Please help!!!!!......just installed AEM CAI.....whistling

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
ITR#158
New ITRCA Member

Please help!!!!!......just installed AEM CAI.....whistling

Post by ITR#158 »

i just installed an AEM CAI in my 00 ITR. When i have the gas pedal half the way down i hear a whistling noise....it has to be from the intake...im almost positive. I have already checked everything several times and everything seems to be installed correctly. Does this happen to anyone else..do you think i have something wrong with the intake i recieved from AEM....any ideas or solutions would be greatly appreciated. This damn whistling is annoying the hell out of me!!!!
an ITR....who could ask for more?
quikRthanU
New ITRCA Member

Post by quikRthanU »

my intake whistles...but its not an aem
88 5.0 stanger
ill eat you all alive, and sound better
Kramar
New ITRCA Member

Post by Kramar »

i thought aem cai's have a "whistling" sound to them.....
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

It's normal. They all do it. AEM, Comptech (not as much), 98's/00's . . . .
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

Its normal, mine does it.

most AEM CAI do it, don't worry.
swed
paul98itr
ITRCA Member

Post by paul98itr »

My friend is a certified acura mechanic, actually one of the few certified on the nsx. He got to talk to an engineer about that, and they said it is common. some do it, then some dont. It is air leaking through the throttle body gasket. No big deal because it is just extra air trying to find a place to go. That is why you hear it more when allowing more air flow.
Sold 98 ITR #0195
Now own slow 4L 99 Jeep Grand Cheerokee Ltd.
Will have another ITR (if some one will buy my Jeep)
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

"It is air leaking through the throttle body gasket. "

Not on my car, I changed the gasket and sealed that sucker up very well. I am sure its the air spinning inside at a high rate of speed that does it, Kinda like a tornado (not that bs thing you add either).
swed
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

would make more sense it is air going through the throttle plate. And that even stock whisteles just that it is quieter due to less air and intake material.
AcAttack
New ITRCA Member

Post by AcAttack »

Mine whistled, i think it sounded badass. Get the pedal just right threw the gears, sounds like u got something else besides an Intake under the hood. :D
AcAttack
96' GS-R (RIP)
98' ITR #98-0358 (sold) Miss it soooo much
92' 240SX SE (FOR SALE!!)
I need another 98'!!!

IPS Racing

Northeast Auto Design
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

paul98itr wrote:My friend is a certified acura mechanic, actually one of the few certified on the nsx. He got to talk to an engineer about that, and they said it is common. some do it, then some dont. It is air leaking through the throttle body gasket. No big deal because it is just extra air trying to find a place to go. That is why you hear it more when allowing more air flow.
I think either your friend or the engineer he talked to was drunk, air doesn't leak out of the gasket, if anything it would get sucked in. even still, it's a paper gasket, that by the time you ever take it off, is so well bonded to either the manifold or TB, that I'd find it very difficult to beileve that it's leaking.

I've acutally taken my TB off without replacing that gasket, and it still doesn't leak.

Tell your buddy to go slap the engineer(JK)

Later!
Aj
bbqman
Canadian Director

Post by bbqman »

All Honda/Acuras have a whistling sound that is due to the position of the throttle plate at certain angles and the idle valve.
The reason you don't hear it with the stock air box, is because it (air box) was designed by honda to deaden all and any noise coming from the intake.
Have you notices the maze of ports and tubing that makes up an OE air box? Well the noise is loss there.
The more straight through design that your CAI or short ram is ....the more the whistle is heard.
Can't get rid of it, so live with it. As for the air leaks, yes, most likely someone had too much to drink!
paul98itr
ITRCA Member

Post by paul98itr »

It is possible the engineer didn't know so he made up some bs answer but I know my buddy wouldn't lie. Aj, I'll make sure and tell him to slap the shit out of this guy!
Sold 98 ITR #0195
Now own slow 4L 99 Jeep Grand Cheerokee Ltd.
Will have another ITR (if some one will buy my Jeep)
Chris N
Site Admin

Post by Chris N »

The whistling is normal and is due to the increased flow of air through the throttle plate and TB. The stock airbox does the same thing, although it is very faint. The AEM's whistle is very loud. I thought it was pretty neat, but have no whistle with my J's intake now. :(

I'm 105% sure that there is no air leaking through any gasket....
ALLMOTORB18c5
New ITRCA Member

Post by ALLMOTORB18c5 »

i used to have that same noise, but when i changed my throttle body to a 70mm spoon tb it was gone.
pUrExTc
ITRCA Member

Post by pUrExTc »

It's normal...i think i posted this in another topic before this one...like 3 days ago...
'98 Acura Integra Type-R
'03 Honda CBR600RR
Surgeon General's Warning: It's OK to Smoke V8's