How do u paint rims?

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
FunTime_R
New ITRCA Member

How do u paint rims?

Post by FunTime_R »

i want to paint my type r rims to slate or a non glossy black color. can i buy it at pep boys or do i have to order it? what are the peperatin steps?
do i need a clear coat when im done? do i need to remove the tires?

thanks for all the info and replys.
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

well if you are going to use spray paint figure an error isnb't going to cost all that much to redo so don't over stress it.

Buy the paint whever you want. I like the industrial Flat black at home Depot.

Strip the wheels with aircraft remover or paint striper that can be found at Autozone.

Make sure the surface is even and clean. Spray evently. This is most easily done with the tires off.

Trey
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

You dont really need a clear coat, in fact if you want it flat black, you're probably better off without one any way...

But yeah, rattle can is the way to go if you just want flat black, and as far as taking the tires off, It is easier, but you'll spend close to a hundred bucks getting them taken off, put back on, and then balanced.... Guess it depends on how expensive you want to make this...also, you can get a body shop to do this kinda thing for probably not a lot of money, cause they dont need to match paint, or really tape anything off, all they need to do is spray it with any flat back they have in the shop....One local to me does it for 30 bucks a wheel...note that this is much more expensive than a rattle can....hehehe

later,
Aj
FunTime_R
New ITRCA Member

Post by FunTime_R »

thanks for the reply, im going to head to pepboys and get aircraft striper then to home depot for the can. i'll post picture of before and after when im done.

WEEKEND PROJECT. :D

thx guys
Erik B
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Erik B »

I dont know how well you know people around your area but I would look for a place that does powder coating vs spray paint. Powder coating wheels around here goes for about 100 to 120 dollars. It will last you a lot longer the spray paint and will look alot more even. You dont have to worry about doing any paint stripping or anything.

My 2 dollars good luck and post some pics when your finished
2000 Turbo Integra Type R - 508whp/362lbs tq @ 21psi
2003 Imola/Imola NSX-T
http://www.jdmwhoreinc.com
numbskull
New ITRCA Member

Post by numbskull »

You can paint them yourself and do a great job. JUST TAKE YOUR TIME. Light coats and make sure the surface is clean before you start painting. The easiest way I've seen people paints rims is to go to Wal-mart or something and pick up a couple of packs of 3x5 cards. Wedge them between the edge of the rim and tire. Then go to town with the spay can. Super easy!!

Jay
BryanSprinkel
New ITRCA Member

Post by BryanSprinkel »

I've painted quite a few sets of wheels.

As mentioned above, aircraft stripper, or whtever its called works great. But, if tires are still mounted, be very careful. Be sure to sand them afterwards. When painting, just take your time. Used 3-4 coats of paint.

g'luck.