Is mugen worth it?

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
PY 01-0972
ITRCA Member

Is mugen worth it?

Post by PY 01-0972 »

I no there are parts that are less expensive.. but is the mugen brand as a whole a worth while investment? It seems to me that all the stuff is race inspired as are many aftermaket parts but they tested and tuned most of the stuff for the R it self. I am speaking of all the mugen stuff engine,suspention and intake. should i expect all the parts to work great with each other and make a good improvement throught out the rpm range? I am looking into getting the header full exhaust and the intake.
my second purchase is gonna be the metal head gasket ecu and up graded valve springs. anybody with mugen experience I would like to hear your opinions on any of these parts that you may have used. thanks
01 py #972
03 si vivid blue
00 si milano red-stolen
97 accord green lx
95 accord green ex
since 1995
PY 01-0972
ITRCA Member

Post by PY 01-0972 »

my question is a little fuzzy above. is buying mugen gonna get me better performance than other brands intake,header and exhaust wise or am I paying for a rolex when a timex will do just as good a job? thanks again.
01 py #972
03 si vivid blue
00 si milano red-stolen
97 accord green lx
95 accord green ex
since 1995
.RJ
New ITRCA Member

Post by .RJ »

You get what you pay for, but as with most things the more you want out of it the more you are going to have to spend and the smaller the return on your money is.

So the question "is it worth it" is really something for you to decide :)
PY 01-0972
ITRCA Member

Post by PY 01-0972 »

thanks .rj I hear what you are saying
01 py #972
03 si vivid blue
00 si milano red-stolen
97 accord green lx
95 accord green ex
since 1995
Champ R
ITRCA Member

Post by Champ R »

Mugen parts are some of the best quality out there, and their fit and finish is top notch. Their header/exhaust fits like stock and the exhaust is probably the one of the best sounding IMO. You can find better performing parts out there, but as RJ said, its for you to decide. As far as your choices, scrap buying the valvesprings, as they are basically just stock type R springs with the mugen name on them. If you went with the full setup (Mugen intake/4-1 header/twinloop/ECU) you will definitely have substantial gains. The ECU basically a race unit tho, and runs very rich, with a 4700rpm vtec point, also it has to be rewired i believe to run A/C. If you go to honda-tech, search for the Mugen items to get more info and people's input on them.
CW 98 #805
ITR640
ITRCA Member

Post by ITR640 »

Is the mugen exhaust for the ITR have a titanium muffler? THe S2k does but I wasnt sure about the R. Plus does anyone have the mugen exhaust? I am considering purchasing this item for my R for autoxing. I would like some more input. thanks.
Champ R
ITRCA Member

Post by Champ R »

I have the Mugen twinloop exhaust. No titanium muffer btw. Overall its a great exhaust, sounds fantastic and perfect fit. Its quiet around town but sounds very unique in the upper rpms, especially when its warmed up. The only downsides are the piping is only about 2" from where the cat meets the exhaust flange, but then increases after the first resonator it to 2.36". Other unrestricted exhausts will probably outperform the Mugen, and the price is a bit steep, but you get what you pay for.
CW 98 #805
Type R 98
ITRCA Member

Post by Type R 98 »

the mugen header is very outdated for the price, look into toda, hytech or smsp. Many will agree. Your money, your call!

i myself wanted a mugen spec type R but have chosen to take some other parts that will outperform on some levels. Although expensive, the mugen intake does take the cake on others though.
All Motor Championship white Mugen exterior ITR 1998 #870