rollcage?

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
ITR97
New ITRCA Member

rollcage?

Post by ITR97 »

does anyone here know where i can find some infomation about rollcage.
any company make them? the only one i can think of its I-O port racing
i was thinking of a six point or 8 point but i beileve the scca will allow six point cage.

thnx guys.
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Re: rollcage?

Post by Dave-ROR »

ITR97 wrote:does anyone here know where i can find some infomation about rollcage.
any company make them? the only one i can think of its I-O port racing
i was thinking of a six point or 8 point but i beileve the scca will allow six point cage.

thnx guys.
SCCA will want one welded in for club racing, not sure exactly what you are looking for.

The two main US ones are
AutoPower
Kirk Racing

I prefer the Kirk design but others prefer the Autopower design. If this is for autox/street car then stick with a 4 point.
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
George Knighton
ITRCA Member

Re: rollcage?

Post by George Knighton »

ITR97 wrote:i beileve the scca will allow six point cage.
There isn't a lot of racing in SCCA for the ITR unless you're being graduated to a series that's only nominally associated with the SCCA, like World Challenge.

The NASA Honda Challenge allowed bolt in cages, but they're being eliminated in the new rules.

I think you'd better tell us exactly what you have in mind, or tackle the rule book for the series you are contemplating.

Look at Section 15.6 here: http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules-form ... 03_CCR.pdf. No one really makes a cage like that. They are all custom manufactured to suit the customer and the rules.

If you are after just having a good time on road courses, you can start out in HPDE without rollover protection in your ITR. When you start getting faster, you can get an ERW Autopower four point rollbar that doesn't interfere with your interior too much.

You really have to give us more information about what you're doing. LOL...
ITR97
New ITRCA Member

Post by ITR97 »

i want to do road racing. but i rather have the saftey of the rollcage just incase. i think kirk is a good cage but it has too many bars. was thinking of the autopower 6 point cage its a bolt on cage but i heard u can weld it in for more strength. if i go custom it will cost too much, unless do u know some good people or stores that manufacutre custom cages. ?
George Knighton
ITRCA Member

Post by George Knighton »

ITR97 wrote:i want to do road racing. but i rather have the saftey of the rollcage just incase.
Just so long as you know that the bolt-in cage will most likely have to come out of the car when you start racing.
i think kirk is a good cage but it has too many bars. was thinking of the autopower 6 point cage its a bolt on cage but i heard u can weld it in for more strength.
Yes, you can weld it in. If the person doing it bolsters the attachment points at the same time, the cage will be slightly stronger. However, most CCR aren't going to allow ERW cages, which is all that Autopower makes right now.
if i go custom it will cost too much, unless do u know some good people or stores that manufacutre custom cages. ?
We have a very good cage manufacturer in NoVA in the Manassas area. It's $1200-$1500 or so for a strong custom cage in a car like the ITR.

This is more expensive than your Autopower suggestion, to be sure, but in the long run will be cheaper because you won't have to buy another cage when you're really racing. A custom cage can be designed to allow easy entry/exit, too. :)

Everything I'm saying is based on taking you at your word, that you are really "going racing."

Even a series like Honda Challenge, which was designed for entry level drivers and a minimum of sponsorship, gets more expensive than I think you are really aware of. My advice would be to have $15,000 in a demand account at the beginning of the season. :) That's assuming your car's already set up!

I don't know how much experience you have, but perhaps you'll come to your senses and just relax in HPDE/HPDS for a couple of years.
ITR97
New ITRCA Member

Post by ITR97 »

Just so long as you know that the bolt-in cage will most likely have to come out of the car when you start racing.

how come?

i am not like going all out racing, but something like the itr expo type of racing. but i would still like to stick a cage in there. not a roll bar because that wont do anything if the car flips.
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

ITR97 wrote:how come?

i am not like going all out racing, but something like the itr expo type of racing. but i would still like to stick a cage in there. not a roll bar because that wont do anything if the car flips.
Because all sanctioning bodies that I know of as of 2004 require a welded in cage, and don't allow the type that autopower is currently making (ERW).

ITR expo is NOT RACING. It's a high performance driving school. IT IS NOT A RACE. I want that to be extremely clear.

A rollbar will protect in MOST rollovers, not in all, but most. A cage on the other hand can be FATAL in a traffic accident that involves a side impact. Which is more likely? That's for you to decide but please understand that a roll cage in a car that sees the street CAN be quite dangerous.
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
ITR97
New ITRCA Member

Post by ITR97 »

Dave-ROR wrote:
ITR97 wrote:how come?

Because all sanctioning bodies that I know of as of 2004 require a welded in cage, and don't allow the type that autopower is currently making (ERW).

ITR expo is NOT RACING. It's a high performance driving school. IT IS NOT A RACE. I want that to be extremely clear.

A rollbar will protect in MOST rollovers, not in all, but most. A cage on the other hand can be FATAL in a traffic accident that involves a side impact. Which is more likely? That's for you to decide but please understand that a roll cage in a car that sees the street CAN be quite dangerous.
alrite thnx.
so what u suggest? i want to have something in between. ? rollbar?