Tough Decision :/

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
AdamF
New ITRCA Member

Tough Decision :/

Post by AdamF »

Alright, I finally went down south and tried out the Type R I had my eye on. Loved the car, it was really quick and sounded great...and was in great shape. However...

While it *was* a great car, I found it was still a bit of a chore to drive when I wasn't trying to race around. I'm not sure if this is something you get over when owning the Type R for a while, or if you either love it or hate it. Nonetheless, when doing 80 or so, I found I wasn't terribly comfortable in the car...cruise control probably would have helped this but it was just fairly loud overall. So I decided to go try a GS-R when I got home and found it more comfortable overall and more luxurious, but not nearly as quick or light on its feet. So I'm faced with somewhat of a predicament, do I go for speed or comfort and luxury.

I'm just posting to find out what experience some of you may have with this. I don't want to get the car and then find I want to sell it a year from now...I'm getting kinda tired of selling cars (I've owned 2 in the past 2 years already).
B2FiNiTY
ITRCA Member

Post by B2FiNiTY »

Get the GSR if you like the comforts.
Get the ITR if you like the thrill.
George Knighton
ITRCA Member

Post by George Knighton »

I've owned both a GS-R and an ITR.

I have never missed the GS-R after having the ITR.

You know those Subarus commercials? "You either get it, or you don't."

No harm, no foul if you don't "get it." :)

The ITR requires a driver's attention in a way that many cars do not.

Those of us who enjoy driving so much that it's actually a hobby will like the ITR. Those of us who view the automobile as a tool for transportation might not like the ITR.

I can't really tell you what you will feel like after a few months with the ITR.

You either get it. Or you don't.
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

George Knighton wrote:You either get it. Or you don't.
:thumbup:

-Dave, who owns a GS-R because only Phairy Yellow ITRs were still available in florida :(
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

if you have to ask yourself this queestion you likely need the GSR.

I've had 2 GSR's and 2 Type-R's and I would never trade my R for a GSR but I also don't mine being on the interstate at 5000 rpms at 80. THe ride being rougher isn't a big deal and car volume wasn't a concern.
Wai
New ITRCA Member

Re: Tough Decision :/

Post by Wai »

AdamF wrote:I don't want to get the car and then find I want to sell it a year from now...
It would most likely happen if you get a GSR..... If you're looking for comfort and luxury, the GSR won't be able to satisfy you for too long. You would probably want to get rid of it after a year from now.
GT Motoring
ProFunction
Password:JDM
Custom Lightz
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

Wai wrote:It would most likely happen if you get a GSR..... If you're looking for comfort and luxury, the GSR won't be able to satisfy you for too long. You would probably want to get rid of it after a year from now.
:middlefinger: my gsr is comfy and luxo biatch. :P
-Dave
Wai
New ITRCA Member

Post by Wai »

Leather for easy cleanup. ;)
GT Motoring
ProFunction
Password:JDM
Custom Lightz
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

Wai wrote:Leather for easy cleanup. ;)
lol ;)
-Dave
AdamF
New ITRCA Member

Post by AdamF »

Wai wrote:
AdamF wrote:I don't want to get the car and then find I want to sell it a year from now...
It would most likely happen if you get a GSR..... If you're looking for comfort and luxury, the GSR won't be able to satisfy you for too long. You would probably want to get rid of it after a year from now.
I guess I have rather low standards as far as luxury goes. The GS-R strikes me as being considerably luxurious. My first car was a 1995 Integra LS, second was a 1961 Austin Mini which was incredibly far from luxurious. Even the old LS was incredibly luxurious by comparison. Nonetheless, I found the GS-R to be plenty plush.

I haven't made the decision yet, still. The Type R is gorgeous, it's fast, it's fun, and it sounds awesome and handles like a beast. The GS-R is comfy, luxurious, and good for cruising while still handling fairly well. I'm rather frustrated at the moment :(.

I appreciate all the help guys :)
joe s
ITRCA Member

Post by joe s »

It's all personal opinion, and what you're going to use your car for. Nothing wrong with a GSR - still puts most other 4 cylinder cars to shame. I really enjoy my R, but there have been times, such as when I'm driving 4+ hoursin marginal weather on the highway, when I would have enjoyed a Cadillac, for chrissakes. However, as soon as I get on a secondary road.......
It's not just the R's speed, or even it's ability to handle curves. I'm quite spoiled by it's level of braking performance/feel, it's general steering precision, how well it's damped despite it's handling capabilities, how 'tight' it is. It will likely be a hard and unfortunately expensive car to replace.
AdamF
New ITRCA Member

Post by AdamF »

Okay, say I get a GS-R. It'd leave me with money to spare, obviously. For say, 2000-2500 dollars, what kind of performance/handling modifications should/could I do? I don't want a loud exhaust since, obviously, I'd be choosing the GS-R for higher level of comfort and a loud exhaust would sorta impede that.

Argh, just when I was about to decide to get the Type R...I scuffed the nose on the 2003 Cooper S I'd borrowed from my father while he's on some trip. Didn't mean to, I was just cleaning it with a sponge and somehow it scuffed it. I was trying to make the car look nice before he got back :(. Anyhow, I'm taking it to the body shop tommorow for repair ($$$ :(). Also, I think my insurance company just quoted me 3800/yr for insurance. Which seems a bit odd since I've no accidents, no tickets, and I get 3.5 GPA in college. I guess that's what I get for being 19 :(. Maybe it's because I work full time and that adds risk or something.
Reid
ITRCA Member

Post by Reid »

AdamF wrote:Okay, say I get a GS-R. It'd leave me with money to spare, obviously. For say, 2000-2500 dollars, what kind of performance/handling modifications should/could I do?
As hard as this may be to do, put the money in the bank.

Drive the car in stock form and autocross it and do high performance driving events with it. Later down the road buy a set of wheels and tires for track use. Perform routine maintenance on it and enjoy the car.

Every time you get the urge to modify the car, remember that you ultimately will not keep this car.
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

Well, the ITR brakes OWN GSR ones.. so I wont even go there.

These parts on my 2000 GSR put down 169whp/123wtq:
AEM CAI
JDM ITR 4-1 header
Carsound 94006 Cat
no power steering belt
18 degrees timing
VAFC (tuned)

Total, that's what? 1200-1400 or whatever.

I went through a few suspensions and have now settled on OEM ITR springs on OEM GSR shocks. Works fine and is softish still. 22mm comptech rear swaybar is also installed. I've since sold the VAFC and installed the power steering belt, in which condition the car put down 160whp/120wtq.

Tq curve was always pretty much flat, although a little more flat with the VAFC installed but it still has decent midrange.

IMO, if you can get the ITR, do it, if only for the brakes and LSD (that's my biggest complaints against the GSR) and you can live with the slightly elevated noise. Cruise control is a PITA to install but can be done.
-Dave
fredtoast
ITRCA Member

Post by fredtoast »

AdamF wrote:. Didn't mean to, I was just cleaning it with a sponge and somehow it scuffed it.
This guy doesn't need an R
98-0658
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

fredtoast wrote:
AdamF wrote:. Didn't mean to, I was just cleaning it with a sponge and somehow it scuffed it.
because he scuffed a car? are you serious?
-Dave
fredtoast
ITRCA Member

Post by fredtoast »

dawhiteboy wrote:
fredtoast wrote:
because he scuffed a car? are you serious?
Because he scuffed it WITH A SPONGE! How is that even possible?
98-0658
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

fredtoast wrote:Because he scuffed it WITH A SPONGE! How is that even possible?
I doubt it is. He scuffed it in some other way or the scuff was already there, at least, that's my opinion of it.
-Dave
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

You guys would take D's R away from him in a heart beat if a scuff is that big a deal.

These aren't show cars . . . .:)
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

Trey wrote:You guys would take D's R away from him in a heart beat if a scuff is that big a deal.

These aren't show cars . . . .:)
well, some are :shock: :shock:
-Dave
ITR862
ITRCA Member

Post by ITR862 »

I was faced with the same desicion after my brother totalled my 00 SI. I chose to get the Type R because frankly I didnt care about comfort but I did find for me it was very comfortable. I drive my ITR about 80 miles everyday and have not yet once complained about comfort. Of course it all depends on if you want to deal with high insurance, lots of attention and theives. If you can live with all that and dont need alot of luxury then I say get the Type R. You wont regret it.
YellowDragon279
ITRCA Member

Post by YellowDragon279 »

Personally I would get the R because ONE it is a limited edition and there aren't a lot of them around. They make for a good conversation piece even with those who aren't into the import scene.

For me there was no question. I went looking specifically for an R. Yes I know a guy who ran 12.8 with his 94 GSR (moderate Mods)
A fast car is fine but If that's all I wanted I would just mod my Civic to hell and call it a day. If you have to ask then maybe a GSR is better for ya. Not to say that a GSR isn't good... It's a Honda and that's what mainly counts :D
Buy that GSR, it's cheaper on insurance and can be modded to be faster than a R is that's what floats your boat.
I do miss my cheap insurance rates and I miss my Sun roof on occasion but I think I'm finally getting over that. I love the Brakes
Stock 178 Hp to the wheels is very noticable over the GSR. I'm not big into leather so I wouldn't miss that, but as for the seats... the R seats seem to sit lower and give you a better driving position than the GSR seats
I drove my R 6 hours to North Carolina and back and although I missed the Cruise control at first (my First weekend having the car) I got use to it. The noise wasn't a problem cause I was driving a 5th gen Civic for the last 5 years and it is louder than my R.
The Only Easy Day was Yesterday
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

178whp stock? uhmm on what dyno, that's about 13-18whp higher than most.
-Dave
YellowDragon279
ITRCA Member

Post by YellowDragon279 »

JDM 98 Spec Type R. I thought it was only 10hp over an average Stock USDM R's (168 wheel Hp)
The Only Easy Day was Yesterday
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

JDM spec R has 2 more HP than a US Type-R. it is 195 hp to 200 ps (197 hp)

a bone stock R is anywhere from 155-170 depending on year and strength. My 98 was 159 and my 2000 was 168.