ITR Reliability

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
AdamF
New ITRCA Member

ITR Reliability

Post by AdamF »

Hi guys!

I'm thinking about picking up a really nice 2000 Integra Type R that I found. It's actually a Canadian ITR that got imported here over a year ago by the owner. It's completely stock, mint condition, and everything is there as it was new.

Anyhow, I'm wondering about reliability of the Type R. I used to own a 1995 Integra LS and I'm hoping the Type R will be of the same level of reliability as my old LS. Anyhow, I thought I'd ask you guys on that one.

Cheers!
Adam
Chris N
Site Admin

Re: ITR Reliability

Post by Chris N »

AdamF wrote:Hi guys!

I'm thinking about picking up a really nice 2000 Integra Type R that I found. It's actually a Canadian ITR that got imported here over a year ago by the owner. It's completely stock, mint condition, and everything is there as it was new.

Anyhow, I'm wondering about reliability of the Type R. I used to own a 1995 Integra LS and I'm hoping the Type R will be of the same level of reliability as my old LS. Anyhow, I thought I'd ask you guys on that one.

Cheers!
Adam
y0 Adam.

Reliability... i'd say very reliable like every other Honda.

As long as it is well maintained and not abused (i.e., not changing oil, mis-shifting, stuff like that), it should last you a long time.

You can do all the precautionary things when buying a car from someone else (compression test, leakdown), take the valve cover off and insspect, etc, if they let you.

Let us know how it goes and if you get the car!!

Chris
AdamF
New ITRCA Member

Post by AdamF »

Ah okay, so it's basic Integra reliability then. I change my oil every 3k miles, and am easy on the tranny so no worries there. The guy agreed to let me take it to an Acura dealership for them to go over it and such and make sure nothing is wrong. I certainly am going to be careful, as always with buying used cars, but this guy seems to be as outrageously meticulous as I am so it may end up being just fine :p.

I just wanted to find out basically if I was in for a surprise or something with respect to the maintenance. I'm glad it's basically the usual Integra maintenance, though, because I'm already familiar with it and even more importantly, can afford it ;).
Champ R
ITRCA Member

Post by Champ R »

The R is just like any other honda, only built to take more of a beating and keep on tickin. Gets great gas mileage too! :wink:
CW 98 #805
Chris N
Site Admin

Post by Chris N »

Champ R wrote:The R is just like any other honda, only built to take more of a beating and keep on tickin. Gets great gas mileage too! :wink:
Seriously.... I get 25+ around town and 30-35 on the highway. =)

If you are taking it to a dealer, that should be good enough. I don't know to what extent they are going to look for problems.... I guess the amount of investigating they do is based on how much you are willing to pay.
AdamF
New ITRCA Member

Post by AdamF »

Chris N wrote:
Champ R wrote:The R is just like any other honda, only built to take more of a beating and keep on tickin. Gets great gas mileage too! :wink:
Seriously.... I get 25+ around town and 30-35 on the highway. =)

If you are taking it to a dealer, that should be good enough. I don't know to what extent they are going to look for problems.... I guess the amount of investigating they do is based on how much you are willing to pay.
I'll pay whatever is needed to be thorough.

This is a 2000 Integra Type R from Canada but apparently is equipped as a California car. As such, it passes emissions rather easily ;). The big thing about the car is it is in Championship White which I adore, but is still a 2000 model year car. Sorta like getting the best of both worlds for me as far as TypeR's go. Thus, I'm rather interested in the car...and am hoping it turns out to be great.

The guy is rather reluctant to sell it, so much in fact that he was trying to find a way to take it back off the market. He's apparently selling it because he's got a family to take care of now and needs to sell it to make a down payment on a house. He certainly is a nice fellow and has been very helpful. I guess he sorta fits the canadian stereotype of being friendly/helpful.
Last edited by AdamF on May 21st, 2003, 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

Let us all know how it turns out and post some pics if you get it.
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
AdamF
New ITRCA Member

Post by AdamF »

dawhiteboy wrote:Let us all know how it turns out and post some pics if you get it.
I will be sure to do so!
D
"D" that's it.

Post by D »

107K miles of daily abuse here.

D
98#797
98#551
There is sufficient evidence to indicate that the rate of increase in output per unit increase of input decreases as the input increases
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

D wrote:107K miles of daily abuse here.

D
And when D says "abuse" you should take that quite literally :P
-Dave
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

Actually George, I wouldn't say you'd get bad mileage until you enter vtec. we got 27-30mpg in craig's car at 5000-5500rpm towing a trailer with some redline bursts.. so even above 5000 (but not in vtec all the time) mileage isn't all that bad.

In VTEC constantly I get ~6-7mpg in my GS-R. (vtec constantly == road course use)
-Dave
ITR862
ITRCA Member

Post by ITR862 »

The Type R is very reliable (just like any other Honda). I have 75,000 daily driven miles on my 2001 ITR.
BudMan
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by BudMan »

D wrote:107K miles of daily abuse here.

D
Damn - your now ahead of me :twisted: I'm at 106,200 abusive driving....this week I bought a beater so I'll never catch up now :(
Chris N
Site Admin

Post by Chris N »

dawhiteboy wrote:Actually George, I wouldn't say you'd get bad mileage until you enter vtec. we got 27-30mpg in craig's car at 5000-5500rpm towing a trailer with some redline bursts.. so even above 5000 (but not in vtec all the time) mileage isn't all that bad.

In VTEC constantly I get ~6-7mpg in my GS-R. (vtec constantly == road course use)
6-7?? I got 12mpg at BeaveRun (both days, same mpgs), and average 10mpg at Gingerman Raceway.

I guess I'm letting off the gas early or something!! :P
BudMan
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by BudMan »

dawhiteboy wrote:In VTEC constantly I get ~6-7mpg in my GS-R. (vtec constantly == road course use)
I used to get that crappy mileage too until I did some additional fuel tuning. Now I'm up to 9.5-10mpg on most road courses...

That sure beats having the engine cut out rounding a corner with only 81 miles on the odometer from a full tank :shock:
AdamF
New ITRCA Member

Post by AdamF »

Wow! You guys drive a *lot*. I only manage around 8-9k/year on my cars.
George Knighton
ITRCA Member

Post by George Knighton »

[quote="Chris N6-7?? I got 12mpg at BeaveRun (both days, same mpgs), and average 10mpg at Gingerman Raceway.

I guess I'm letting off the gas early or something!! :P[/quote]

I dunno.

My consumption on the track is closer to yours.

13 miles per gallon at Summit Point last Friday. It was raining a lot, though.
Chris N
Site Admin

Post by Chris N »

George,
I think it depends on the course somewhat.

At beaveRun, which I found to be a faster course (more time on the gas than going on/off, mostly because of the back straight/front straight) than Gingerman, I got exactly 12mpg both days, and I got faster every session. (Although my instructor didn't seem to think I was doing good at all in any session. =()

Two seperate events at gingerman and I got exactly 10mpg, tighter course, more severe turns.

And I'm untuned... I'd love to see what the difference (if any) would be between tuned and untuned....
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

Chris N wrote:
dawhiteboy wrote:Actually George, I wouldn't say you'd get bad mileage until you enter vtec. we got 27-30mpg in craig's car at 5000-5500rpm towing a trailer with some redline bursts.. so even above 5000 (but not in vtec all the time) mileage isn't all that bad.

6-7?? I got 12mpg at BeaveRun (both days, same mpgs), and average 10mpg at Gingerman Raceway.

I guess I'm letting off the gas early or something!! :P
6-7 on the 12 hours of sebring course.

10 or so on the sebring club course
little less than 10 on homestead, etc.

sebring long course OWNS gas.
-Dave
ITR97-143
New ITRCA Member

Post by ITR97-143 »

50k on my car 10k of that in the last month... working 2hrs away from home putting on close too 300 miles a day on the freeway.....
5th gear 4200-4250 rpm= 76mph \getting 30mpg on fresh rebuild on
all stock motor less ctr cams comptech ecu and a vAfc ...
i know every bolt of my car and i would hop in it and drive to NY and back and not even worry about it breaking down....
Hondas are kinda like diesel's they run run and run .. and they dont break unless there well used...
I 8 UR VETTE :)