Is your stock tach accurate?

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
ITR97
New ITRCA Member

Is your stock tach accurate?

Post by ITR97 »

i just found out that when i hit vtec in thrid gear my tach says 6000 so my tach is 300rpm faster. is there anyway to fix that?
so if my tach read redline at 8700 thats when my engine is really at redline?
kabob
ITRCA Member

Post by kabob »

No, it's hitting at 5700 rpm still, it's just hard to auditorily hear the exact switchover point.
bbqman
Canadian Director

Re: Is your stock tach accurate?

Post by bbqman »

I think most of our tachs are off. Personally, my vtec kicks in at an indicated 6,200rpm and I can rev beyond 9000k before cutoff!!

Don't matter none, I shift at cutoff during racing anyways....
opie
ITRCA Member

Post by opie »

My cross over is dead set @ 5,700 rpm. My tach bounces @ 9,000. A friend of mine has a PY itr that bounces @ 9,200 and a friend with a NBP ITR that bounces @ 8,900. Any one know what's up with the fluctuations on the R's rev limiter?
Dupes
ITRCA Member

Post by Dupes »

I hit VTEC at somethin like 5800, and cutoff not far from 9000, id say 8900
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

OPIE112 wrote:My cross over is dead set @ 5,700 rpm. My tach bounces @ 9,000. A friend of mine has a PY itr that bounces @ 9,200 and a friend with a NBP ITR that bounces @ 8,900. Any one know what's up with the fluctuations on the R's rev limiter?
rev limiter is the same on all the cars. the tachs are NOT accurate at high rpms.
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
opie
ITRCA Member

Post by opie »

dawhiteboy wrote:
OPIE112 wrote:My cross over is dead set @ 5,700 rpm. My tach bounces @ 9,000. A friend of mine has a PY itr that bounces @ 9,200 and a friend with a NBP ITR that bounces @ 8,900. Any one know what's up with the fluctuations on the R's rev limiter?
rev limiter is the same on all the cars. the tachs are NOT accurate at high rpms.
Aww shucks, I thought mine was blessed from the factory. Thanks for shootin me down Dave :D
otb2000itr
New ITRCA Member

Post by otb2000itr »

Best way to see what u are really hitting rev limit, or what your real rpm is, is to get an Apexi Rev Speed meter....im a big fan of it...its a real time tach, playback tach, rough estimate on quarter-mile, and good for use on the road course cause you can do lap times on it.
-----------------------
FBP 00 ITR #1117
B2FiNiTY
ITRCA Member

Post by B2FiNiTY »

My stock tach is way off. Totally unreliable.
George Knighton
ITRCA Member

Post by George Knighton »

If it makes you feel any better, my tach bounces at an indicated 9500.

I know it's really only 9000.

You get used to it. :) Not such a big deal, really.
PUNKITR
New ITRCA Member

Post by PUNKITR »

damn.....so howfar can I rev my R, I've shifted at 8500 RPM, never brave enough to keep my foot in it past there. This is a stupid noob question but will it hurt if I keep my foot in it just to see where it cuts? I get really nervous when I'm up around 8500 RPM'S :shock:
Thanks, Matt
2004 wrx
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

PUNKITR wrote:damn.....so howfar can I rev my R, I've shifted at 8500 RPM, never brave enough to keep my foot in it past there. This is a stupid noob question but will it hurt if I keep my foot in it just to see where it cuts? I get really nervous when I'm up around 8500 RPM'S :shock:
No, it wont hurt to hit the limiter. just keep your foot in it and when it bounces look at the tach.

Of course, don't do that with traffic around you..
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
WTypeRogerX
New ITRCA Member

Post by WTypeRogerX »

Is there a different cutoff when in neutral? Last week, at the track, I accidentally moved the shifter out of gear twice and bounced the rev limiter, but when I looked at the tach, it was 8000. Usually I rev as close to 8400 as possible, shifting around 8200-8300 rpm. Maybe the revs dropped quicker than I could look, but I'm definitely sure it revs past 8200 rpm when in gear.
ITR97
New ITRCA Member

Post by ITR97 »

PUNKITR wrote:damn.....so howfar can I rev my R, I've shifted at 8500 RPM, never brave enough to keep my foot in it past there. This is a stupid noob question but will it hurt if I keep my foot in it just to see where it cuts? I get really nervous when I'm up around 8500 RPM'S :shock:
ahah i know it feel like your engine going to explode ahha
opie
ITRCA Member

Post by opie »

WTypeRogerX wrote:Is there a different cutoff when in neutral? Last week, at the track, I accidentally moved the shifter out of gear twice and bounced the rev limiter, but when I looked at the tach, it was 8000. Usually I rev as close to 8400 as possible, shifting around 8200-8300 rpm. Maybe the revs dropped quicker than I could look, but I'm definitely sure it revs past 8200 rpm when in gear.
Learn your R guy :lol: . R's are as far as I know the only DOHC VTEC's that can remain in VTEC after a shift. Meaning 1st ..bah..VTEC shift, rpm's drop, 2nd still VTECing. Other dohc's drop out of vtec and you have to wait a tick to get back to the BAHh. I know that made sense to someone :lol:
Long post short hold onto gears a lil longer! :wink:
PUNKITR
New ITRCA Member

Post by PUNKITR »

Well I discovered my "cutoff" is just past 8500, I did it at a stop sign, then I ran it right to the cutoff for the first 3 gears, I think I was shifting at 8500, the one time I swore the tach was closer to 9k when I shifted. It is unreal how far the motor revs.
Learn your R guy . R's are as far as I know the only DOHC VTEC's that can remain in VTEC after a shift. Meaning 1st ..bah..VTEC shift, rpm's drop, 2nd still VTECing. Other dohc's drop out of vtec and you have to wait a tick to get back to the BAHh. I know that made sense to someone
Long post short hold onto gears a lil longer!
I know exactly what you are talking about..BAHHHHH :lol:
Thanks, Matt
2004 wrx
Eva01
ITRCA Member

Post by Eva01 »

Comparing the Rev numbers from my VAFC show that the tach is about 200-250 revs higher at 80mph.