JDM ITR for HPDEs/track days?

Discuss HPDE, wheel to wheel, autocross, rally, rally-cross, drag racing topics here.
sscguy
ITRCA Member

JDM ITR for HPDEs/track days?

Post by sscguy »

In a possibly vain attempt to keep track driving as cheap as possible, and since I won't be doing wheel-to-wheel competition anytime soon (if ever), I'm considering importing a RHD ITR and taking that out on the track. I'm assuming everything is the same, other than the transmission final drive ratio and the header (I'm not saying anything about sitting on the right side of the car or anything, I figure it's a given here), and talking to Kiwi on HT, it sounds really cheap, like $10,000 for the whole done deal. If I were to do this, I'd get some other beater that wouldn't be so...attractive, to certain unlawful beings in the area, and I'd still get to take the R to the track. Any thoughts?
A bunch of days left 'till Expo '05!
H.I.D's
New ITRCA Member

Re: JDM ITR for HPDEs/track days?

Post by H.I.D's »

:? for the amount of money it cost you could be driving wheel-to-wheel racing! Why dont you just get a hatch, put a good motor in it and have fun. Won't have to worry about shit! Plus with the money you'd be spending you could have a pretty tricked out little hatch.
Anyways thats what i'd do...
Later
-Jon
sscguy
ITRCA Member

Re: JDM ITR for HPDEs/track days?

Post by sscguy »

I won't be wheel-to-wheel racing for several reasons other than money, probably the largest of which is a complete lack of skill. As for putting the engine into a hatch, eh, if I buy an R, it may not be quite as fast as a modified hatchback but it's a complete package. I wouldn't need to be piecing together a brake package here, an engine and tranny in good shape with an ECU and harness there, some kind of better seat than the stock POS seats, etc. And really, with the price hatches are going for these days, I don't see that being anywhere under $10K. For just an engine, tranny, and chassis it would be close to $8 or $9K, and that's without wheels, brakes, interior (seats), or suspension. I could buy a prebuilt one, but I'm always a little hesitant about things like that...
A bunch of days left 'till Expo '05!