Has anyone engineered cooling ducts for front brakes?

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
CivicBeater
Senior ITRCA Member

Has anyone engineered cooling ducts for front brakes?

Post by CivicBeater »

I'm curious to see how you have it set-up. This is something I strongly considered on my last si, however sold it before I had the chance too. I think it would help tremendously as far as keeping brakes cool go. I've spoken with guys who've done this on other models of cars and strongly recommended it.

I'm not sure if this can be done on our cars while keeping a clean look on the front end where the inlets to the duct work would be (hopefully located somehow inconspicuously).
-Eric
Willard
SLEESTACK

Re: Has anyone engineered cooling ducts for front brakes?

Post by Willard »

Are there any issues with your brakes currently? :wink:
'84 242ti (bent, in storage)
'04 Pilot EX
'08 Fit sport
#01-0154 PY = sold :(
{9 ITR Expo's IAR!!}
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

Ducts never hurt. We'll be putting them on the Chump GSR soon, but they'll be ghetto engineered...
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
jfults2000
New ITRCA Member

Post by jfults2000 »

Heel_togue has them on his caR i'm not sure if he has any pictures of the setup or not.
CivicBeater
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by CivicBeater »

jfults2000 wrote:Heel_togue has them on his caR i'm not sure if he has any pictures of the setup or not.
Interesting, if you speak to him let him know to get on here!
-Eric
beastnatch
ITRCA Member

Post by beastnatch »

Here's a nice one that I always like to have people look at due to a nice writeup. It's in German, and using the EDM foglight holes...

http://dc2.ch/DC2cms/index.php?option=c ... &Itemid=77
2001 Integra Type-R NBP #201
http://www.integratyper.org - ITR Registry!
coolhandluke
401R

Post by coolhandluke »

I'm with Will. Too much work.
WTB: ODB1 VTEC Distributor!!!!!!!!!!!

2011 ITR Expo Calendar
http://www.itrca.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12472
Erik95LS
Banjo Viking

Post by Erik95LS »

coolhandluke wrote:I'm with Will. Too much work.
Really no need on these cars unless you're reaching SERIOUS speeds on the straights in a very hot climate. Even then I rather doubt you'd see any advantage.
-Erik

"i sneezed and jam came out" - R-Box
CivicBeater
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by CivicBeater »

Erik95LS wrote:
Really no need on these cars unless you're reaching SERIOUS speeds on the straights in a very hot climate. Even then I rather doubt you'd see any advantage.
At CMP (very technical track) I was boiling ATE Superblue about every session. Yes, most of it was due to my lack of proper braking but I'm sure ducts would have definitely helped keep them a bit cooler.
-Eric
Erik95LS
Banjo Viking

Post by Erik95LS »

CivicBeater wrote:
Erik95LS wrote:
At CMP (very technical track) I was boiling ATE Superblue about every session. Yes, most of it was due to my lack of proper braking but I'm sure ducts would have definitely helped keep them a bit cooler.
but that was no in an ITR which has brakes meant for a 3100lb car on it at only 2500lbs. Even in high heat at CMP I've never boiled superblue. I'd say if you find you're still boiling in the R then you're simply on the brakes too long.
-Erik

CivicBeater
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by CivicBeater »

Erik95LS wrote:
CivicBeater wrote:
Erik95LS wrote:
but that was no in an ITR which has brakes meant for a 3100lb car on it at only 2500lbs. Even in high heat at CMP I've never boiled superblue. I'd say if you find you're still boiling in the R then you're simply on the brakes too long.
I was definitely dragging brakes too much.

This isn't something that I am dead set on or something I plan to do prior to a couple events in the R, however would consider it. For the sake of getting some action on the board and information that I'm curious about I figured it was worthy of a thread..

p.s. my apologies on explaining CMP as being technical, I just assumed you were from a far away place and wouldn't know what I was saying if I just said "CMP"
-Eric
Erik95LS
Banjo Viking

Post by Erik95LS »

CivicBeater wrote:
Erik95LS wrote:
CivicBeater wrote:
Erik95LS wrote:

This isn't something that I am dead set on or something I plan to do prior to a couple events in the R, however would consider it. For the sake of getting some action on the board and information that I'm curious about I figured it was worthy of a thread..
yeah, I wasn't trying to talk you out of it, just saying it's not really necessary on these cars until you get to pretty heavy racing situations and even then......

I've seen people have inlets in a second set of turn signals which would be easy to swap in at the track. Some have them in front of the radiator, but I'd rather not interrupt that flow at all. Plenty of options.
-Erik

coolhandluke
401R

Post by coolhandluke »

Erik is one of the quicker guys in this forum at CMP. :wink:
WTB: ODB1 VTEC Distributor!!!!!!!!!!!

2011 ITR Expo Calendar
http://www.itrca.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12472
CivicBeater
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by CivicBeater »

Erik95LS wrote:
CivicBeater wrote:
Erik95LS wrote:
CivicBeater wrote:
Erik95LS wrote:

yeah, I wasn't trying to talk you out of it, just saying it's not really necessary on these cars until you get to pretty heavy racing situations and even then......

I've seen people have inlets in a second set of turn signals which would be easy to swap in at the track. Some have them in front of the radiator, but I'd rather not interrupt that flow at all. Plenty of options.
I'm sure it's safe to say you're right. As my skills increase I'm sure my brakes will stay cooler.
-Eric
Erik95LS
Banjo Viking

Post by Erik95LS »

CivicBeater wrote: p.s. my apologies on explaining CMP as being technical, I just assumed you were from a far away place and wouldn't know what I was saying if I just said "CMP"
no worries dude. 8)

Can't wait to see 442 out on track again. She and I have spent a great deal of time at speed together.
-Erik

Erik95LS
Banjo Viking

Post by Erik95LS »

-Erik

CivicBeater
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by CivicBeater »

Incredible!

Tell me you got a semi boner puttin' the moves on the porsche? ha! What kind of power are you putting down?

It will probably take me a bit to do any justice to the 442, but I can at least tell you that you'll see it out there :)
-Eric
Erik95LS
Banjo Viking

Post by Erik95LS »

CivicBeater wrote:Incredible!

Tell me you got a semi boner puttin' the moves on the porsche? ha! What kind of power are you putting down?

It will probably take me a bit to do any justice to the 442, but I can at least tell you that you'll see it out there :)
haha nah, it's a regular occurrence for Hondas. Stock b18c5 with intake, header, and exhaust.

442 is a great car and ready to go. Just get out there and enjoy it!
-Erik

CivicBeater
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by CivicBeater »

Erik95LS wrote:

haha nah, it's a regular occurrence for Hondas. Stock b18c5 with intake, header, and exhaust.

Hell yeah, very impressive. If there were a thumbs up icon, i'd put it here:

Enjoy it I will indeed! Going to get a little taste this weekend taking it on my first driving excursion in the R to the Blue Ridge and deals gap
-Eric
hondacbx
New ITRCA Member

Post by hondacbx »

CivicBeater wrote:
Erik95LS wrote:

Hell yeah, very impressive. If there were a thumbs up icon, i'd put it here:

Enjoy it I will indeed! Going to get a little taste this weekend taking it on my first driving excursion in the R to the Blue Ridge and deals gap
Doespike
Half way to a cool title.

Post by Doespike »

Erik95LS wrote: 442 is a great car and ready to go. Just get out there and enjoy it!
This :)
-Joe - ITR RegistRar
98-0309...Born 1/22/1998.
ITR Expo!
heel_touge
New ITRCA Member

Post by heel_touge »

eh, haven't noticed a difference, but they are also only plummed to the forks. so it directs in the general area.

i spent too much time making a stupid little bracket to keep the hose out of the way on the driver side.
until i make something that directs air into the rotor veins, i would say its not worth the hassle.

lll l ll llll l ll ll
l00001051l
itrsteez
Half way to a cool title.

Post by itrsteez »

fucking awesome video, I don't know how that was my first time seeing it.
WTB: Gunmetal USDM ITR Wheels
heel_touge
New ITRCA Member

Post by heel_touge »

erok, what cam do you use?
i purchased a way to expensive canon that vibrates like dog shit and you cant see anything.
lll l ll llll l ll ll
l00001051l
Erik95LS
Banjo Viking

Post by Erik95LS »

heel_touge wrote:erok, what cam do you use?
i purchased a way to expensive canon that vibrates like dog shit and you cant see anything.
THIS with a .6x wide angle on it. I've also now got a GoPro HD and an Aiptek. The samsung is by far the best for normal in car stuff like that. It's discontinued, but it's successors should be equally as good.
-Erik