MODIFIED MY STOCK INTAKE, PLEASE GIVE ADVICE

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Azcheron
New ITRCA Member

MODIFIED MY STOCK INTAKE, PLEASE GIVE ADVICE

Post by Azcheron »

Today i was experimenting and i tore off the stock air box and filter and i slapped a K&N air filter on the end of my factory hosing comming from the manifold and i pretty much made it a short ram intake. The tubing that acts as the cold air portion is still in place, just not being used.

conclusion: this ITR is F***ING LOUD!!!!! has a nasty throaty growl when i hit the gas and when vtec kicks in, oh lord.....

My only question is this.... Is this going to affect the performance of my R too much? Ive heard that doing this would only loose very very very minor power, like 1-2 horse at max....but im not sure if i really lose or gain anything. My intentions were to avoid spending 200-300 bucks on a damn AEM, but to get that nasty sound from my car without the gayness of a stupid ricer exhaust. Please let me know if this is something i shouldnt do or would not make a diff to keep. I cant feel a diff so far, i just know it sounds mean!

keep in mind... air box removed, added K&N to existing tube comming off intake manifold (short ram style now), the cold air tube that goes down to the front bumper is still in tact, just not directly connected to the filter. PLS let me know ASAP!
B2FiNiTY
ITRCA Member

Post by B2FiNiTY »

Your probably loosing a little bit of power but gaining some throttle response.

AEM is only around 200-210 shipped. Or even less nowadays. The comptech is also around that price but a little less.
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

For three years I have had the AEM CAI with no problems...

Its loud and will scare the old people when on the gas :shock:

I can't say if my caR has gained any power from it. But anyway I like it.

I'm sure you could find one used near 100 maybe plus shipping on the classifieds.
swed
Justin Klemgold
ITRCA Member

Post by Justin Klemgold »

The only intake I would get for the R is the Comptech Icebox....reasonably priced and very quiet. I just installed mine yesterday.
Type R 98
ITRCA Member

Post by Type R 98 »

what you DON'T know is that everyone who heres your car knows it only has a racing gay cone filter on the intake tube end:) rather have a ricer exhaust i think! been there done that, took it off, bought an AEM...
your call
All Motor Championship white Mugen exterior ITR 1998 #870
ITR640
ITRCA Member

Post by ITR640 »

I took off the top of my air box. It gave it a throatier sound and i drove around a couple of days but i heard that it can hurt my car so i put it back on. it does sound cool though and all you need to buy is a screw driver if you dont already have one...
Bryce
New ITRCA Member

Post by Bryce »

IMO I would order an AEM CAI(have one and love it), an icebox(heard it is great), or put it back to the stock setup. Thats just me, good luck with whatever you do.
#1185 from 2000
ITR640
ITRCA Member

Post by ITR640 »

DOES THIS CAUSE DAMAGE? I wan tto know if its ok to do anymore bc the car sounds really cool with it off, but if its hurting it i want to put it back on. I just took off the lid the box.
Champ R
ITRCA Member

Post by Champ R »

I can recall hearing that if you take out the stock resonator or lid off the top of the intake box, you will lose hp. Best bet would be to use the stock intake and create your own cold air tube out of something like dryer hose, or just buy a comptech icebox if you dont want the NASCAR sound of the AEM.
CW 98 #805
40calpal
New ITRCA Member

Post by 40calpal »

so comptech iceboxes are rather quiet, close to stock?! I've always been exposed to the AEM
Sure a plane is fast but you can't chirp second in a plane!
Azcheron
New ITRCA Member

Post by Azcheron »

ok FULL stock intake has been restored back to normal, ill wait till i can afford a nice AEM V2 COLD AIR.....but the nascar sound MUST COME BACK!!! ohhh it sounds nutty, must have...
Justin Klemgold
ITRCA Member

Azcheron wrote:ok FULL stock intake has been restored back to normal, ill wait till i can afford a nice AEM V2 COLD AIR.....but the nascar sound MUST COME BACK!!! ohhh it sounds nutty, must have...
OK....

a.) AEM V2 is so horribly overpriced just like the regular AEM intake
b.) Comptech Icebox will outperform the AEM intake.
c.) if you want an AEM intake, get a ripoff off of ebay. It's all about diameter and not about what name is plastered on the piping.
Azcheron
New ITRCA Member

Post by Azcheron »

comptech icebox is too quiet...zzzz

i really only want the intake for the sound... 1-2 HP doesnt mean a whole lot and as long as its a cold air and sounds nice, thats all i care about. Im gonna buy a used AEM CAI only 2 months old for like 100 bucks
mythias
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by mythias »

agreed. the v2 also has minimal gains over the regular AEM CAI.
Justin Klemgold
ITRCA Member

The filter on a stick is just an attention getter...hardly something I want on an ITR, it gets enough bad publicity as is...
TypeRTuner2000
New ITRCA Member

Intakes

Post by TypeRTuner2000 »

Justin Klemgold wrote:The filter on a stick is just an attention getter...hardly something I want on an ITR, it gets enough bad publicity as is...
Hey, I haven't been to the site in a while but I was reading this topic and got a little confused. Since when is an air intake just for looks? I have a classic AEM CAI, not a short ram, so if its for looks its in the wrong place, right next to my tire! When I bought my Type R it had everything already on it, so i dont know a big difference from stock, but from my experiance it isnt the AEM that makes all the noise. If I am at idle and tap the throttle I can hear it sucking cubes and cubes of air, but after about 2 seconds all I hear is the exhaust. However my car is heavily modified so I dont know what a factory exhaust sounds like, the Mugen twin-loop I have sounds like sex when I get on it. In theory shouldnt an intake add HP, just because its out of the engine compartment, larger diameter, and a high flow element. I could see how it might take away a few HP, maybe some FT/ LBS. Well im through talking way too much, if anyone has anything constructive just reply
I have a 2000 ITR, 11.0 Endyn rolloerwave pistons, Mugen Sport exhaust, Mugen headers, Mugen thermostat, Mugen Valve spring, Mugen titanium retainers, lower rear tie bar, cam gears, new injectors, fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump, Clutch and a carbon fiber hood, etc.
Justin Klemgold
ITRCA Member

The AEM style intake has been shown on dynos to get the same results as the stock ITR intake minus the resonator...why? Because the ITR comes STOCK with a Cold air intake....designed very well by engineers so it's hard to improve upon...especially since AEM's design is old and tiresome.

Comptech has proven to gain a few horses on the ITR, once again via some dynos. Everything else is just an attention getter (because it's so loud, not because of how it looks)

So basically it's all bark and no bite for AEM.
Champ R
ITRCA Member

Post by Champ R »

AEM doesnt make a V2 intake for the R. If you want crazy sound go with the J's racing short ram. I had the original AEM and hated the crappy throttle response, the J's will give you good sound with MUCH better throttle input. All these intakes really give only 1-3hp at best over stock anyway, with the Mugen being the absolute best as far as gains, response etc... but you get what you pay for.
CW 98 #805
ITR4lifeYO
New ITRCA Member

Post by ITR4lifeYO »

dude ur method sucks monkey ass.. try some real intake. i got a aem cai fenderwell kit
2001 type r. stock... exept twin ball berring turbochargers. custom true dule exhaust. 50 shot NOS. spoons wheels and lugnuts. <mad tyte yo
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

ITR4lifeYO wrote:dude ur method sucks monkey ass.. try some real intake. i got a aem cai fenderwell kit
How about you read the PM I sent you. also try reading the dates on threads before posting, You might not look like a monkey's ass responding to a 2 year old thread.
swed
Ford Prefect
ITRCA Member

Post by Ford Prefect »

Bbasso wrote:How about you read the PM I sent you. also try reading the dates on threads before posting, You might not look like a monkey's ass responding to a 2 year old thread.
I think that's exactly his intent Rob, somebody needs to ban him and delete all his posts.
'97 ITR #90 - Stock - 1st owner
'03 CL Type-S - 6spd
ITR Militia Member #2
270+lb ITR CLUB We fall in, and crawl out
keepin it N/A
New ITRCA Member

Post by keepin it N/A »

if you still want advice heres mine i got a totaly stock 00 itr and just put the k&n filter in the fact. int. with the full box and it gives a sligtly deeper sound and better throttle response. witch is really all your gonna get outof any intake no matter how much you decide to spend on it. as far as power gains prolly 1-2 at the most. so if you want to spend 3-400 on an aem or other cold air intake be my guest but a K&N stock replacement is all your gona need.
TYPEoui
New ITRCA Member

Post by TYPEoui »

how does the spoon drop in filter and mugen drop in filter compare to the k&n b/c i was thinking about getting one or the other
Reid
ITRCA Member

Post by Reid »

Ford Prefect wrote:somebody needs to ban him and delete all his posts.
Mods here are a little slower, give them time. j/k :P
Jacques79
New ITRCA Member

Post by Jacques79 »

I only took off the factoy air box to expose the stock cone filter. I makes a SICK sound and I love it! 8)

I don't care if it takes away 1hp, I just want to know this: Can it hurt my engine or something in the engine bay? Is it safe?

Thanks, much appreciated!