Help me build a CALIFORNIA legal street beast!

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
tameITR
New ITRCA Member

Help me build a CALIFORNIA legal street beast!

Post by tameITR »

ok, here is my problem! i just did an oil change on my 97 itr...i bought it kind of banged up, it has a comptech ecu, and some header/exhaust i can't tell what kind it is, i think its custom, but anyways, after the oil change about 2-4 weeks go by, and i get a check engine light, run the code and its a problem with vtec, first thing i check is my oil, and its effin' lowwwwww. i dont think im leakin oil, so i think its burnin oil. which makes me think, piston ring(s) or valve seal, anyone else agree? disagree? since i will have to pull my motor apart to see what is wrong/fix it, im thinkin about just building it up while its apart eh? i have been told to get the buddy club spec III cams, but i havn't had much experience with them, also, i'm asking you guys what you think would be good to be able to be 'legal' or smogable (i know, pretty limited) and also, what you think i should do as far as brands, and what i should do to build it up....to give you an idea, im not looking to make crazy horsepower, just give it a lil more...i think i'm around a 14.8 1/4 right now, so give me some ideas please!
tame ITR
===================
| V | T | E | C |
My Anti-Drug.
knowledge
ITRCA Member

Post by knowledge »

Well they say a stock ITR runs 14.8 in the 1/4. 1st do a leak down and compession tests on your motor! Also clean the VTEC solenoid. That should give you a good start on getting to the problem of your oil "issue".
2000 ITR #00-0124

Old crappy Civic- $300
Nitrous kit- $500
Blowing your motor when attempting to run a Type-R- PRICELESS!!!
tameITR
New ITRCA Member

Post by tameITR »

wow, thanks for the reply! i'll do that, turns out i might have to rebuild my tranny, hopefully its just some bearing, but damn, im screwed...lol im sooo broke right now
tame ITR
===================
| V | T | E | C |
My Anti-Drug.
knowledge
ITRCA Member

Post by knowledge »

I get back to Cali on November 28th. I am up by Yuba City, we could possibly meet up and I can take a look @ her for ya after that point sometime. :wink:
2000 ITR #00-0124

Old crappy Civic- $300
Nitrous kit- $500
tameITR
New ITRCA Member

Post by tameITR »

oh thanks man! i'd realllly appreciate it, i need to meet some ITR people...do u have aim or anything? hit me up

s/n: tr1ksh0t
tame ITR
===================
| V | T | E | C |
My Anti-Drug.
knowledge
ITRCA Member

Post by knowledge »

You will better get ahold of me here...

http://www.theimportscene.com
2000 ITR #00-0124

Old crappy Civic- $300
Nitrous kit- $500
wildcarditr102
New ITRCA Member

Post by wildcarditr102 »

I had a similar issue with my 98 ITR (Also banged up when I got it). If it is burning oil that much, you would be able to see blue smoke out of the exhaust and the back of your car would be dirty as hell.

I did an engine rebuild, fixed it right up.

Good luck,
Jake
SleeperR13
New ITRCA Member

oil

Post by SleeperR13 »

Yeah, I would do a leak down, then a Compression test like "knowledge"
says. You likely will not have to do a complete rebuild. It could be something much easier/less $$$ Keep us informed.. + Check out ww.Honda-Tech.com There are some Mad Scientists who live on that site..

Tristan
00-0503
wildcarditr102
New ITRCA Member

Post by wildcarditr102 »

Definitely. Honda-acura.net is a great place, too-they walked me through my compression tests and troubleshooting. Here's the thread I had about my problem (There's a great link about compression testing on there):

http://www.honda-acura.net/forums/showt ... blue+smoke

Keep us informed
Jake