DC5 Type-S into R

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
ricky1969
New ITRCA Member

DC5 Type-S into R

Post by ricky1969 »

I know there are a lot of things that need to be done to make this happen. I am wondering if anyone knows if I remove the moonroof from the car and make it into a regular roof would the cutting for the moonroof still affect my handling or would it be negated. Any opinion would be appreciated.

Thank you.
hondafanatic
New ITRCA Member

Re: DC5 Type-S into R

Post by hondafanatic »

I dont think that moon roofs necessaraly decrease strengh as add weight and parts that are unnecessary.

the thin sheetmetal that the roof is made of is not going to transfer any load without buckeling. its the thicker sheemetal and where it folds near the pillars that provide the stiffness.
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

hondafanatic wrote:I dont think that moon roofs necessaraly decrease strengh as add weight and parts that are unnecessary.

the thin sheetmetal that the roof is made of is not going to transfer any load without buckeling. its the thicker sheemetal and where it folds near the pillars that provide the stiffness.
Actually the sunroof goes right where a cross beam would go on a lot of cars. Not sure about the DC5 though.
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
George Knighton
ITRCA Member

Post by George Knighton »

ricky1969 wrote:I am wondering if anyone knows if I remove the moonroof from the car and make it into a regular roof would the cutting for the moonroof still affect my handling or would it be negated.
In theory, an open moonroof increases the body flexing in extreme maneouvres.

However, with the new designs like the DC5 and the EP3, the chassis are a lot stiffer than the older DC2, and I'd guess that the main reason the DC5-R doesn't have a moonroof has more to do with weight and kafuffle and less to do w/chassis rigidity.

My EP3, even with a moonroof, is pretty darned stiff. Jack Harris thinks the EP3 (with always has a moonroof in USDM), is the best, stiffest Honda chassis ever, out of the box.

I'm not really sure what your goals are, here, but if you're just trying to get DC5-R performance out of your RSX-S, I really wouldn't worry about the moonroof so much. I don't think you lose that much chassis stiffness because of the moonroof, and whatever flexing exists because of the moonroof is virtually negated when the roof is closed.

Does the RSX Base have a moonroof? If you're really determined, maybe one of these would be a better starting point for your project.
sscguy
ITRCA Member

Post by sscguy »

Kafuffle? Must be an old guy thing.... :wink:
A bunch of days left 'till Expo '05!
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

sscguy wrote:Kafuffle? Must be an old guy thing.... :wink:
lol

it means confrontation, fuss, chaotic situation, et cetera.

the way whorehey was using it I assume he meant "fuss".
-Dave
sscguy
ITRCA Member

Post by sscguy »

It's an actual word? I just assumed it was some sort of slang...heh heh heh
A bunch of days left 'till Expo '05!
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

sscguy wrote:It's an actual word? I just assumed it was some sort of slang...heh heh heh
it is slang I believe.
-Dave
ricky1969
New ITRCA Member

Post by ricky1969 »

Thanks for your help everybody. i am just interested in having a older GEN honda and a new Gen Honda. I like the RSX betta then I do the SI Civic. Late to all. I cant wait to meet w/ some of you all.