What causes clutch chatter

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Dev
ITRCA Member

What causes clutch chatter

Post by Dev »

Ive got a new noise....the whistling I previosly posted is gone...Thanks Jan, it was the pcv, beer.....

I think I have developed dome clutch chatter and I want to get rid of it. All I can describe it as is a ringing when the clutch is engaged. It gets louder when accelerated under load.

Is this common and how do I get rid of it?

thanks
Dev
YellowDragon279
ITRCA Member

Post by YellowDragon279 »

Wow that's a new one on me. Did you check your Fluid and make sure it's full. Is the clutch slipping at all?
The Only Easy Day was Yesterday
Dev
ITRCA Member

Re: What causes clutch chatter

Post by Dev »

Fluid is full..and there is no cluch slip.
TypeR 801
ITRCA Member

Post by TypeR 801 »

I wouldn't call your problem clutch chatter. Clutch chatter is generally when the pressure plate is weakend and instead of engaging smoothly when grabbing the clutch disk it skips repeatedly causing a vibration when engaging.

Your problem sounds more like the one I've got. Not sure exactly since I haven't heard yours, but mine has been described as input shaft noise. That requires a tranny rebuild to fix. Let's hope it's not that.
Dev wrote:Ive got a new noise....the whistling I previosly posted is gone...Thanks Jan, it was the pcv, beer.....

I think I have developed dome clutch chatter and I want to get rid of it. All I can describe it as is a ringing when the clutch is engaged. It gets louder when accelerated under load.

thanks
Dev
Jeff Brown
98 ITR #801
Dev
ITRCA Member

Post by Dev »

.....now scared :shock:

Input shaft noise!! Did it sound a bit like you are running a brake caliper around a disk brake without a pad...only much quiter? And did it go away when you pressed in the clutch?

Dev
TypeR 801
ITRCA Member

Post by TypeR 801 »

Similar. Yep, goes away when clutch is depressed.

If you figure out what yours is and it doesn't require a rebuild, please let me know!
Dev wrote:.....now scared :shock:

Input shaft noise!! Did it sound a bit like you are running a brake caliper around a disk brake without a pad...only much quiter? And did it go away when you pressed in the clutch?

Dev
Jeff Brown
98 ITR #801
Dev
ITRCA Member

Post by Dev »

yeah, no problem
Blazin ITR
New ITRCA Member

Post by Blazin ITR »

Dev wrote:Ive got a new noise....the whistling I previosly posted is gone...Thanks Jan, it was the pcv, beer.....

thanks
Dev
First, How many miles due you have on that clutch and does it go into gear smooth or do you have to baby/force it in gear, because I experienced the same thing with the chatter when shifting gears. So, I took it to South Coast Acura and they test drove my car and the tech couldn't get my car to go into 3rd gear. As a result, from the tech's opinion. It was most likely my clutch needs to be replace and not the trans, since the problem use not gears, but getting it in gear. After, replacing my clutch and flywheel. The car is driving like how I first drove her.

Cal
Dev
ITRCA Member

Post by Dev »

B-ITR...The clutch has 30,000 on it, it's a stock clutch and Im pretty nice to it. It doesnt feel like clutch slip at all..the clutch responds very well.

Going into gear is not an issue, I have zipped the gears once but they did not engage.

Apparently I am not experiencing chatter...just more noise than anything. Nothing seems out of line as far as performance goes..

:roll: I wish I had a microphone to record the sound...

Dev
Bombayite
New ITRCA Member

Post by Bombayite »

sounds like a throw bearing problem. I had the same problem with my FD3. Wnet away after the throw bearings were replaced.

Bombayite
TypeR 801
ITRCA Member

Post by TypeR 801 »

Throwout bearing generally makes noise when you push in the clutch. If the noise goes away when the clutch is in, then it's not the TO bearing.
Bombayite wrote:sounds like a throw bearing problem. I had the same problem with my FD3. Wnet away after the throw bearings were replaced.

Bombayite
Jeff Brown
98 ITR #801
Beasty18C5
ITRCA Member

Post by Beasty18C5 »

I hava a similar problem when my car is idling in neutral there is a chatter once i rev it to 2000rpm the chatter stops when i let it off it comes back. I only have 70000km or 43500miles the clutch is not slipping but i do hear my release bearing too but it totaly has a different sound to it. I went under the car to see if it's the heat shield i tapped it but couldn't hear nothing but i was told there is another layer that could be hiting against each other I will try to unbolt the heatshield this weekend and see.
***Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Stock***
USDM PY 2001 ITR #1111 Turbocharged
CND CW 1997 Type R #255
Daily Driver 1997 Integra RS
Nick248
New ITRCA Member

Post by Nick248 »

Beasty18C5 - I have the same issue/problem. When Idling with the clutch NOT depressed, there is a repetative metal to metal clanging noise (sounds like chatter). Some days its louder than normal and when cold, its not as prominent. When I bring the RPMs up to 2000+ or depress the clutch, the sound goes away.

The sounds we are hearing is due to torsional vibrations vibrating loose clutch disc springs. It is especially common but not limited to folks who have lightened flywheels. This is because the stock flywheel acts as a torsional vibration dampener and when using a lighter flywheel, the vibrations are less dampened. The sounds began roughly 2000 miles after the installation of an ACT PP and SS disc with CM 7.5lb flywheel. An ACT engineer rep filled me in as to what the sounds were. I also had my bud, who is an automotive engineer, listen to it and he was conviced as well.

I was told not to worry about it and that it is common. By any chance, do any of you folks also have a "lighter" flywheel installed?

-Nick
--------------------
Nick 1998 TypeR #248