shifting w/o the clutch

Discuss HPDE, wheel to wheel, autocross, rally, rally-cross, drag racing topics here.
Jordn7
New ITRCA Member

shifting w/o the clutch

Post by Jordn7 »

I know it is possible to shift without using the clutch if you do it at exactly the right time. what I don't know is, is it feasible for dragracing or racing in general, is it slower or faster than shifting with the clutch? :?:
Speed is relative but always fun.
bbqman
Canadian Director

Re: shifting w/o the clutch

Post by bbqman »

Power-shifting or speed shifting is quite useless for roadracing and is very damaging to the transmission. The possible gain is great out weighed by damage that can or will occur to the tranny.......not a recommended driving practice.
sscguy
ITRCA Member

Post by sscguy »

Just to give some examples:

1. Guy who drag-races a waaaay hopped-up Eclipse, running about 350whp I think. He power-shifts at the strip, but the tranny only lasts for like 3 or 4 races like that. He's aware of this though, and is willing to make that compromise for the extra 0.01 second or whatever.

2. Guy on an Lancer forum thought that a transmission (any sports car transmission apparently) should be able to tolerate power-shifting. Now he's having loads of tranny problems. Go figure.
A bunch of days left 'till Expo '05!
fyhr
New ITRCA Member

Post by fyhr »

or get yourself a dogbox with straight cut cogs and make sure you match the revs correctly... theres an evo6 in sweden where i live that runs such a gearbox, has lasted a year of racing so far, without any problems at all says the owner.

btw it's the fastest evo6 in the world, http://www.jrm-racing.se/
1Greyteg
New ITRCA Member

Post by 1Greyteg »

fyhr wrote:or get yourself a dogbox with straight cut cogs and make sure you match the revs correctly... theres an evo6 in sweden where i live that runs such a gearbox, has lasted a year of racing so far, without any problems at all says the owner.

btw it's the fastest evo6 in the world, http://www.jrm-racing.se/
Yeah but for most of us it's just not worth it besides not being legal for club and series classing.
where am I?
Wai
New ITRCA Member

Post by Wai »

fyhr wrote:btw it's the fastest evo6 in the world, http://www.jrm-racing.se/
Fastest as in what? I know that JUN Evo5 (superlemon) is hella fast. So is HKS Evo7. Both of which have been breaking track records in Asia.
GT Motoring
ProFunction
Password:JDM
Custom Lightz
BudMan
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by BudMan »

Jordn7 wrote:I know it is possible to shift without using the clutch if you do it at exactly the right time. what I don't know is, is it feasible for dragracing or racing in general, is it slower or faster than shifting with the clutch? :?:
Try to learn this process on a crappy daily driven car. My old Honda accord was the tester...

I think it's worthy to learn as a 'back-up' only option. I wouldn't intend on racing that way unless I'm dealing with a bs clutch on championship day (which means I didn't prepare the car very well). Today's performance clutches are beautiful things. They handle the power & the volume of shifting that a club racing car will do.

BTW - until you are VERY good at the no-clutch shifting, you won't be faster anyway. 1 missed shift & you've lost all time you gained by doing it correctly several times.