tire pressure ...

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
mayhem
New ITRCA Member

tire pressure ...

Post by mayhem »

I run 205/50/15 toyo t1s on a stock 2000, daily street driven...
I was told by the first owner after trying several different combinations, 36lbs in front and 34lbs. in the rear was the best. But i was also told by a someone else,"that's to much , that would cause more wearing in the middle" . What do you guys think?
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

The second person is probably right. I would think 32-34 psi on the street would be more appropriate. Try some pressures and watch for different wear.
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

I don't have those tires, but On MXs I have 38 F 37 R (cold temps)

I also use that for the track (hot temps)
swed
shivers
Site Admin

Post by shivers »

I have Yok ES100s as street tires, and I run 35 psi all the way around.
2005 s2000
nsxtasy
ITRCA Member

Re: tire pressure ...

Post by nsxtasy »

No one has mentioned Honda's recommendation, which is 35 psi front, 33 psi rear. That's what I use, and I find that it works just fine. I use the RE010 stock tire.

Those who mention 36F/34R or 34F/32R here - keep in mind that yours is only 1 psi different from Honda's recommendation, so it's pretty darn close...
Last edited by nsxtasy on February 29th, 2004, 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mayhem
New ITRCA Member

Post by mayhem »

Honda recomends 35/33 on 195/55/15 , instead of 205/50/15 which im running. But thanks for the replies.
bbqman
Canadian Director

What pressure!!!

Post by bbqman »

Take into consideration that the manufacturer's recommendations usually tend to have the car understeer so that regualr drivers don't get into trouble.

A couple hints to help you set up your tire pressure.

Higher all around= better overall gasmileage ( good for roadtrips like Expo), harsher ride, longer warmup period and possible premature wear in the center.

Lower all around= more drag, better launch grip, smoother ride, worse gas mileage, unstable car at excessive speeds and uneven tire wear.

Higher Front/Lower rear= general understeer
Lower front/ higher rear= general oversteer ( car gets loose)

Keep in mind these settings with all things equal.

In my case, I use 30 all around on RA-1's and I put 35 in when I do a road trip.
For autocross, I generally run the rears quite a bit lower to increase grip as I like to use off throttle oversteer techniques.

In reality, there are no right or wrongs, just guidelines to help you choose a setup that fits your style.

BBQman
BudMan
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by BudMan »

Carl -

That was a great overview! Nice job.

Now which setting was it that lets me run faster than you??? :shock: hehehe See you at the Expo!
bbqman
Canadian Director

Post by bbqman »

That would be the setting in the bar before the next days activities. :roll:
BudMan
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by BudMan »

bbqman wrote:That would be the setting in the bar before the next days activities. :roll:
ROTFLMAO :lol: That was a goooood answer...Yuengling is surely going to be found near by! 8)