need some quick alignment help

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Dev
ITRCA Member

need some quick alignment help

Post by Dev »

Hey all,
I took my R and new tires over to Direct Tire and Auto this morning to get a mount/balance and alignment. They quoted me like 105 + mount over the phone, after I told them it was slightly lowered. When I got to the shop they were like.

shop "Uhhhhh, yeahhhh...its going to be like 105++ because the car is slightly lowered."

me "what do you mean ++ ???"

shop "Uhhhh...means it may be more........." (crickets)

me "why would it be more...the car is .50 inches lower than stock?"

shop "Uhhhh...hmmmm we need to adjust your camber"

me "You cant adjust camber :evil: all I want is mount/ balance and align....align by adjusting the toe.

shop "hold on, let me talk to the tech..........."

Anyway, you get the picture. I have HR springs, so there is no dramatic drop. They should be able to align the wheel with no problem right???

Am I missing something here...all they should be able to adjust is the toe...right??

Please...need some quick help before Biff calls me back and tells me I need 20 inch rims too

Dev
98cwitr
ITRCA Member

Post by 98cwitr »

when you get an alignment it should include any needed camber adj., whether the car is lowered or not. jm2c
'98 Integra Type R #363
Dev
ITRCA Member

Post by Dev »

98cwitr wrote:when you get an alignment it should include any needed camber adj., whether the car is lowered or not. jm2c
I didn't think that camber was adjustable without a camber kit. Isn't camber static and toe adjustable while aligning?
98cwitr
ITRCA Member

Post by 98cwitr »

its only adjustable about 1.5 degrees from the factory. when you get an alignment, they align the camber to factory specs (if possible), adjust the caster to factory specs (if possible) and adjust the toe to factory specs (if possible) thats what an alignment is :wink:

EDIT: i think the front is 1.5 deg. but the rear is less than that.
'98 Integra Type R #363
bbqman
Canadian Director

Alignment

Post by bbqman »

All that can be adjusted in a typical tire shop as far as alignment is concerned on your ITR, is the toe. Hondas have no camber adjustment available except if you install camber kits.

As far as the extra charge, most alignment shops have a set time for doing an alignment and if your car is lowered and they need to use wood blocks to raise it, this requires more time thus more $$$.
An ITR with sport springs is standard height and should be aligned with no difficulty.
If you were to compare the job vs. a Passat 2000, where there are 4 upper ball joints and lotsa of alignment adjustment, the price would be almost 20$ more.
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

Just like BBQMan said, Toe Only. No Camber or Caster adjustment available on your car.

I'd go elsewhere. I have my car much lower than yours and I woudl not pay more than $60. And that gets me camber adjustment time too since I have kits on the car to allow for this adjustment.
98cwitr
ITRCA Member

Post by 98cwitr »

well slap me around and call me susan...my '00 celica gts had factory camber adj. :?
'98 Integra Type R #363
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

Your 2000 Celica has Macpherson struts. Your Type-R has independent wishbone suspension.
98cwitr
ITRCA Member

Post by 98cwitr »

Trey wrote:Your 2000 Celica has Macpherson struts. Your Type-R has independent wishbone suspension.
yeah i know...i just didnt think that would mean the difference between being able to adj. camber and not. :oops: thanks i learning me :o :lol:
'98 Integra Type R #363
Dev
ITRCA Member

Post by Dev »

Trey wrote:Just like BBQMan said, Toe Only. No Camber or Caster adjustment available on your car.

didn't think so....

I'd go elsewhere.
You aren't kidding....I decided to go with these idiots, not only did they not fully align my wheels...the TORE UP all four of my rims, then tried to tell me that they were that way to begin with. I spent a good three hours in the back shop explaining to them why they were responsible....now their insurance company needs to look at the car and decide what they are going to do about fixing the damage.

Those of you in the Central Massachusetts area......BEWARE of Direct Tire and Auto in Natick