Buying a New Car next year...advice?

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
pUrExTc
ITRCA Member

Buying a New Car next year...advice?

Post by pUrExTc »

I'm buying a new car next year, for under $50,000. I have two cars in mind. Nissan Skyline R33 GT-R (used). BMW M3 (new).

Which would you get or can you advise a better car for under $50,000? This new car will be my daily driven, and my ITR retires to being a strictly track car.
'98 Acura Integra Type-R
'03 Honda CBR600RR
Surgeon General's Warning: It's OK to Smoke V8's
B2FiNiTY
ITRCA Member

Post by B2FiNiTY »

M3. Skyline may be "rare" and "cool" but if anything breaks...it would cost more and the wait for parts would be long.

Plus M3 is easier to resale.
paul98itr
ITRCA Member

Post by paul98itr »

Skyline may be "rare" and "cool" but if anything breaks...it would cost more and the wait for parts would be long.
I agree, however M3's are known to blow engine's. The problem is probly fixed by know and it is covered by waranty. Where do you live? If in cali, getting the skyline fixed is pretty easy. I would vote R33. I am biased though, that is my second love after the type r! O ya and my wife :lol:
Sold 98 ITR #0195
Now own slow 4L 99 Jeep Grand Cheerokee Ltd.
Will have another ITR (if some one will buy my Jeep)
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

Z06. just do it.
swed
B2FiNiTY
ITRCA Member

Post by B2FiNiTY »

I'd rather have the M3 because it can follow you through your social status. Depends on your job though...
pUrExTc
ITRCA Member

Post by pUrExTc »

Either way, I'm getting a new car ASAP now. Someone just tried to steal my car last night.
'98 Acura Integra Type-R
'03 Honda CBR600RR
kabob
ITRCA Member

Post by kabob »

Any reputable Nissan tuner should be able to work on a Skyline. We have one here, CTC Motorsports in Dallas. They've already done Stage 3 upgrades to a Skyline R32 in the area. You should be able to find one as well so my vote goes for the R33 :) Very stout engine and drivetrain.
pUrExTc
ITRCA Member

Post by pUrExTc »

well, i've always liked the skyline, and the gt-r is just as good as the vspec model (for daily driven (to me, opinions may vary)). and a fraction of the cost.
however, i've really enjoyed german engineering over the years, and i want to get out of "rice-mobiles." they both get the same fuel economy, and cerritos auto square has both a nissan and a bmw dealer. gosh, decisions, decisions.
i suppose my main concern with the skyline is, that it's a used car, and that i know it will get hated on, and be just as much a hot item, as my itr. the beamer, might not get hated on, but it's just another beamer...it might get to be a hot item though, as the M3 is fast.
'98 Acura Integra Type-R
'03 Honda CBR600RR
kabob
ITRCA Member

Post by kabob »

Why would a dealership have a Skyline GT-R? :| There's not much difference between the V-Spec and standard.. just the more aggressive ATESSA PRO all-wheel drive system and an electronically controlled rear limited-slip differential, neither of which should affect daily driving.
pUrExTc
ITRCA Member

Post by pUrExTc »

yeah, there's not much difference, except in the price. Exactly why I stated that I'd take the GT-R, and not worry about a VSPEC. I'm not going to shell out $60,000 + for a used Skyline.
'98 Acura Integra Type-R
'03 Honda CBR600RR
paul98itr
ITRCA Member

Post by paul98itr »

The Gtr V-spec and plan gtr aren't much different in price. The difference is the r33 to the r34 (or really cheap r32). Also their is the gts which is somewhat cheaper than the gtr, in their series. If that helps at all. I would go for the gtr r33. I suppose you could save a couple g's and go with out the atessa-pro :cry:
Sold 98 ITR #0195
pUrExTc
ITRCA Member

Post by pUrExTc »

I was getting an R33 GT-R anyway (I think I may have said so earlier, I forget). Anyway, the R33 (to me), has a more aggressive look than the R34. GT-S is out of the question. It's RWD, non-turbo. The point to me buying a Skyline over the M3 is that it's twin turbo, and AWD. If I want to stay all motor, I'll go M3 because 1. it's faster than the Skyline (stock trim), 2. if i bought it, it'd be brand new.
'98 Acura Integra Type-R
'03 Honda CBR600RR
paul98itr
ITRCA Member

Post by paul98itr »

The gts is actually singal turbo but yah it is definatly no comparrison to the gtr. it is a good choice and I prefer the r33 over all of them too!
Sold 98 ITR #0195
joe s
ITRCA Member

Post by joe s »

This is fun, but tough without more specifics. How about a nice used M5? - bigger, better ride than M3 (can you get a new M3 for under $50k?), and ferocious just the same. So many nice cars for under $50k....convertible? Vette, Z4, Boxster (used 'S'); auto trans vs manual? New RX8 looks nice; Z; S4; new Golf R32 if it comes here.....can get a NICE used NSX for $50k. Have fun looking; it's fun giving suggestions let alone actually doing the buying!
pUrExTc
ITRCA Member

Post by pUrExTc »

thanks Joe S., I considedered the NSX too (used of course!). I never thought about the domestic market though. I'm pretty set in my decision between the M3 and the R33. I thought about an M5, but I like the idea of a brand spankin' new M3. I still like that more than the R33 sometimes. that's why it's such a hard decision! R33 will get more attention though...and that's kind of something I don't want anymore (if you read my post about "Last Night").
'98 Acura Integra Type-R
'03 Honda CBR600RR
joe s
ITRCA Member

Post by joe s »

Just read your previous post; must be really frustrating, let alone infuriating. I'm lucky to have a full-time garage. Hopefully you won't have the same experience with your new car if it's going to be outside, since your short list is pretty desirable also. Good luck.
As an aside, my nephew just bought a new Jetta 1.8 turbo; seems like a nice car but he's had several niggling quality-control problems already ie interior squeaks/rattles, door-speaker loose & noisy, paint/clear-coat problem on one quarter panel, noisy starter.......maybe a lemon, but maybe VW still hasn't gotten it together yet. Too bad, since their quality of materials, esp the interior, seems really high. Also, I've never driven a VW/Audi product that shifts as well as a Honda product, or BMW, Porsche, Toyota, Mazda, GM or Ford for that matter.
pUrExTc
ITRCA Member

Post by pUrExTc »

my mom had a Jetta for a while ('94 I think). It was a "fun" car to drive. she didn't really have any complaints about it. I think if I do get the Skyline, my main problem will be shifting left handed... :roll:
'98 Acura Integra Type-R
'03 Honda CBR600RR
kekoa
New ITRCA Member

car

Post by kekoa »

S2000 fooooo. 8)

Otherwise, I'd go M3. Nice mix of luxury and performance.
2002 S2000 White/Red
2001 BMW 325CI (Sold)
2001 Integra Type R (Stolen)
2000 GS-R (Sold)
1994 Integra LS (Stolen)
pUrExTc
ITRCA Member

Post by pUrExTc »

S2000 crossed my mind too...but then I realized...2 seater... :?
'98 Acura Integra Type-R
'03 Honda CBR600RR
natedogg2669
New ITRCA Member

Post by natedogg2669 »

Well, what is it that you want? Something newer? Something fast? Something unique? Obviously, the Skyline is going to be unique and with that comes positives and negatives. Positives include the exclusivity of owning one and the fact that everyone will know you because of the car. This could be good in some ways and bad in others. Negatives include cost of maintenance and repairs as well as insurance and the fact that it may become more of a target for theft. BMW M3 is a sweet car. I like the new ones. They are fast, look great, and of course you get BMW quality, looks and ownership, not to mention that it's brand new.

If I were you, I'd look at what is most important to you. If money is no consideration, then you could go either way. But if the cost of insurance and maintenance/repairs will ultimately affect your choice, I'd go with whichever is the best overall value. Both cars are sweet. But for the money, I'd rather not buy something older and used. For a car under $20K, I'll buy used...but anymore than $20K then go with something new and under warranty.
paul98itr
ITRCA Member

Post by paul98itr »

:? . Hey, you could also become a mail man :P
Last edited by paul98itr on January 11th, 2003, 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sold 98 ITR #0195
itr 01-0492
New ITRCA Member

Post by itr 01-0492 »

S4 fast sleeper car. Do cat-back and exhaust and you would be around 320 hp. :D
01 Type-R #492......SOLD and sadly missed.
cxSHOE
ITRCA Member

get the skyline bro!!!!!!

Post by cxSHOE »

get the skyline, with the beamer you'll just be like the next joe down the street, i would stick with the r32 one its cheaper, second to rear wheel drive on the fly you just take out the fuse for the diff. easy as pie,, on the r33 you wont have that option, you will have to disconnect the whole drive shaft.. this sucks when you get your smog check,, why pay more for the dual set up smog checks... and on the r34 you can by pass it electronically as well, but not as easy as just the fuse for the r32,,, the r32 is lightest skyline model, same twin turbo as the r33, r34, you cant go wrong,,,

plus there are alot more wide body parts (which iwant to get ) the r32 among lots of other stuff,,, think of the r32 as the honda civic market is.. you can find all the parts you need. without a problem... and you can go to any certified nissan dealer to have work done without any problem with parts,,, and as far a oem body parts like fenders , spoilers and such,,, they sellthose on japanese auctions all day,,, so you may need to understand japanese but you can get the parts..... well let us all know what you end up getting,,, but my vote is for the skyline.......
paul98itr
ITRCA Member

Post by paul98itr »

No offense or anything, but the r32 is an uggly skyline. It's old, and slow(compared to the other skyline's off course.) I am not trying to say your sucks cause we all no it doesn't, I would just prefer a r33 if I had the money!
Sold 98 ITR #0195
pUrExTc
ITRCA Member

Post by pUrExTc »

i think i said earlier, i'm going with the r33 because i like the way it looks (yes, over the r32 and r34). However, I wouldn't say the r32 is ugly...i just think the r33 looks the most agressive. but i don't see a problem with having an m3 that looks like the next joe's car. it'll surprise a lot of those rice boys around here, that don't even know what the m3 is capable of...
'98 Acura Integra Type-R
'03 Honda CBR600RR