Sound System

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
m0veb1tch
New ITRCA Member

Sound System

Post by m0veb1tch »

How is the sound system in the Type R? how many speakers are there. i hear its not very good, but can you add a better sound system in it?
Nimbus
New ITRCA Member

Re: Sound System

Post by Nimbus »

m0veb1tch wrote:How is the sound system in the Type R? how many speakers are there. i hear its not very good, but can you add a better sound system in it?
Most true enthusiasts who buy Typr R's want to hear the sound of the engine, they don't care about the sound of the stereo.
Champ R
ITRCA Member

Post by Champ R »

The sound system in the R is very weak... and yes you can switch out the radio.
CW 98 #805
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

Yeah, the system stock blows pretty hard, but can be changed out with minimal effort, just be careful as you have very limited clearance in the doors....

Later,
Aj
Type R 98
ITRCA Member

imo

Post by Type R 98 »

all type R's are either better left with a stock stereo and listen to your motor, or change em for Alpine Type r's like im doing if you wanna save speeding tickets... umm cant wait to be able to drive slow without having a v-tec urge every other minute so i can just lay back and have good music bumpin in my ride! 38 more days before its out!
All Motor Championship white Mugen exterior ITR 1998 #870
IdealConcepts
New ITRCA Member

Post by IdealConcepts »

I changed the HU with a Panasonic CD w/3preouts, I had for about a year in my legend before I moved it into my Type R. Need to replace it in the near future with Alpine or another name brand. I did change out all the speaker wire and added a cap to hopefully reduce the battery drain. I looked at the Alpine Type Rs, didn't like them, looked at the Kicker Solos, and a bunch of other speakers. I was going to go with all Polk Momo 6.5 in the doors, regular Polks in the rear seats and a Polk Momo 12 sub, but I was told the 6.5 wouldn't fit in the doors and the box the sub came in was not mounted properly so they were all recalled. I was going to use a 5 channel alpine amp with this set up. I ended up buying Boston Pro Series 6.5 in the doors, I think Boston RX in the rear and a Boston Pro Series 12 sub. I'm running it with a JL audio 5 channel amp (100wattsx2 to the front, 25wattsx2 to the rear, and 250watts to the sub, RMS) and as mentioned before with the Cap and new wiring. System sounds loud and clear. I didn't want the heavy bass that can be heard from miles away. With the windows closed you can hear the bass slightly and when you roll down the windows your can hear the highs and the bass from about a half block away. I spent a little more on this set up than what was planned but I am very satisfied. Whatever you go with get the extra auto insurance to cover if the system is stolen, its cheap and you can never be sure. It is also your money and your car so its your decision just do the research and find what you like that fits your budget.
Beasty18C5
ITRCA Member

Post by Beasty18C5 »

Upgraded mine with FOCAL 130K Polykevlar 5"1/4 up front and took out my rears don't need them if u run a nice front end also had a Kicker solobaric square do not reccomend it the plastic supports on each corner cracked and sounds like it's blown.

http://www.focal.tm.fr
***Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Stock***
USDM PY 2001 ITR #1111 Turbocharged
CND CW 1997 Type R #255
Daily Driver 1997 Integra RS
kabob
ITRCA Member

Post by kabob »

I upgraded my HU with a Kenwood KDC-MPV220 (50wx4, MP3 and Sirius) so that I could listen to Sirius satellite radio. The antenna is ugly and ruins the lines on the roof but it's about as far as I'm gonna go with upgrading the stereo outside of maybe new speakers later on.
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

Check out the Registry for some of the members sound systems, Mine is there "Pioneer DEX-P1R, Pioneer pemier stock replacements off a MTX 4 channel amp, along with 2 12inch Fosgate subs run off a Fosgate 500a2. total wattage is close ot 900."
swed
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

sound system?

Post by Jan Niemi »

Oh I didn't realize my R came with a radio. I was too busy enjoying the mechanical orchestration provided by vtec at 8000 rpm. And after adding the T3T4, the soundtrack of speed has been enhanced by the whoosh of the Greddy, and the whistling of the SNAIL.
http://speedindustry.biz
for all of your tuning, parts, fabrication and other service needs.
Utilitarian
ITRCA Member

Sound

Post by Utilitarian »

It's terrible! That is if you want to hear music with the windows open and doing anything over 55 mph. I haven't stripped it yet but I think we have tucked away: 1" tweets in door, 5.25" mids in door (I hope), and 6 by 9's in the rear. I have to toss my stereo in my R in the coming weeks. Alpine CD, PPI A404 (Art Series old school baby, but two months old) and two A/D/S i345 component sets (bad-ass). Maybe a 10" sub with A200 and Epicenter for depth but not too heavy. Just keep performance first and cosmetics and entertainment second.

P.S. I couldn't have said it better myself:

"I was too busy enjoying the mechanical orchestration provided by vtec at 8000 rpm."
2003 BMW //M3 Carbon Black #78 TIR Class
2003 Lexus IS300 Black Onyx 5MT LSD

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... ef=profile
joe s
ITRCA Member

Post by joe s »

I don't think the sound system is bad at all. You just can't hear it very well while moving because the car is inherently noisy, with the lack of insulation & all. I don't listen to it much. Like most of you I like to just hear the sounds of the motor; it's the closest thing to the gear noise and music of a 911 motor.
cronic
New ITRCA Member

Post by cronic »

Ok seriously, the sterio system sucks!
A new deck is a must.
Speakers: the fronts are 5 1/4" and the rears are 6.5" there is a depth of 2" on both. Lots of speaker brands can be dropped in. They also have this light door lining that keeps the sound crisp. I would personally recommend getting some point source speakers, point the rears toward the hatch to bounce to the front and then disconnect the factory tweeters. And you are done....
pUrExTc
ITRCA Member

Post by pUrExTc »

DON'T CHANGE THE STOCK DECK! No other aftermarket deck looks right in a Type-R. The amber lights don't match with any of the aftermarket decks (my opinon). If you bought the Type-R, you probably like the engine noises anyway. Here's the route I took:
CD Changer that plays Mp3's. No, it doesn't make your sounds louder, or more defined, but it does add functionality. What do you think? The stock deck is the only one that looks right lit up (once again, only my opinion).
'98 Acura Integra Type-R
'03 Honda CBR600RR
Surgeon General's Warning: It's OK to Smoke V8's
Type R 98
ITRCA Member

my personnal choice

Post by Type R 98 »

i have equipped mine this year of a complete Alpine Type R sound system
2 * 10" subs, 4 * 200 watt speakers that come with tweeters and 2 amplifiers, only the Alpine mp3 disc reader left to buy and cabling now... how does that sound? it'll keep me at bay from speeding tickets while im in the city at least.. ill just take those heavy subs out once i feel like speeding major!
All Motor Championship white Mugen exterior ITR 1998 #870