adjustable coilovers...any thoughts?

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
quikRthanU
New ITRCA Member

adjustable coilovers...any thoughts?

Post by quikRthanU »

I was looking to drop my car a little bit...i found a set of adjustable coilovers for sale from 129-179 sounds like a good deal.
is it something that i can install myself or do i need to take it to a shop and
if so how much should that run me?
sportin a 01 py R :twisted:
88 5.0 stanger
ill eat you all alive, and sound better
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

Not to flame you but have you experienced the R on the track yet?

I think you should take a couple of laps with a HPDE and see what the car can do first- Most people that go with a inexspensive suspension upgrade find that the stock handles better.

Just food for thought :wink:
swed
ITR-00-1457
New ITRCA Member

Post by ITR-00-1457 »

IF YOU ARE ASKING THESE TYPES OF QUESTIONS MAYBE YOU SHOULD DO SOME RESEARCH FIRST. AND PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM CHEAP PARTS, THIS IS A TYPE R WE ARE TALKING ABOUT. I RUN WITH APEXi N1 COILOVERS, PRICEY BUT WELL WORTH IT.
I must be fast because you were flying when I passed you!

-GOT MOTOR?-
bbqman
Canadian Director

dampers

Post by bbqman »

hey guys , while we are on the subject of dampers.....I just want your opinion on Koni yelows.
I swear by these since all my civics and crx's have had them.

I was told however, aside from their adjustability in damping, but no rebound, they are not much better than stock ITR units.

The reason I ask this is that I race it in auto-x and time trials and I run the bone stock class , that allows only damper changes.
While I agree with you guys that this is the best Stock suspension that a car comes with, are Konis worth the upgrade????
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

Konis are a good upgrade but if I recall correctly there is an issue where the rears are either not available or are not adjustable for a US R.

As for cheap coilovers I woudl advise against it. You didn't buy a type-R to cheap out on parts. Have a little respect for the car and think quality.

As for if he has raced it or not, adjusting the look of the car is clearly his choice outside of if he knows how to drive it. I would say that using a part that makes handling worse while improving the look he wants is more the issue. At the very least Ground Controls for coilover sleevs and these should be looked at very closely for spring rates and drops should be very very minimal unless you intend to change the shocks as well. Ground controls are great budget option when paired with good shocks.

FYI, I run TEIN HA's and my next chnage will be to Zeal B6's
quikRthanU
New ITRCA Member

Post by quikRthanU »

wasnt trying to be flamed but trying to get a little insight from some r owners...thats all its good too know that he stock suspension is better than most upgrades offered out there
havent autocrossed it yet just gone for some 1/4 runs
88 5.0 stanger
ill eat you all alive, and sound better
Erik B
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Erik B »

I got the Apexi WS damper kit. There easy to adjust but tell you the truth the stock suspension felt better in turns......oh well I just had to drop then car...I think it looks alot better. The N1's were a lil out my range. I paid I think $850 shipped. I think the N1's were like 1300 or 1400. I like them though. But the stock was much stiffer I think. These make the ride a lil more comforable :roll: I don't auto X.
2000 Turbo Integra Type R - 508whp/362lbs tq @ 21psi
2003 Imola/Imola NSX-T
http://www.jdmwhoreinc.com
C2CTypeR
New ITRCA Member

Post by C2CTypeR »

Erik B wrote:I got the Apexi WS damper kit. There easy to adjust but tell you the truth the stock suspension felt better in turns......oh well I just had to drop then car...I think it looks alot better. The N1's were a lil out my range. I paid I think $850 shipped. I think the N1's were like 1300 or 1400. I like them though. But the stock was much stiffer I think. These make the ride a lil more comforable :roll: I don't auto X.
I agree with Erik B. I got the same setup Apex-i WS kit. Love how it handles. Also looks really good.
2001 PY Type-R # 264 Naturally Aspirated Only
Sponsored by Toucan Industries and Ignited Performance
C2C Importlifestyle Public Relations

It's a proven fact that GIRLS love yellow cars!!!

REST IN PEACE AUNIE!!!
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

quikRthanU, If you have some time come to Limerock on Nov 11th and enjoy

take a look: http://www.nasanortheast.org/
swed
Monster-R
New ITRCA Member

Post by Monster-R »

Trey wrote: As for cheap coilovers I woudl advise against it. You didn't buy a type-R to cheap out on parts. Have a little respect for the car and think quality.
TOTALLY AGREE!

Suspension is probably one of the most important modifications.

DO NOT CHEAP OUT ON IT!

i saved and saved and saved..and eventually got Buddyclub Racing Spec Dampers!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

definately worth the sacrifice!
pUrExTc
ITRCA Member

Post by pUrExTc »

But isn't the Type-R's ride height configured for optimal performance as is?
'98 Acura Integra Type-R
'03 Honda CBR600RR
Surgeon General's Warning: It's OK to Smoke V8's
B2FiNiTY
ITRCA Member

Post by B2FiNiTY »

Depends on the rest of the suspension setup. Things can always be improved.
paul98itr
ITRCA Member

Post by paul98itr »

:?
Sold 98 ITR #0195
Now own slow 4L 99 Jeep Grand Cheerokee Ltd.
Will have another ITR (if some one will buy my Jeep)