Building a frankenstein

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Static Dragon
New ITRCA Member

Building a frankenstein

Post by Static Dragon »

To anyone who wants to help and give advice.

I want to build a B-Series engine for an Integra GSR, its a daily driver so i would probably leave the engine in the car and go buy a different block and head to work with so I'm not stuck with the car in the shop forever.

I really want to do a B18C5, because my goal is a Type R conversion.
But this is where i thought i might beable to save some cash. I want to have the head put through extensive work at ENDYN, and probably increase the displacement to 2.0 liters.

My plans for the engine would make it perform far beyond stock and I would of course have the engine loaded with aftermarket parts.

So here is the question, should I save money and buy a B18C1 block and head instead of a C5 block and head? Or should I build a frankenstein, using a B18C1 block and C5 head? If the engine is worked over this severly would it even matter which block or head i go with since the displacement will be increased and the head worked over?

What would you guys do? I want the car in the shop as little as possible.
I have plenty of time to think about it, i won't start the engine project until next summer.

I appreciate everyones help!

Static Dragon :twisted:

Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Endyn

Post by Aj »

Funny you mention Endyn, because I'm just sending them a very large check for some work they just completed for me.

As far as heads go, your best to start of with a regular B16 head, which is anything starting in PR3 which is V-tech. They ussualy work better for porting and polishing, beccuase the head jobs on stock Type-R motors, are ussualy worse then just the stock B16A. Go figure.

Any way, as far as the bottom end goes, your better of getting a GSR or ITR bottom end, if your going to switch the sleeves, rods pistons, and all that any way, the only reason I wouldn't go B20 or LS is because it was never intended to go vtech.

As far as the car in the shop as little as possible, Larry at Endyn has had my motor for almost three months, there is at least a two month waiting list, so if your in a rush, your choosing the wrong shop, if you want it done right, then you should go to them. If you do, tell them AJ in south FLA sent you, they;ll hook you up. Good luck with it, when I get it back, i'll let you know how it went.

Later.....

Aj
Static Dragon
New ITRCA Member

ENDYN

Post by Static Dragon »

i remember asking you about machine shops awhile ago and you mentioned ENDYN. Since then i found myself revisiting their website and reading about all the stuff they offer.

I especially like the fact that they want the specs for your engine, cams, comp. ratio, rods, etc. so they can custom design the head. That is sweet.

I figured it would be some kinda waiting list but i didn't know how long. Also do you have any idea how much they charge for their Roller Wave Pistons? You told me they kick ass, so i wanna try em.

Ill probably give them a call or something and ask them what i want and what they suggest i do. Thanks for the tip on the B16A head, any idea how much acura dealerships want for a new one?

I'll definately mention your name to them.

Hey also, have you ever heard of Fujitsubo Exhaust systems? I first heard of them in this current issue of sport compact car, they were visiting Tein Suspension Co. in Japan and Tein's demo Integra Type R had a Fujitsubo cat-back. SCC was really impressed with it, saying it makes the car sound very different than other exhausts, making the engine have a low rumble instead of a high pitched scream. Anyway I stumbled across a website that sold Fujitsubo exhausts, some place in Illinois, but their site was under construction and they didnt have anything to show. I'm gonna call them tomorrow about it, just thought you would be interested.

Thanks for the advice

SD 8)
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Nope

Post by Aj »

I had a friend talking about that exhaust system for his RSX, but I've never heard of them personally. As far as a new head from honda, don't do it, they want over a grand, just go buy one used for a couple hundred bucks, just make sure no one has ever ported and polished it.

I think the pistons were like 5 bills, but not sure.

Later,
Aj