3500$ to spend on stock 1999 ITR

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Jacques79
New ITRCA Member

3500$ to spend on stock 1999 ITR

Post by Jacques79 »

Hey all,

I'm going to buy a 1999 ITR that has a 4000 mile engine. (replaced by Acura)

I did some research and came up with the following mods:

I'm going to buy AEM cold air, Toda Headers, a performance exhaust, a Comptech lightweight flywheel and upgraded cams and valve springs.

With installation will these mods bring me over to 3500$? I'm still doing some research on the best cams-valve springs and exhaust brand. I saw so many good reviews of Toda headers so I guess they make solid cams and exhaust systems right?

If these mods don't go over my budget what other thing should I do? I don't intend to race. I'm guessing ''Hondata'' ECU but here in Montreal I never saw a tuner that deals with ITR.

I already place an order for a Quaife quick steering rack with 2.4 turns lock to lock.

The car already has sticky Falken tires, upgraded rotors and brake pads.

I know this subject has been beaten to death, but I'm basically looking for the best parts available, not cheap stuff off Ebay lol

Thanks for the help; I've doing research all day long but I'd finally like to just ask...
Sprockett
ITRCA Member

Post by Sprockett »

I love my Thermal R&D exhaust, and highly recommend it. Great sound and looks!

http://videos.streetfire.net/player.asp ... 188828514A

Also, if you're going to the trouble of changing your flywheel, do the clutch too. Not sure what you're building this for, but I have an Exedy Stage II clutch, and I like that, too. It holds well, and is still very streetable.

As for the other stuff, I'm sure the NA guys can help you out more than I can :)
2000 PY Integra Type-R Turbo
#2000-602
Check it out:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2185863/1
Jacques79
New ITRCA Member

Post by Jacques79 »

I just test drove the car I wanted to buy: it's confirmed:D

Man such a fun car too drive!

Only drawback is the steering wheel; it feels cheap!
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Re: 3500$ to spend on stock 1999 ITR

Post by Bbasso »

Jacques79 wrote:I'm going to buy AEM cold air, Toda Header, a performance exhaust, a Comptech lightweight flywheel.
seems good, but what exhaust & and upgraded cams and valve springs?

If you are going to be daily driving the car or are looking for reliablitly, I would skip the cam change and use that money for a standalone ECU system.
With stock cams mid 190 whp (and higher) is possible. I'm at 189 with stock cams and mild bolt-ons- But I pay the price for a loud exhaust. I got that # while tuned with a VAFC, but no longer have it in the car. I'm sure the car has more but due to my oil burning issues and not having a standalone System I'm missing some.
now if you are looking for a cat back system I have heard many of them, but one of the nicest sounding was the fujitsubo rm01a mated with a toda header and jdm cat. And from what I hear the #'s are very impressive for such a quiet setup.
If You don't mind noise... may I suggest BCIII or the BC pro-spec.
I have the BCIII and the sound is like no other. anyone that has heard my car either likes it or hates it...

Now you say the car has upgraded rotors and brake pads, do you know what they are?
IMHO cheap rotors ( autozone or advanced ) work just fine for DD and track use.

Have more questions, I'll try to answer
swed
Jacques79
New ITRCA Member

Post by Jacques79 »

Thanks Rob I appreciate your comments.

After test-driving it though I don't feel as mod-happy; the car seems perfectly well balanced!

Do you know if a S2000 steering wheel would fit on an ITR?

I think those are the best stock steering wheels in the world...they feel divine...
naDC2R
ITRCA Member

Post by naDC2R »

i would suggest looking into the Skunk2 lineup. I'm personally running on stage 2 cams, and upgraded valve springs and retainers, along with their cam gears. i havent dyno tuned it yet, but i can tell you, that i do notice a difference already, makes the whole motor soo much louder, lol. But i have seen guys getting 215-220whp on this setup, with other bolt-ons as well, like skunk2 t.b, hytech header, test pipe, and skunk2 exhaust, etc.

Good luck with your decisions though!
96 Spec R
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

Jacques79 wrote:Thanks Rob I appreciate your comments.

After test-driving it though I don't feel as mod-happy; the car seems perfectly well balanced!

I think those are the best stock steering wheels in the world...they feel divine...
S2000 wheel does not fit, look into a JDM ITR wheel w/ or w/o airbag, they are dreamy :roll:
swed
Jacques79
New ITRCA Member

Post by Jacques79 »

I like steering wheels that are as small as possible and very thick, grippy. (has to be leather too)

Is the JDM ITR steering wheel like that? I researched a bit and it doesn't seem to have an airbag...

Maybe I'll look into a 2005 type S steering wheel. Any other suggestions?

I know there are tons of aftermarket steering wheels that are dead sexy, but I really want to keep my airbag...(especially after watching all those ITR videos where people crash all the time lol)
Sprockett
ITRCA Member

Post by Sprockett »

Some JDM wheels do have an airbag...just look around for SRS JDM steering wheel (like on ebay)
#2000-602
Check it out:
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

Jacques79 wrote:I like steering wheels that are as small as possible and very thick, grippy. (has to be leather too)

Is the JDM ITR steering wheel like that? I researched a bit and it doesn't seem to have an airbag...
there are two jdm ITR steering wheels, one with the air bag, but if IIRC it's a little smaller then the US wheel but bigger then the steering wheel w/o the air bag.

Now putting in the jdm wheel w air bag is not direct, I think that something has to be fiddled with to make the air bag work. Hopefully someone here can confirm.
swed
bbqman
Canadian Director

Post by bbqman »

Jacques, did you buy the car finally?

I am happy that you may reconsider all the mods. You should take it to the track instead.
white rocket
ITRCA Member

Post by white rocket »

I have a 320mm Momo Monte Carlo wheel and I love it. If you like small, grippy and thick, this is the whel for you.

As for a I/H/E set-up, I run the J's intake to a Toda header through a T1R testpipe and T1R 2.5inch catback. Great sound and performance. A little loud though. I would recommend it.

Drive the car a lot before you start modding it. You may realize you like the car just the way it is.

Good luck.
Jacques79
New ITRCA Member

Post by Jacques79 »

bbqman wrote:

Jacques, did you buy the car finally?

I am happy that you may reconsider all the mods. You should take it to the track instead.

Yes I'm buying the car tomorrow if it passes a Honda dealer inspection.(which I hope it should...)

After driving it I won't even put a cold air intake; I'll just remove the air box to hear the VTEC even more!

Only things I will change are:

1-Get smallest steering wheel possible

2-Get 16 inch tires with the largest width possible along with the lightest wheels. I think it's 215 on the ITR.

3-A quicker ratio steering rack

That's it. Basically I just want a little firmer feel from the steering wheel, a more ''tight feel''.
Jacques79
New ITRCA Member

Post by Jacques79 »

white rocket wrote:I have a 320mm Momo Monte Carlo wheel and I love it. If you like small, grippy and thick, this is the whel for you.

As for a I/H/E set-up, I run the J's intake to a Toda header through a T1R testpipe and T1R 2.5inch catback. Great sound and performance. A little loud though. I would recommend it.

Drive the car a lot before you start modding it. You may realize you like the car just the way it is.

Good luck.
I looked up your steering wheel but it doesn't look thick enough. Although if you say it's a great feel I might consider it. Doesn't have airbafg though, doesn't that bother you? I want something small but with a nice thick feel. Kind of like the new M roadster :D
Sprockett
ITRCA Member

Post by Sprockett »

Jacques likes GIRTH lol :lol:

Best of luck with everything. get an AutoPower roll bar and a takata harness too :)
#2000-602
Check it out:
B18C5-T
New ITRCA Member

Post by B18C5-T »

talking about sterring , Anybody tried a rsx sterring wheel on a dc2 ?

looks nice and smaller :)
gsrjigga
New ITRCA Member

e

Post by gsrjigga »

had a 2003 civic si steering wheel..

people loved it in my integra..
had people foold it was 05 rsx - r wheel

red stiching, Big H badge... ..

But to have it installed, u have to buy an EK steering column..
bbqman
Canadian Director

Post by bbqman »

B18C5-T wrote:talking about sterring , Anybody tried a rsx sterring wheel on a dc2 ?

looks nice and smaller :)
Hey Jon, welcome back to Mtl.!
Johnny T
New ITRCA Member

Post by Johnny T »

Congrats on the R pick up!
You have a good set up in mind, using quality parts.
Its too bad $3500cdn won't even get you half of what you have planned. You ordered a Quaife quick steering rack? how much was that?
A toda header is over $1200 alone!. Sorry man when you start getting prices you'll see :cry:
Good luck!