Hondata Launch Control and Full Throttle Shifts

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
IWannaTypeR
New ITRCA Member

Hondata Launch Control and Full Throttle Shifts

Post by IWannaTypeR »

ok i just wanna know if anyone has these accesories and how they worked out for them. also if u could clear up how the launch control works.

also i wanna know some more about the full throttle shifts. with this option can you shift with the throttle at 50%? when it is at full throttle will it cause unneeded wear and stress on the clutch? i basically wanna know how this would work out as part of my daily driver
shivers
Site Admin

Post by shivers »

These are my interpretations, so I don't know if they are 100% correct. I've seen both Hondata options in a car I recently rode in. I didn't drive the car, so I can't comment on how they worked exactly.

Launch control - you set the desired rpm that you want to launch your car at the drag strip (say 5000 rpms). You put the pedal to the floor, but the revs only go to 5000. This is also known in the drag race world as a "stutter box."

Full throttle shift - you still use the clutch to shift, but you set a desired rpm and the revs will not drop below that rpm on upshifts.

Neither of these options should cause any undue harm if used within reason. If you launch the car daily and drive at WOT, your car will see stress and wear even without these two Hondata options.

http://www.hondata.com has a lot of info and explanation on how their ECUs work.
2005 s2000
IWannaTypeR
New ITRCA Member

Post by IWannaTypeR »

how much a difference did it make? we the shifts that much faster? did he launch it for you? is this even worth theextra 125?
e r i c s 9 9 s i
ITRCA Member

Post by e r i c s 9 9 s i »

I have and use the hondata launch limiter and full throttle shifts ONLY at the track... Works really well actually... the only comment I would say though about the launching control is that you don't wanna completely floor the gas pedal sitting in launch mode (if you N/A) cause it'll make you bog outta the hole cause... (the revs bounce to far apart) You'll wanna floor the pedal persay, but only hold down the pedal about 1/2-3/4's down so you hear the RPM's bouncing at your desired point though at a fast pace so you won't bog outta the whole... However if you are boosted, then the more you push the gas pedal down sitting at the starting line, the more boost you'll create... meaning you can technically launch at say 10psi off the line if you wanted too... (I was boosted btw, before I baught the N/A type R motor.)

Here's a video clip of what the hondata launch controller sounds like... I have it set at 7800rpms....so no, I'm not bouncing off the rev limiter..

http://sirrommotorsports.com/videos/Por ... 20Race.MPG
(Right Click and Save Target As)

SirromMotorsports.com Online Performance

1999 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Built '99 JDM ITR Swap - 221whp / 149tq
98cwitr
ITRCA Member

Post by 98cwitr »

i was going with the s100 system, but damn you guys got me thinking about the s200 now. Is the launch control and FTS worth the extra $125? (BTW I wont be tuning it myself)
'98 Integra Type R #363
e r i c s 9 9 s i
ITRCA Member

Post by e r i c s 9 9 s i »

98cwitr wrote:i was going with the s100 system, but damn you guys got me thinking about the s200 now. Is the launch control and FTS worth the extra $125? (BTW I wont be tuning it myself)
If you're going to be going to the drag strip often and your serious about cutting down times then I'd say its a great investment... Not saying that you absolutely need the launch limiter to get those better track times, just saying its one less thing you have to worry about sitting at the starting light you know... I've had a few friends drive my car at the track and they didn't like it at first (cause they weren't use to this feature) but after a few runs down the track they eventually commented the same way... "its one less thing you don't have to think about. The RPM's just hold at X rpm and you can concentrate on the staging light rather than look at the staging light, plus look at your tach and keep a steady foot at X rpm."

Also, since I started racing with the added use of the launch limiter, my times are 2000% more consist that the previous years... Really helps elliminate those in-consistant runs if your doing bracket racing, etc...

SirromMotorsports.com Online Performance

1999 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Built '99 JDM ITR Swap - 221whp / 149tq