Question for you guys that have AMSOIL oil

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
kabob
ITRCA Member

Question for you guys that have AMSOIL oil

Post by kabob »

Trey, you especially since you AutoX like I'm trying to do more often :)

Anyways, I just changed my oil to the stuff 1000 miles ago and was wondering if it's a good idea to go by the recommended 10k oil filter change/25k oil change interval that Amsoil recommends? My head says "No, you'd be an idiot to put your engine in jeopardy like that consider how you drive and track the car" :?

Would you guys recommend more frequent maintenance?

Thanks again for all the help and support you guys so generously give here on itrca.com. I swear, I love you all! :oops: :D
jetydosa
suite 200

Re: Question for you guys that have AMSOIL oil

Post by jetydosa »

I use Amsoil as well and have been very pleased with it. However I do not follow the extended drain intervals. I think those drain intervals are *possible*, but only under ideal service conditions. I change mine usually between 3-4k.
Do not blow compressed air into your mouth or ears.
kabob
ITRCA Member

Post by kabob »

But what's the point of using Amsoil if you change it every 3k-4k miles, anyway? It's too hard to get (I had to buy a case at a private track that was being rented out by a Subaru Club to use for the day) and I was wondering how much merit there was to the claimed service intervals =\
jetydosa
suite 200

Post by jetydosa »

Its not that hard to get? You can buy it online at http://www.amsoil.com. Better yet, get some friends together, pay the $10 and become a preferred customer. Order a couple of cases and the price comes down to about Mobil 1 level (~$5 qt shipped I think) and arguably performs better.

And I think the extended intervals are fine, I just wouldnt want to run 10k miles worth of autox and HPDEs on 1 change.
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

I also change my oil closer to the normal intervals. I don't stress if i go over 3000 but if i am racing and such I change before 5000 miles.

It is easy to get like jetydosa said and costs about $5.50 shipped per qt. I buy it cause other oils are poor performers or because the high end oils like amsoil are at highway robery prices.

Trey
itr2k587
New ITRCA Member

Post by itr2k587 »

i like royal purple. anyone else running that in their ride?
97 TYPE-R 312
Mid Atlantic Director

Post by 97 TYPE-R 312 »

I run amsoil. I sell it too. I haven't experienced any bad experiences and have run it since break in at the 12K mile interval. I know Warren loves the oil filters for his big block! lol

-Victor
97 TYPE-R 312
06 TSX 6MT NAVI
09 Ninja 250R
VPR Motorsports
Sponsoring EXPO 03-10
Mid Atlantic Dealer for Cobalt Friction, Sparco, Bell, Amsoil
CPR
New ITRCA Member

Post by CPR »

Which AMSOIL product do you guys use...XL-7500 or the Regular?
kabob
ITRCA Member

Post by kabob »

I'll check my supply at home but I'm pretty sure it's the regular.
jetydosa
suite 200

Post by jetydosa »

I use regular Amsoil in the R, but the 7500 in the CR-V b/c the CR-V calls for stupid 5w-20. Both are good oils, but the reg oil is true GroupIV synthetic, whearas the XL-7500 is hydrocracked Group3.