Apexi V-AFC question

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Yoshimitshu
New ITRCA Member

Apexi V-AFC question

Post by Yoshimitshu »

Ok so im wondering is getting the Apexi V-AFC with only a CAI is good to buy now or is it one of those mods that comes better when u have more mods....oh, and i have the 98' JDM ITR engine. And on another note a buddy of mine with a '01 Prelude got a Apexi V-AFC and got his car tuned with it and got 10whp. So im just wondering if its worth it to buy it now or wait?
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

Personally I'd suggest a Hondata product that fits your budget. S100 will do WAY more than a VAFC and allows for partial throttle tuning. You may not net a 10 HP gain but you will likely see a 5-8 hp gain across the board from tuning.
Yoshimitshu
New ITRCA Member

Post by Yoshimitshu »

im not very familar with Hondata and other electronic stuff. Does it work like the VAFC?? Is it like a new ecu or something? And would it be better to get after basic mods?
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Jan Niemi »

Honestly the VAFC is a very barbaric way to 'tune' anything. It modifies the MAP sensor signal in order to trick the ECU into delivering more, or less fuel without any regard to ignition timing...this in and of itself is a very bad thing to do. I admit that I played around with a VAFC on my car back in my more ignorant days.

Take the advice that Trey gave you, get the Hondata before wasting money on a crude piggyback computer.
http://speedindustry.biz
for all of your tuning, parts, fabrication and other service needs.
Yoshimitshu
New ITRCA Member

Post by Yoshimitshu »

ok im very bad in knowledge when it comes to this kind-of stuff. Is Hondata like a brand new ecu? if so do u take out the old one and put it in? is that how it works?
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Jan Niemi »

Yoshimitshu wrote:ok im very bad in knowledge when it comes to this kind-of stuff. Is Hondata like a brand new ecu? if so do u take out the old one and put it in? is that how it works?
http://hondata.com/aboutus.html
http://speedindustry.biz
for all of your tuning, parts, fabrication and other service needs.
Yoshimitshu
New ITRCA Member

Post by Yoshimitshu »

thanks for the info.....still a little confused, think im going to talk to some of the guys at the dyno shop im going to to get some advice....learn more
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

Take what Dyno Jockeys say with a grain of salt.
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

What's confusing you?
swed
Yoshimitshu
New ITRCA Member

Post by Yoshimitshu »

about hondata? well does it come with everything needed so its just "plug and play?" or do I have get a harness kit and the software for it?
97unknownITR
New ITRCA Member

Post by 97unknownITR »

i have a vafc already in my car. can i get the hondata and keep the vafc in ?
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

97unknownITR wrote:i have a vafc already in my car. can i get the hondata and keep the vafc in ?
Yes it can be done.
swed