is this comtech icebox that much better than stock?

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
PY 01-0972
ITRCA Member

is this comtech icebox that much better than stock?

Post by PY 01-0972 »

searched and didnt find this exact question. I saw that trey really liked it compared to others but is it that much better than the stock R one? Is
it worth the extra money on a totally stock R to get the comtech box?
honestly the stock intake seems to flow well. its like a SRI. thanks for any
opinions on this.
01 py #972
03 si vivid blue
00 si milano red-stolen
97 accord green lx
95 accord green ex
since 1995
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

thats a hard one to answer, I want to say yes its worth the money but then if you were to save more and go for the Mugen Intake you would have the best.

I bought the AEMCAI when I had no clue about the car 3 years ago cause my self made CAI went horrible wrong. :roll:

I think it works fine for the money but has a problem, (that I have not seen in person) they can suck up water. But the Comptech Intake system is nearly impossible to get to the point where water will go into your motor.

If your looking for a quiet Air intake system then the stock is the best you will get, if you just want to help the air flow a bit better, drop in a K&N filter and your set.

As for the Comptech, I'm sure everyone here will says its worth the money and maybe put up a dyno chart to show the avg gain.

Comptech= good stuff.
swed
Champ R
ITRCA Member

Post by Champ R »

Its definitely good for a few hp and better throttle response over the stock unit. For a resonable price, i wouldnt use any other intake except for the Mugen, which offers the best performance of any intakes on the market, albeit it also commands a much higher price.
CW 98 #805
GOB
New ITRCA Member

Post by GOB »

Not sure if it applies for stock engines, but on the ITR race cars we have (ex Realtime) we use the stock NSX box with stock air filter.
typer rick
New ITRCA Member

Post by typer rick »

I had the comptech icebox and I think it's okay. I took it out and put the stock box back in and I didn't see a big diffrence. What I also did was keep the comptech intake and leave the stock box in and it felt a little different. If I was you leave the stock one alone.
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

You mention SRI. Are you implying not using the box from the stock setup?

Ok of the comptech iceboxes I have installed on R's you will see about a 3-4 HP gain over a stock air box. This is using the stock snorkel tube. The extra HP from the short ram part is only 1-1.5 HP.

You probably won't feel this but it is there. The filter is easier th clean tan tradition CAIs as well. This setup is almost stock quiet vs the AEM and others. This is why I went to an Icebox and when I found no loss of power and no ricey noises (same power no attetion getting screaming) I was sold.

AEM/Iceman/Injen CAIs make the same 3-4 HP so they are all comparable and many report more midrange with an Icebox.

Hope that explains why I speak so positively for the Icebox

For me it boiled down to same power as other intakes and less noise.
PY 01-0972
ITRCA Member

Post by PY 01-0972 »

thanks for the replies!!!
01 py #972
03 si vivid blue
00 si milano red-stolen
97 accord green lx
95 accord green ex
since 1995
00TypeR
New ITRCA Member

Post by 00TypeR »

anyone know if there is any, if any, difference between the regular icebox for R's and the one made for the s/c R's?? different size etc...
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

Do you have a link to a Icebox made specifically for S/C'd R's? I don't thin they make a different model. No other companies so either.
00TypeR
New ITRCA Member

Post by 00TypeR »

Nevermind. I just looked at comptech's website. they have the icebox listed like this: "Ice Box, Integra VTEC with JR Supercharger", "Ice Box, 94-01 Type R & LS/RS/GS", and "Ice Box, 94-01 GSR." But they all have the same part number. so my bad, just didn't catch that part.