VIBRATION WHEN STARTING, ANY IDEAS?

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
type_r_556
New ITRCA Member

VIBRATION WHEN STARTING, ANY IDEAS?

Post by type_r_556 »

i just installed my clutch last night in type r, it's a clutchmaster stage three, the install went farely smooth, now when i reversed i noticed that when the clutch starts to grab, the car vibrates pretty bad, but it's not just reverse, but when moving fowards also, but then it goes away as you speed up, it seems only to be when a gear is initially starting, my friend says it's cause the stock itr flywheel is lightened, but i feel something else is wrong, does anyone have any clues what is wrong with the car?
2001 Acura Integra Type R 01-556
Eugene Lee
Bellevue, WA
TypeR 801
ITRCA Member

Re: VIBRATION WHEN STARTING, ANY IDEAS?

Post by TypeR 801 »

There's a lot of stuff it could be and it's hard to tell from 2000 miles away ;) I might suggest taking a look at motor mounts and retorquing to make sure they're on firmly. Then tranny bolts to the engine although those probably aren't it.

Is it your exhaust that's rattling or your motor? I know sometimes when fiddling with the exhaust to remove it you can stretch the hangers. My exhaust vibrates at around 1300-1600 rpms. It's perfectly aligned, but the hangers are stretched and it rubs a little in back.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas since I didn't encounter anything like this during my clutch install.
Jeff Brown
98 ITR #801
RedKroovy
New ITRCA Member

Re: VIBRATION WHEN STARTING, ANY IDEAS?

Post by RedKroovy »

Is the vibration like the one you get when taking off from a stop and not applying enough gas?
98 #0023
You name the vice, I'll name the price.
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

definitely check al your motor mounts like was mentioned.

WHen you say the ITR flywheel is lightened what do you mean? Did you have a measureable amount of weight removed from it? Is it balanced?
type_r_556
New ITRCA Member

Post by type_r_556 »

well problem fixed, it was the mounts, i guess when i lowered the motor to get the tranny off, and raised it up and tightened the mounts, the motor was not set at the right position, thus making the motor sit at the wrong angle, which is naked to the eye to see, but none the less crooked, but yeah, i loosened the mounts, started the motor let it run for two mintues so that the motor would re-align, then i re-torqued the mounts, and now no more giggley wiggley.

about the flywheel, the type r comes with a lighter flywheel then the regular integra's, i use to own a white integ, and i had a ton of flywheels for it, stock one that i personally would lighten, and the one in the type r was lighter, it seems somewhere from a 12 to 15 pound flywheel, which is nice, even the teeth on the outer edge are are thinner in width, they really did a great job building this motor, took attention and detail to a ton of things, even the baffle plate that connects to the tranny next to the oil pan, is replaced with a stiffner aluminum shield to assist in stiffining the motor. i'm just impressed with the itr.
Eugene Lee
Bellevue, WA
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

You are correct ITR flywheel weighs 15 lbs.
type_r_556
New ITRCA Member

Post by type_r_556 »

cool, thanks trey for confirming that, you learn something new everyday, and now i know for sure, hahaha, thanks.
Eugene Lee
Bellevue, WA