Best sus. < $1000

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
98cwitr
ITRCA Member

Best sus. < $1000

Post by 98cwitr »

Im looking at some Tanabe Sustec Pro Spec 2 coilovers for $850 but i was wondering if there was a better street/strip coilover set up for under $1000
'98 Integra Type R #363
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

For under $1000 I am not sure I would spend the money on suspension. THe Type-R system is hard to improve upon based on auto-x and track times. YOu really need a suspension system with independent height to stroke adjustment. To get this you need the TEIN RE or higher. The JIC FLTA2 or better, the Zeal B6 or S6, the Buddy club Racing dampers and a few others. The cheapest of these suggestions is the JICs which can be had between $1400 and $1500. The Zeals are around $1600-$1800 these days and The TEINs used to be even more. Buddy CLubs are in the middle of these prices I think.

I would strongly suggest you save up a bit more and get the JICs. THe design is far better than the TEIN SS or Tanbe suspensions in the sub $1000 category.
98cwitr
ITRCA Member

Post by 98cwitr »

thanks for the advice...i guess i will be stock for longer than I anticipated :)
'98 Integra Type R #363
scott_k
New ITRCA Member

Post by scott_k »

I got some slightly used Zeal b6 for sale.

$1250. Let me know.
98-1183
98cwitr
ITRCA Member

Post by 98cwitr »

how many miles are on the zeals?
'98 Integra Type R #363
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

I don't think he has but a few miles on them. Scott just got them if I recall corectly.
EJ1-B18C5R
New ITRCA Member

Between the JIC FLTA2 or BC Racing Spec

Post by EJ1-B18C5R »

I see the list of some quality stuff, Tein, Zeal B6, JIC, or BC pretty much taking the top honors.
What are the opinions on JIC vs. BC?
Thank you for your support !
98cwitr
ITRCA Member

Re: Between the JIC FLTA2 or BC Racing Spec

Post by 98cwitr »

PS wrote:I see the list of some quality stuff, Tein, Zeal B6, JIC, or BC pretty much taking the top honors.
BC pwns JIC
'98 Integra Type R #363
Trey
Site Admin

Re: Between the JIC FLTA2 or BC Racing Spec

Post by Trey »

98cwitr wrote:
PS wrote:I see the list of some quality stuff, Tein, Zeal B6, JIC, or BC pretty much taking the top honors.
BC pwns JIC
I have to disagree. They are extremely comparable. I think it boils down to cost and preference. BC is pretty pricey compared to JIC form what I have seen.
EJ1-B18C5R
New ITRCA Member

Post by EJ1-B18C5R »

98cwitr- You said BC owns JIC.....
I have heard similar, do you have any sources to confirm.

Also, I have read about some nightmare stories regarding JIC customer service and repair. Anyone know more about this?

[/quote]
Last edited by EJ1-B18C5R on January 24th, 2004, 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
98cwitr
ITRCA Member

Post by 98cwitr »

PS wrote:98cwitr - You said BC owns JIC.....

I have heard similar, do you have any sources to confirm.

Also, I have read about some nightmare stories regarding JIC customer service and repair. Anyone know more about this?
[/quote] ive heard the same...but i think it was over at honda-tech...ill look for the link. Ive never had a good feeling about JIC products...BC on the other hand makes great stuff and has a good rep.
'98 Integra Type R #363
CanadianR
New ITRCA Member

Post by CanadianR »

Trey wrote:For under $1000 I am not sure I would spend the money on suspension. THe Type-R system is hard to improve upon based on auto-x and track times. YOu really need a suspension system with independent height to stroke adjustment. To get this you need the TEIN RE or higher. The JIC FLTA2 or better, the Zeal B6 or S6, the Buddy club Racing dampers and a few others. The cheapest of these suggestions is the JICs which can be had between $1400 and $1500. The Zeals are around $1600-$1800 these days and The TEINs used to be even more. Buddy CLubs are in the middle of these prices I think.

I would strongly suggest you save up a bit more and get the JICs. THe design is far better than the TEIN SS or Tanbe suspensions in the sub $1000 category.
The Tein Type Flex are height adjustable independant of stroke. But they are $1400 US retail, and probably around $1100-$1200 US actual price. I got them instead of JIC for two reasons: i got a way better deal on the Tein's and the JIC were more expensive comparing retail to retail and were a little outta my price range. By the way, i'm quite happy with them.
EJ1-B18C5R
New ITRCA Member

Post by EJ1-B18C5R »

On the customer service note. Anyone have any info/feedback/stories on Buddy Club or Zeal customer service and repair?

Unfortunately, in the past couple of days I have found enough stories on several forums about JIC customer service to scare me away from the FLTA2's I was going to get.
When you get in that price range, I expect more than just product.
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

PSEG wrote:On the customer service note. Anyone have any info/feedback/stories on Buddy Club or Zeal customer service and repair?

Unfortunately, in the past couple of days I have found enough stories on several forums about JIC customer service to scare me away from the FLTA2's I was going to get.
When you get in that price range, I expect more than just product.
Funny you posted this. This was the point I was about to make to 98CW . . . No one knows if Zeal or TEIN has good customer service and it is my understanding BC doesn't even have a US office. Zeal (Endless) people are nice if you call and ask them a question but they don't know much about their product and I don't know anyone personally that has had a problem to quote how they handle defective product. I do have Zeals currently BTW and they have been one of my less favortie suspensions from a performance stand point.

If you want a budget system the TEIN Type Flex is decent but the shock damping is only fair and the springs it comes with are too soft. JIC's are way better in my opinion.

As a side note when I comment on suspensions and their performance it is based on track and auto-x use. Hopefully no one is worried about street performance enough to worry about this much money in suspension. I have personally auto-x or tracked

TEIN NA
TEIN HA
TEIN RE
ZEAL B6
ZEAL B2

JIC FLTA2

Of these JIC FLTA2 and TEIN RE were dead even and the best performers in my opinion. Compare the prices and JIC wins that. As for customer service from JIC I have gotten an email from a few parties involved about the ONE post on Honda-Tech so I don't see one, one-sided story being the end of the possibility of customer service from JIC. Call them, talk to them and ask your retailer how they woudl handle the situation. Honestly the person with the problem bypassed his retailer and this is bad form on product issues as they have more pull with the manufacturer and they might have made it right even if JIC resisted. Just things to keep in mind
tekkyDC2R
New ITRCA Member

Post by tekkyDC2R »

what does anyone know about B+G S3 Full coilovers?
EJ1-B18C5R
New ITRCA Member

Post by EJ1-B18C5R »

Trey...
I agree as far as not letting the now infamous Honda-Tech Story sway a decision. It is just one experience. And we may not have heard all. And agreeing with you again....why wasn't the retailer involved in this.

However, what I have noticed...across some forums....more specifically ITRCA or S2K... I stick to these mainly because I find the environment is more mature than others, and thus the info is a bit more trustworthy and reliable.

...is the amount of bad experiences with JIC Customer Service. I don't mean big huge nightmare stories. Mainly the ones where a product arrives new and is faulty or missing parts and you are told to fork over some more money to fix it. I have read about that situation for all sorts of vehicles. And that is a policy that, to me at least, is a no-brainer with any business.

Anway......what a tangent? Sorry guys....

Back to Square 1:
-Here I am, money ready to go for suspension.
-Was going with JIC-FLTA2...now very hesitant.
-My vehicle will be about 65% Street/35% Track use.

For my use, should I just not even be looking at the JIC or BC price range? and stick to Tein(which, by the way doesn't have RE's for my EG)?

What to do??
:cry:
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

You can get TEIN REs for an EG while using ITR Rear LCAs
Type R 98
ITRCA Member

Post by Type R 98 »

ive heard alot of good on a type R from Apex dampers... anyone know how they fair on track?
All Motor Championship white Mugen exterior ITR 1998 #870
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

The old spec (99) are not as good as most other options and the 2000+ spec cost $2000 and are no better than the basic TEIN and Zeal models. I'd spend my money on a setup more like the TEIN flex if those are the level of shocks you are looking for.