R as a daily driver??

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
R-Adrenaline
New ITRCA Member

R as a daily driver??

Post by R-Adrenaline »

How many of you use your R as a daily driver and how do you like it. Meaning, do you wish you had a beater/do you get alot of lookers/do you worry when you park your car places??
#0578 coming soon
RealTypeR
New ITRCA Member

Re: R as a daily driver??

Post by RealTypeR »

I can't afford another car. It's a daily driver. I worry yes, but try not to. If it gets stolen, sure I'll be sad cause there's a lot of money in it, but I'll just buy another one.
'01 PY #0801 - FOR SALE - BUY ME
40calpal
New ITRCA Member

Post by 40calpal »

Yeah i feel better with the Lojack and have trush in it. Try to park under a bright light or near a security camera
Sure a plane is fast but you can't chirp second in a plane!
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

Some what of a daily driver, I use it to go to work, and to friends houses. But if I need to go somewhere that I'm unsure about like malls or if I have to leave it then I'll use my dad's cars. I'd say I use my car 60% of the time.
swed
ITR640
ITRCA Member

Post by ITR640 »

I used to use mine as a daily driver. Then I bought my pride and joy 1988 Honda CRX (sarcasm). But I thought it made a great daily driver, but I worried alot and thought it would be better just to buy another car then to worry about it being stolen. I had alot of people looking at it and sometimes I would come out of somewhere and some would be looking at it. It was sorta funny if you think about it.
Justin Klemgold
ITRCA Member

Post by Justin Klemgold »

I paid 1000 bucks for my 91 Accord beater with 246,500 on it as of right now. It runs like a brand new car. I haven't had to drop a dime into it all winter. I bought it last october. My car has been in storage since early novemeber, but when it comes back out, I will drive the accord to malls and movies and school and shit. The R will be safely at home.
BLAAK
ITRCA Member

Post by BLAAK »

Daily driver here too. I even drove it in the winter season. Car is pretty much like any other car at under 3000 rpm. Climbing slowly the rpm, then the great beast is awaken.

Some of you would probably think I'm nuts to drive it winter but, hey, I'm Canadian. People have ski-doos, I have a Type R!

I have noticed a change in parking habits since purchasing the ITR. I just don't park it any where like most ITR owners do. I do get the bozos chasing me down on the highway. "Just let them go", I think to myself. The car does get a lot of looks 'cause you don't really see a whole lot of them in my town.

Anyways, it still one of the best decision I've ever made.

Blaak
PY 01-0972
ITRCA Member

Post by PY 01-0972 »

It will be my daily driver when my 03 si lease is up. When I drive it to work
once or twice a week I check on it every 2 to 3 hours. I had a car stolen so
I am of course real paranoid. but to answer your question Hey! its a honda
and will give you years of trouble free service! I think its a shame to leave it in the garage it loves to be driven. I want to drive it every day but end up in the Si most of the time and i know it will be there when I get off work. as far as a daily driver it is a great car!
01 py #972
03 si vivid blue
00 si milano red-stolen
97 accord green lx
95 accord green ex
since 1995
Justin Klemgold
ITRCA Member

Re: .

BLAAK wrote:I just don't park it any where like most ITR owners do.

Blaak
Huh? Most ITR owners are just as paranoid as you. It comes with the territory of buying an ITR.
Hoya
New ITRCA Member

Post by Hoya »

My family has a 98 Civic that's sort of like a family beater. I use it to drive to school, or when it's raining/snowing hard (just overall bad weather). But if I go to the mall or something, I bring the R out.
TheSnake
New ITRCA Member

Post by TheSnake »

mines a daily driver, i drive it to my high school every day, i go to the mall...no problems really, there are a few in town...more than you would think iowa would have.
Old:2002 Acura RSX type S
1/4=14.408
New:2001 Acura Integra Type R
http://www.badog.com <---sweet car vids
nsxtasy
ITRCA Member

Re: R as a daily driver??

Post by nsxtasy »

Yes.
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

Ok I don't own an ITR, but I would park it wherever. If it got stolen, yeah that'd suck, but no car is worth changing my life to protect. It's just a friggen car. :shrug:
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
mythias
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by mythias »

I dont change my life to protect it, but I use my head when I park it.. at night I make sure I park it in a well lit area, and if I can see a camera I park it within site of it. Its not changing my life, its just using caution.
Champ R
ITRCA Member

Post by Champ R »

Mine has been my daily for about 2 years, i dont have a garage to store it in either, so it sees all the elements unfortunately. Its not the most comfy daily driver out there, but i have fun everytime i get behind the wheel. It's a drivers car, plain and simple.
CW 98 #805
joe s
ITRCA Member

Post by joe s »

It's my daily driver, and why not? - great mileage, Honda reliability, and great fun. I drive it approx 50 minutes each way to work(some great roads included) and for everything else. If the weather's especially terrible ie snow storm, I'll try to use one of the other cars in the household.
The car gets its share of looks (as it should!) and the occasional kid who thinks I want to street race because I drive an R, but otherwise no problems. I'm somewhat careful with parking (no body-side moldings for protection) but not paranoid about it.
It's a $25K car, not a Ferrari - use it!
typeRated
New ITRCA Member

Post by typeRated »

Yup,
I just moved from my parents house to my own (apt),So i'm a little worried since it is not in a garage but pretty close (covered and gated parking) and use my car to work daily.. And love every mintue im in the R..
George Knighton
ITRCA Member

Post by George Knighton »

For the first couple of years of its life, my ITR was the commuter car because my ol'e 6.3 Merc got about 8 miles per gallon. :)

I never experienced any troubles with theft or vandalism, but I'm not sure it'd be the same today. (Hell, "Floyd" just had his car vandalised right outside his apartment complex in a safe neighbourhood just to get the Sparco EVO seats out of it!)

For whatever it's worth, a stock ITR is a very nice daily driver commuter, provided you don't have to use cruise control.
bbqman
Canadian Director

Post by bbqman »

Dave-ROR wrote:Ok I don't own an ITR, but I would park it wherever. If it got stolen, yeah that'd suck, but no car is worth changing my life to protect. It's just a friggen car. :shrug:
Ahhhh that's just it, Dave...if you don't own one , you can't know what the typical R owner feels.
You are right though, it is just a car...but this car can't easily be replaced. And there is no other Honda product that can be daily driven...winter/summer and be this fast on the track...stock!!!

This is what the R is all about. 8)
Justin Klemgold
ITRCA Member

I don't think it's about the car getting stolen, it's about the whole feeling of having something that YOU own and that YOU Paid for ripped out from underneath you. And the cops won't do a damn thing about it. THAT'S what it's about...it's not about a material thing...it's about ethics and morals.
R1366
ITRCA Member

Post by R1366 »

Justin Klemgold wrote:I don't think it's about the car getting stolen, it's about the whole feeling of having something that YOU own and that YOU Paid for ripped out from underneath you. And the cops won't do a damn thing about it. THAT'S what it's about...it's not about a material thing...it's about ethics and morals.

yup, I guess that's why I find myself looking out the window every 5-10 minutes of the day to make sure she's still there :|

BTW my R is daily driven :wink:
Type R 98
ITRCA Member

Post by Type R 98 »

My R is daily driven but i use my beater whenever i feel i'm going somewhere unsafe without attending her for too long.. if i do go to the mall, i park it right outside the store windows so that theres always people comming out to sort of scare thieves away from trying to rob it in front of them..
All Motor Championship white Mugen exterior ITR 1998 #870
R-Adrenaline
New ITRCA Member

Post by R-Adrenaline »

Thanks to all for the input. I have a daily driver and wanted to sell it to pay off a bill but just wasn't sure about having the R as a daily driver. I had a 01 R as a daily driver in KC for about 10months with no problems but now I live in TX, just purchased a 98 R and don't know about crime around here. To me it is just a fun car to drive and an awesome car on the track for its class. I didn't buy it to keep it in the garage. My main reason for debate is gas mileage and theft. Gas mileage is not bad but not as good as a beater getting 35 to 40 on regular unleaded if you know what I mean.
#0578 coming soon