Almost finished....Finally!!

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Almost finished....Finally!!

Post by Aj »

Well after months of waiting, I finally got my motor back from Endyn in Texas, and I must say, even though I had a couple of issues, I am very happy with the work they did.

For those of you wondering, here is a list of all the stuff that I have done:

Eagle Rods, Endyn Rollerwave Pistons 12.8:1 (variation on wiseco pistons), 2.0L Golden Eagle re-sleave, Cometic head gasket, radius oil pump(actually made a big difference), Ferrea Valves, Ferrea valve guides, Ferrea valve seals, Ferrea valve spring seats, Custom lathed valve seats with 3-angle valve job, Skunk2 Ti-retainers, Skunk2 valve springs, Skunk2 Stage-2 camshafts, Skunk2 Cam gears, Clutchmaster 7.5lb aluminum flywheel, Clutchmaster clutch and pressure plate, Port and Polish on the head done by Larry at Endyn, Port match intake manifold, all ARP hardware, Comptech Cold Box and intake, Comptech Header, RC310cc injectors, Wahlboro fuel pump, AEM fuel rail, B&M fuel pressure regulator and Gauge, Mugen thermostat, Spoon Radiator Cap, Spoon Drain plugs, Spoon Resivoir covers, H&R springs, Skunk2 front camber kit, Engal rear camber kit, EBC rotors, Hawk pads, DC rear strut tower bar (didnt want to cut that rear panel), Energy suspension motor mount inserts(a must have), Bosch plugs 1 heat range cooler(on my car, made 1 more horse then Iridium, go figure?), Hella HID kit, Skunk2 P28 ECU, Apex-i V-AFC, Autometer gauges, Energy suspension shift linkage bushings (made no difference), Sparco pedals (fit perfect, pain to get on), autometer pin shift light(don't like really big tachs), HAMP Synergy filters, and a hell of a lot of stereo stuff.

I'm sure there is a bunch of stuff that I forgot to mention, but all those of you who ask, what makes a good all motor setup, this is my opinion!

Let me know what you guys think, and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Aj
pUrExTc
ITRCA Member

Post by pUrExTc »

That must have cost you a pretty penny! Why did you go with the Clutchmaster over ACT? any particular reason? How's the Comptech Airbox...is it noisy like AEM's (it's fun while you first have it...but after a while, it's like SHUT UP!). As for the Apex'i VTEC A-FC (etc), do you tune them yourselves? Part of the reason why I'm going with a Mugen ECU, is because I don't want to hassle with that, everytime I want to either race my car, or drive it daily (for fuel economy).
List your stuff next time! Reading all those things seperated by comma's makes my eyes feel like :shock:
'98 Acura Integra Type-R
'03 Honda CBR600RR
Surgeon General's Warning: It's OK to Smoke V8's
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

Icebox is quieter. I have one of each. I like the sound of the Icebox better but the stupid horn to my air filer broke so I tossed the AEM back in.

VAFC does have to be tuned by you but just once. Mugen ECU for the fact that you don't have to do anything to it isn't really the way to go. I think for the money you shoudl oook at the VAFC and find someone in the area to help you or get a Hondata and drive to an authorized tuner.

AJ,

looks good. Funny to read because you do go, hrm, wonder why he picked those or that . . .

My thought was wonder why you picked the icebox (I like it but we all know it makes less by just a little and you don't seem to worry about noise) and why the comptech header? Is it a 2.5" collector?
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Um, well.....

Post by Aj »

I like the comptech ice box, becuase it sounds very similar to the stock box, and as he said, on all the other intakes I've had, you frequently just want them to shut up! Aside from that, it made just under a half horsepower more on the dyno then the Injen CAI I had, so what the hell, I stuck with it.

As far as the comptech headers, at the time I bought them, I was very concerned with keeping my warranty, and in south FLA all the dealers will warranty comptech stuff for some reason or another, but no it is not a 2.5inch collector, but better then nothing at this point, aside from that, I'm opperating on a college student budget, and can't curently afford anything better.

With regards to the VAFC, once you tune it, you leave it alone, it actually has settings to different throttle possitions, so if your not getting on it, it'll automatically adjust the fuel curves for best economy. As far as the Mugen ECU, it works well stock, and with their intake cam, but other then that, I think you'll be very disapointed that you blew $1300 on an ECU.

I chose clutchmaster over ACT because I had a friend that had it sitting brand new in his garage, with the pressure plate, that he gave me for $60, so I really couldn't resist, especially because I had my tranny off to put on the lightened flywheel at the time.

Hey, Trey, what do you run???????
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

What do you mean what do I run? Parts or times?

I think you biggest gains from what you have would be to sell the comptech header and get ANY 2.5" collector header. I prefer the JDM 4-1 on a budget and the SMS or Toda if you can swing it.
steves98itr247
New ITRCA Member

Post by steves98itr247 »

Aj, how much did you pay for all the labor over at endyn?
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Parts

Post by Aj »

I meant what do you have as far as motor work, and even your car(PY,FBP,CW, and year)???

I'd agree with you about getting a new header, but as I said before, especially after the outrageous bill I just got for my motor, I have $0 left, and will be a very long time before I'm able to do any parts shopping for my car.

As far as labor over at Endyn, I think it cam up to right around $1800, that's for the P&P, all the machine work, and the assembly.

Later guys!
Aj
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

I have a 98 CW R #0940.

Has
AEM/Icebox (I switch back and for depending on my mood)
JDM 4-1 / Carsound Cat (53006)
Hondata Intake Manifold Gasket
Stock Exhaust
00/01 ITR Intake Cam
2000 R Throttle Body (Not sure there is a difference but this is just by chance and free)
Toda Gen 1 Cam gears
Apex Power FC
Odyssey PC625 Battery (13.2 lbs)

Non-Motor
TEIN HA Suspension
Legend Coupe Front Calipers
Hawk HP+ Front pads
Mazda Millenia Wheels

That is pretty much it unless you are interested in my few cosmetic mods.
JDMITR98
New ITRCA Member

Post by JDMITR98 »

Hey Aj it seems to me like you know alot about horsepower and so I was wondering if I could get your opinion on the best way to spend $2,000 into a 98 ITR to get the best performance and reliability. Thank you, all opinions welcome!
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

$2000, hmmmm....

Post by Aj »

Well best way to spend 2G, hmmmm, you could always send it to me :lol: . Just kidding, but seriously, if I were to spend $2K, it would depend on what was already done to the car. If stock, I would start with a nice intake, a good set of headers, A lightened flywheel, A test pipe or high flow cat, a nice QUIET exhaust, and some HIDs (always nice to be able to see where you are going in such a hurry). It depends on where your priorities lie, and what your future plans are for the car. If you plan to go turbo, obviously you would go a totaly different route, but if you plan to go all motor, you're better off starting with the basics, this way, it'll give you an idea as to how you want to go about building your motor, and if you ever plan to do more.

The stuff I listed is simple, and can always be put back to stock if you ever run into any issues. Most, if not all of it, depending on how mechanically inclined you are can be done in your driveway with a metric socket and open ended wrench set (I'd pay someone to do the flywheel if you can, not worth the hassle to save the money, trust me!!!!).

Let me know what you are looking to accomplish, and I can answer your question far better!!!

Later,
Aj
JDMITR98
New ITRCA Member

Post by JDMITR98 »

hello sorry AJ I guess I was a little vague, I am looking to put 2,000 dollars into motor work I already have intake, headers, exhaust, cat, camgears, and plug wires. I already have a jdm front end, full bodykit, and skunk2 coils so I would really like to put the 2g's into motor work, what would be your opinion on pistons, rods, cams...etc....

Thank you.
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

Well, you're gonna spend right around 700-900 on pistons and rods, I'd go with either eagle, pauter, or crower rods, they are the ones I have had the best sucess with.

For pistons, I'm currently using the Endyn Roller Wave Pistons, which I'm very happy with, otherwise I would suggest JE or Wiseco.

For the top end, I would suggest Ferrea for the valve train components (springs, retainers, and valves) if you can splurge and spend a couple extra bucks, otherwise if you're building on a budget like most of us, go with Skunk2, I think they have the same quality and attention to detail, and for the most part will perform the same, with a slightly less resiliance factor (the "oops" factor).

As far as cams go, I really like the skunk2 cams, I've tried most of the Japanese tuners you hear about day to day, and would honestly rather save the money that they charge because of name sake and scarsity.

You should be looking to spend in the neighborhood of about 2500-2800 in parts to do it right.

If you look at the NA section of the forums, you can look at the setup that I run, which I've been very happy with, and so far as yet to have any problems.

I hope that helped, if not, be a little more specific, and I'll see if I can help any further.

Later!
Aj
TypeRPaul
New ITRCA Member

Post by TypeRPaul »

Hey Aj,
what octane are you running on and what is your whp? and if you don't know it what would u guess ur whp is? also why did you go with the cm flywheel and not some one like spoon or toda?...just curious, sick motor wish mine was that built....im guessing ur warrenty has run out by now though huh?
01 nbp ITR
-AEM CAI
-Apexi N1 cat-back exaust
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

93 baby

Post by Aj »

I run good old 93 octane pump gas, I had to back the timing up like a degree, back to 15 (stock is 16). As far as WHP, I don't have the fogiest idea, but as you asked, If I were to guess, after I go spend some time on the dyno doing a little tuning, I'd say in the neighbor hood of like low 220's maybe if I'm lucky high 220's.

As far as the flywheel, I wanted an aluminum flywheel, which both the Spoon, and Toda are chromoly, and also a hell of a lot heavier.

Name isn't always everything, and often it depends on what your looking for a part to do. I didn't want to knife edge my crank, but wanted to lose so weight off the rotating assembly, and that seemed like a good way to do it.

On a side note, we've had problems with chromoly steel flywheels chipping teeth on our starters, not to mention the Jun ones we were running for a while which are chromoly tended to warp rather quickly, I think it's more due to the fact that they shave a little too much off, but not sure if it's because it's chromoly alone.

And about the warranty thing, my warranty is still good till Nov. of 2005, or another 22000 miles, all the motor work I have done is internal, and unless the start taking the stuff apart, I don't think I'll have any problems with my warranty work, so far, I've just tossed a hat over my Vafc, and just made sure I switched ECU's back to the factory OBD2 before I go in. There's not a lot that would go bad, other then maybe some sensors, and I think that they wouldn't look into it enough to find out that I moded my car. I don't have a cut valve cover, and the only things that are noticable that I have different are the headers, and intake, which are both comptech, which they warranty anyway. on top of that, if all else fails, I just throw the tech some money, and they ussualy don't say anything.

Later!
eviltwin
New ITRCA Member

Post by eviltwin »

hey aj if you anywhere near close to miami, i would love to set up a run with you. have you had any chance to runt he car? has it been dropped into the chasis yet? mine should be out of the shop in the next 2 weeks or so.
ride on to the real, death to the fakers
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

Actually I live up in Boca, which is between lauderdale, and west palm, so I'm not that far away. We all go up to like the area by Sunrise on some Tuesday nights with mostly VW's, and meet in Boca on Monday nights, which is mainly imports, if you're interested, email me, and I'll tell you where we meet.

My car isn't quite ready yet, I've been driving it around, but I really need some new injectors, and I'm pretty sure that I'm gonna go standalone.

Let me know, Later!!
Aj
pUrExTc
ITRCA Member

Post by pUrExTc »

how is the street racing scene in florida anyway?
'98 Acura Integra Type-R
'03 Honda CBR600RR
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Imports

Post by Aj »

Depends on where you are, but in south Florida it's pretty damn good, I'm friends with like 8 other kids with ITRs, and actually, I'm trying to get a picture of the 8 of us for honda tunning or something.

Otherwise, there are places where imports hang out like 5 nights out of the week, and the others, you can just drive around and find races.

I'd give it an 8 out of 10, California being 10.

Wish I were back home.....

Aj
eviltwin
New ITRCA Member

Post by eviltwin »

yea, i used to drive around with a crew of type r's it was like 10 of us at one point. we used to meet up every tues and thurs. and ride out in color coordination. yellow an dblack, unfortunatly the only 2 white ones arent street legal so they couldnt come.
hey my car needs some good break in time, so you have time to get what you need. we can make it a friendly race, i just want to see how my bitch runs and you seem to have a similar set-up.
scene here in miam sucks, if you ask me. it is nothing like it used ot be back around 2 years ago, much less before that.
ride on to the real, death to the fakers
pUrExTc
ITRCA Member

Post by pUrExTc »

alright! cali is a 10. lolx. the only problem with the street racing scene here in cali, are the numbers of posers, wannabes, and stupids. if you've been to the races here in cali, then you know what i'm talkin' about. i don't mind the races gettin' raided every so often, half the fun is running from the cops. but once someone stupid comes along and crashes, might as well retire from the scene for 3 months or so. all in all though, it's still a lot of fun.
'98 Acura Integra Type-R
'03 Honda CBR600RR
Vtec_Burnin'
New ITRCA Member

Post by Vtec_Burnin' »

where is this place by boca...maybe i'll stop by.
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

Well, our show up has been scarce since the cops have been making regular interludes, especially since a turbo IS300 made it's way into a light pole recently near by where we hang out.

Any way, the Lowes on 441 and Palmetto meets up around ten - ten thirty on mondays, there's ussualy around 40-50 random cars.

Saturday is the night to come out though, down at highway 9 in miami, about 200-300 cars show up, and it's ussualy pretty kool.

Any way, I gotta go to the dentist.

Later,
Aj
Dr Who
New ITRCA Member

Post by Dr Who »

for 1800, that wasnt a bad deal at all. congrats on the tune up :D