Need input on cars

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
3_diamond
New ITRCA Member

Need input on cars

Post by 3_diamond »

Thinking of Evolution or Type R. Been thinking of this for months. Has anyone traded their type R with an EVO? Or does anyone own both? What is your experience with both cars? Or if anyone has opinion about the 2 cars? I love the R cause of the light weights, high rev limiter, NA=more reliability, handling, limited, better looking, resale value. I love the Evo cause awd, turbo=faster, handling, 4doors, looks not too bad. what do you guys think?
opie
ITRCA Member

Re: Need input on cars

Post by opie »

3_diamond wrote:I love the R cause of the light weights, high rev limiter, NA=more reliability, handling, limited, better looking, resale value.
Stick around this board a while and check out Honda-tech, N/A isn't always more relliable :lol: . It depends on what you want the car for. I bought my R cause I thought they were amazing drag cars, then, the more I searched and researched I learned that they are great track cars. I wouldn't trade my R for the world. But the inevitability of its theft is very real.

If you park your car outside of if you are going to commute to work or school with it then don't get it.PERIOD

Ido that with mine and it sucks, my R has made me grow grey @ 20!

If you cant give it a good home don't buy it! It will get stolen no matter where you live they are everywhere!
3_diamond wrote:I love the Evo cause awd, turbo=faster, handling, 4doors, looks not too bad. what do you guys think?
If you are substituting speed for looks you may get tired of an EVO quick. Everyone wants a good looking car.

Long story short, the only one who can answer this :?: is you!
joe s
ITRCA Member

Post by joe s »

You'll obviously get predominantly positive things said about the R, as this is its forum. It's a fabulous road and track car, very fun, Honda-reliable, and fairly comfortable, especially considering its performance. I love my R, and think it's as good as you can get for any reasonable amount of $.
I too think the Evo is pretty cool looking, (esp in silver!), and it has great performance numbers; not to mention the automotive press really likes it. I drove one recently and came away thinking how quick it was, fun to drive, and how STIFF it was; really stiff. Of course, I'm an old fart but thought I wouldn't want to live with that stiff a ride on Ohio roads on an exclusive basis. The seats were great and the steering wheel nice, but the rest of the interior was not overly inspiring; the shifter good (though not as smooth as a Honda), and the overall look esp for a 4-door, pretty good. Fit & finish were good, though not as good as a Honda product. All that for - gulp - $32 large. Lots-o-money.
Can't really lose either way. Good luck.
3_diamond
New ITRCA Member

Post by 3_diamond »

thanks for the replies. I got question for JOE S. First could you compare the stiffness of the 2 cars, the steering response, and how would you describe the handling of both cars? Thanks!
joe s
ITRCA Member

Post by joe s »

Please remember, I've owned the ITR since new ('98) and only took the Evo for a test drive (though a pretty good one). To answer your questions, though, the Evo's ride was a lot stiffer than the R's - the R was much better damped. I think the Evo's steering was quicker, too, - nice steering wheel, too - as I'm sure the R has more turns lock to lock (seems so at least). Handling comparisons between a 4wd and fwd are really difficult; the Evo is definitely a great handler, and the 4wd does contribute to that. The R, though, is so fluid, so intuitive in the way it handles. Everything works in perfect harmony. Though it's not as quick, I prefer the Acura to live with on a daily basis. Like I said before, tho, you can't lose either way. Hope this helps - good luck!
snookerblack7
New ITRCA Member

Post by snookerblack7 »

I'm seriously considering getting the EVO too.. but for whatever reasons, Canada hasn't got them yet. I love my R too, but I'm not a die-hard. I want the rawest, stiffest most powerful stock road car available(hence my R). Can't wait to drive one.
Renzuko
New ITRCA Member

Post by Renzuko »

I have driven evo's and I own an R, I think the R is a better all around vehicle... plus I have had problems with Mitsus in the past
Justin Klemgold
ITRCA Member

Post by Justin Klemgold »

The R is hardly a drag car in my opinion. It's 14 second car, how is that a drag car? The numbers are amazing for a four banger, but it ins't a drag car.

It was born for the track and thats what honda intended it to be for. It's 8 year technology and it is STILL one of the best handling FWD cars you can buy....on 8 year technology!!!
Skills
New ITRCA Member

Post by Skills »

EVO VIIIHAHAHAHAHAHA. mitsubishi has gon downhill ever since the evo VI imho. as far as value i would deffinatly stay away from the evo! if you are looking at turbo AWD in that price range hands down you gotta get a STI! honestly the only thing an evo is, is a overpriced wrx. ive spent much less on my wrx with all the mods on it and ill spank a modded evo. maybe not modded to the same extent as my wrx is but thats only because i start at a 70+hp disadvantage when both in stock form.

Ryan
(buy my wrx so i can pick up a ITR)