New here!!!! my quest!

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Sleep1
New ITRCA Member

New here!!!! my quest!

Post by Sleep1 »

whats up guys.

I recently purchased a 2000 phoenix yellow ITR with Inline pro GT35 turbo kit with intercooler/waste gate/boost controller/Greddy blow off valve. Also a Hondata s2 ecu. Greddy Stainless steel headers. Custom 3" exhaust. Perfomance clutch. ( dont know the brand ). Skunk 2 Short throw shift. Avital remote start and alarm. sony Xplode head unit with a 2-10inch sub ported box and two rockford amps mounted under each seat. Also a High/Low boost control switch located next to the shifter. and a hidden kill switch.

Ever since i was a teenager I wanted a type-R. Naturally I never had the money to get one. Now im only 25 but i own 2 businesses and have enough money to put into a nice toy car. I also have a 06 bmw X5 to drive when i dont feel like shifting all day. I was looking around for type-r's when i found this one for sale in Virginia. I called and asked if it was real. They said yea and its about 400whp. Naturally i didnt buy that, but i did believe it was one seriously fast fing car. so i put money down on it. after i made them promise a warranty. and took a 4 and 1/2 hour train ride down to virginia. that was hell. pure hell
I arrived at the station in some backwater virginia town that looked like a set piece for the blair witch project. Dealer sent someone to pick me there but nobody was around. A couple cars passed me and i asked if they were "The Dealer" they gave me a look that ... well i guess someone wandering a trainstation asking for "Dealers" shoud get. But anyhow he finally showed up and i resumed the position of sitting on my ass for 40 more minutes...... Hell continues...
We arrive at the dealer and he begins to show me the car.

Its important to note that the entire time i was on the train i had this odd feeling of hopefulness/anticipation/nervousness. Kind of like I had ordered a mail order bride and was waiting to see if she was everything i hoped and dreamed of. Seeing as how i had kinda locked myself into the realationship before i had seen her. ( to all of u saying "Not Smart" ... you havent been in the car yet =) )

Anyhow as we walk to the car he actived the remote start. The Car came to life.

My mail order bride showed up and .....she was good, as the lord would say =)

The next order of events were a blur of signatures, phone calls, then a pat on the back, And i was out the door.

Now mind you .... I have never driven a turbo charged car. =) Or rather a turbo charged weapon of mass destruction.

After fiddling with the clutch trying to get it in gear.... and making a complete ass of myself... i managed to get the turbo ( which kicks in at around 4500rpm) going in second gear. i then crapped myself and backed off. and found myself stuck in rush hour traffic in virginia. still having to go through baltimore and D.C. . ........ That was the 5th, 6th, and 7th ring of Dante's Inferno. stop and go traffic in a car with a clutch and transmission i had no idea how to work.
After the first 2 hours i had gotten the concept behind 1st and 2nd gears. basically the only use for 1st gear is to get the car rolling then quickly switch into 2nd. If you pin 1st by flooring it... faster than you can react the pin goes to 4500rpm and the faster than your mind can comprehend, the turbo kicks in, your tires spin out of control and lose traction. you shift to second and watch with amazment as your headunit explodes forth over the shifter and e-brake, nearley launching itself into your back seat if not for the colorful arrangement of bungee cord/wires attached to it. All this ... and you've gone 10 feet. And discovered why they call it a sony "XPLODE" headunit.
In second i get more life out of the car by not flooring it but controlling the acceleration. after that 3rd is the monster gear. and then 4th and 5th you are basically playing chicken with yourself. ya know like daring your self not to take your foot off the gas until you hit 8,300rpm.

Well kids after 6 1/2 hours straight on the road i pretty much got a crash course in turbo driving. By the time i got to the NJ turpike I beat out everything except the sun. its and odd feeling to have and adreline rush everytime i drive ... but hey its a turbo-R. this week i have to put a cat on the thing so it passes inspection. and im getting it dyno'd and tuned if needed. First thing im buying for this car is a boot. then who knows. any suggestions?

Thanks for reading.... Later
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

Congrats!

But where are the pictures???

and don't forget to add your new caR to the Registy ( on the top )
swed
gsrjigga
New ITRCA Member

Post by gsrjigga »

haha.. nice story..

id say your crazy for puttin your self in that kind of a predicament over a car.. but hey.. i guess things turnd out pretty good!... congrats!!

PICS!!
Sleep1
New ITRCA Member

umm...

Post by Sleep1 »

Bbasso wrote:Congrats!

But where are the pictures???

and don't forget to add your new caR to the Registy ( on the top )
I havent figured out yet how to post em. I mean im following the directions in the post on how to. but all off the dealer pics are not able to upload.. And I've been to busy driving to photograph it ... so heres a link to the dealers page with pics of the car ... dont know how much longer it will be up though

http://cyrus-motor-company.ebizautos.co ... iid=862409
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

Photoshop magic...

swed
Dave_B

Post by Dave_B »

What is that funny looking radiator thing? :o

Car looks good man.
R1366
ITRCA Member

Post by R1366 »

interesting story :P congrats and good luck!

since your in Jersey you better get 2 boots for added security
Dawn, Destroyer of Worlds
Post Whore!!

Post by Dawn, Destroyer of Worlds »

Congrats!!!She's beautiful.
black itr guy
New ITRCA Member

Post by black itr guy »

noice
no really they are just stickers. =)
Chris F
ITRCA Member

Post by Chris F »

Have FUN!

If I was shopping for a turbo car, I'd do this first (but you might want to do it now anyway).

1) Check compression.
This'll give you a good idea of the health of the motor. Above 200 psi means you probably have OEM pistons. You didn't mention forged pistons/rods, did you?

2) Watch oil consumption
Carefully monitor the oil consumption. Check the oil every time you get gas.

3) Check with the shop that did the tuning
The tuner would know how aggressive the tune is, how much boost the owner was running, whether it was a time bomb or not.

Keep the boost on low until you know what exactly it is you're dealing with :)

ALSO-- get some fancy heat wrap for your AC hoses! Seriously. I burned through a few of them (with and without heat wrap) until I took out the AC.
CC Fries IV
Sold ITR 98-1085
1993 Prelude VTEC
Chris F
ITRCA Member

Re: New here!!!! my quest!

Post by Chris F »

Sleep1 wrote:I recently purchased a 2000 phoenix yellow ITR with Inline pro GT35 turbo kit with intercooler/waste gate/boost controller/Greddy blow off valve. Also a Hondata s2 ecu. Greddy Stainless steel headers. Custom 3" exhaust. Perfomance clutch. ( dont know the brand ). Skunk 2 Short throw shift.
I am 99% sure you don't have Greddy Stainless Steel Headers. :)

The InlinePRO exhaust mani replaces a header. Your downpipe is probably an inline pro as well.

Anyhow, have fun learning more about your car.
CC Fries IV
Sold ITR 98-1085
1993 Prelude VTEC