata and tuning ITB's are 2 different things.

ITRnightrider
New ITRCA Member

Post by ITRnightrider »

well your also not looking for performance as much as keeping it original, so i agree i would go with a mugen intake. it'd be cheaper (than itb's), and nicer especially for an itr, and good quality. plus they put them the jdm dc5's.
Dave_B

Post by Dave_B »

ITRnightrider wrote:well your also not looking for performance as much as keeping it original, so i agree i would go with a mugen intake. it'd be cheaper (than itb's), and nicer especially for an itr, and good quality. plus they put them the jdm dc5's.
I don't understand what you mean by not looking for performance and keeping it original?

ITRnightrider
New ITRCA Member

Post by ITRnightrider »

as far as idling goes, everything else was tuned with s300 hondata. i mean im not a tuning expert but changes were made to water, air, fuel, and oil.
Dave_B

Post by Dave_B »

ITRnightrider wrote:as far as idling goes, everything else was tuned with s300 hondata. i mean im not a tuning expert but changes were made to water, air, fuel, and oil.
Even with "bolt-ons" you still should tune the car for all of the changes to work in harmony with one another. Not to mention you can usually pick up a few more WHP by tuning.

ITRnightrider
New ITRCA Member

Post by ITRnightrider »

the_integra_man wrote:I'm debating what kind of intake to put on my 98 ITR. It is very important for me to keep the car as stock as possible, and maintain the value of the car as much as possible, so I was thinking a Mugen intake would be best. Any other suggestions? Again, quality is the biggest factor for me, not performance. Thanks.
mugen made an intake system that they put on the new jdm dc5 integras. so since he is looking for stock and value of the car and not as much as performance then id go with the mugen intake.
Dave_B

Post by Dave_B »

ITRnightrider wrote:
the_integra_man wrote:I'm debating what kind of intake to put on my 98 ITR. It is very important for me to keep the car as stock as possible, and maintain the value of the car as much as possible, so I was thinking a Mugen intake would be best. Any other suggestions? Again, quality is the biggest factor for me, not performance. Thanks.
mugen made an intake system that they put on the new jdm dc5 integras. so since he is looking for stock and value of the car and not as much as performance then id go with the mugen intake.
Either ITB's or Mugen intake, it's still not "stock" And what does the DC5 have to do with any of this? Also, ITB's don't add "much" performance as far as WHP goes. While it sounds nice and the throttle response is near instant, from what I've seen/read they don't always outperform standard induction systems.

ITRnightrider
New ITRCA Member

Post by ITRnightrider »

yes i know wat you mean but the_integra_man wrote that he wanted it stock as possible, anything you change isnt stock anymore. Im saying that they put mugen intakes on DC5's so go with that if your trying to go as stock as possible. And wat do you mean much performance as WHP. performance co insides with HP. the way the car "performs" determines HP. if you have a shitty performing car it prolly doenst have any HP.
Dave_B

Post by Dave_B »

ITRnightrider wrote:yes i know wat you mean but the_integra_man wrote that he wanted it stock as possible, anything you change isnt stock anymore. Im saying that they put mugen intakes on DC5's so go with that if your trying to go as stock as possible. And wat do you mean much performance as WHP. performance co insides with HP. the way the car "performs" determines HP. if you have a shitty performing car it prolly doenst have any HP.
There have been Mugen intakes for years now. Some designed for 1992-95 Honda civics (EG's) so I'm not sure how the reference to the DC5 makes it "more stock"

So let me get this straight... if I have a 1000 WHP drag car, that doesn't idle for crap and shakes the car like hell when idling, then it really doesn't have any "performance"? Your logic doesn't make any sense. Take a look on the web for ITB'd cars and intaked cars, and make sure it's Honda's. I'm sure you'll be suprised at the outcome. Again, while they sound great and throttle response is awesome, they don't always perform well in terms of gaining highest WHP on a dyno.

ITRnightrider
New ITRCA Member

Post by ITRnightrider »

yes i know mugen has been putting intakes on hondas for years, im saying that the DC5's have a nice mugen induction system and its and integra, it was also a suggestion.

what do u mean...yeah if you have a 1000whp drag car that doesnt idle and shake like hell, then YEAH it has awsome performance, like i said. but if it does have idling problems and stalling out all the time, its prolly not performing real well and needs some tuning so it can perform to its full potential(HP)
Humpie56
ITRCA Member

Post by Humpie56 »

Mugen but my ITR came with it, don't know if i'd shell out the loot for it if i didn't have one already.
"The Customer Can Have Any Color He Wants So Long As It's Black"-Henry Ford

Built From the Ground Up

Black 01 Acura Integra Type-R B18C5