Weight...

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Airbag
New ITRCA Member

Weight...

Post by Airbag »

What is the best way to reduce the weight of your r? But with still keepin the stock look. Stock the r ways 2700lbs, what do you guys recommand to lower it to 2500-2600.
Erik B
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Erik B »

man 200lbs is alot. You want to keep it stock too I would lose the AC thats about 30-40lbs right there. I don't know what you mean by "keep a stock look" You can take your spare tire and seats out and still "look stock" from the out side. Thats about 80lbs right there. Good look on the other 120lbs though.
2000 Turbo Integra Type R - 508whp/362lbs tq @ 21psi
2003 Imola/Imola NSX-T
http://www.jdmwhoreinc.com
Nimbus
New ITRCA Member

Post by Nimbus »

edited
sscguy
ITRCA Member

Post by sscguy »

A lightweight FAL rear window? I think that saves 40-60 lbs, but I'm not sure how street-legal that is. You could go with a carbon fiber hood and get it painted, which would save a bunch of weight if it's a good one. How about reducing unrprung weight, like with wheels, brakes (aluminum Spoon calipers?) and the like. Or are you trying to do it just by removing stuff? If that's the case...uh...start drilling holes in the doors? Other than what Erik B said, there's not a lot of stuff left on the car.
A bunch of days left 'till Expo '05!
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

weight

Post by Jan Niemi »

Depends,
How hard core do you want to go?
remove the interior, power steering, a/c, light battery, FAL windows, carbon panels, etc...

But what is your gain after all that?
A.) An uncivilized car
B.) An uncivilized car a few tenths faster - maybe.

You just have to weigh the options, and make the decision.

I would concentrate on removing unsprung weight, rotational inertia.
Light wheels, no huge heavy crap.
Maybe some pulleys, the a/c and power steering still goes

Increase power, that will accomplish the same result if you are going after a lower power to weight ratio.
http://speedindustry.biz
for all of your tuning, parts, fabrication and other service needs.
Erik B
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Erik B »

I wouldn't do the pully thing man. The cars pullies are large enough. If you want your headlights to dim when you get off the gas then goes ahead.... :lol:
2000 Turbo Integra Type R - 508whp/362lbs tq @ 21psi
2003 Imola/Imola NSX-T
http://www.jdmwhoreinc.com
Utilitarian
ITRCA Member

Weight shaving

Post by Utilitarian »

Lighter race wheels may be a wise choice. Rotational weight can have up to three times the resistance of static weight.
2003 BMW //M3 Carbon Black #78 TIR Class
2003 Lexus IS300 Black Onyx 5MT LSD

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... ef=profile
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

There are not to many ways to reduce weight but I can spread some good news.

The Type-R is rated curb weight at 2639 with AC and full tank of fuel.

If weighed with AC, 1/2 tnak and no passengers it weighs 2550 or less. My personal car with no spare, jack and with 929 wheels weighs 2520.

So there is 200 lbs for you :P

Now, I would say, flywheel, lightweight wheels, and spare, jack and rear seats are the most obvious places. You have AC and power steering if you are willing to give up the comforts.

Whatever you do PLEASE leave in the bumper rebar.

Trey
sscguy
ITRCA Member

Post by sscguy »

Hey Trey, is there any upgraded (as in stronger) JDM rebar? I bought my car with the JDM front, so I didn't have a choice, but I'd like to keep it safe.
A bunch of days left 'till Expo '05!
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

I have never heard of anyone finding a better option for the JDM front. just BE CAREFUL 8)
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

sscguy wrote: How about reducing unrprung weight, like with wheels, brakes (aluminum Spoon calipers?) and the like.
Although calipers may be on your spindles, that weight isn't rotational, and in all realism, really doesn't do almost anything especially given that there isn't any more than a couple pounds to be saved. Aside from that, you can get the willwood calipers, inluding larger rotors and lines for half the cost of just the spoon calipers. That's a case where you really are just paying for a name.

As far as weight savings, with no spare, and a carbon hood, and almost no gas, mine weighed in at 2540 at the scale at Moroso. In order to dump some weight, without having to sacrifice on convinience, the spare tire, a carbon hood, carbon fenders, aluminum a/c braken, lighter wheels, lighter axles (carbon drive shafts), lighter rotors (two piece, or if you have bog money, carbon/ceramic), lightened flywheel, knife edged crank, manual steering rack, rather than power, in which case you save the weight on the rack it self as well as the pump, and parasitic drag, plus, the manual won't lock up if you run it without power steering fluid, and is also easier to turn without power steering fluid. Lighter cam gears, but don't do underdrive pulleys, as they are larger, so what ever weight you saved, you probably got back on size, it just puts a little less strain on the crank. Electric water pump, if you have some cash laying around is cool, as it removes one more thing from your crank pulley. Lighter pistons and rods, um.....well, other than the remainder of your interior, I'm not sure there is a lot else you can do. I'm sure there is some stuff I didn't remember to list, but that's pretty much it that I can think of....

Later,
Aj
Airbag
New ITRCA Member

Post by Airbag »

Thanks fellows... :)