Axle problem (pictures)

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
MikeB
New ITRCA Member

Axle problem (pictures)

Post by MikeB »

Long story short, I broke an axle at the track so I decided to change them both out on my ITR. We all know axle jobs are designed to be nearly a 15 minute job provided you have the correct tools. Well, that wasnt the case here, BOTH axles FROZE in their hubs. They froze SO BADLY, PB blaster wouldnt do the trick even letting it sit for a few minutes. I wacked and wacked and wacked, it didnt come out. My little air hammer STILL didnt do it.

So, I had to pull the entire knuckle off along with the axles. Brought it to my friend and he let it sit in some PB blaster type stuff for 3 days. After it sat for a few days, we BARELY got it to move with a dead blow hammer and Snapon air hammer. We ended up mushrooming the axle so bad that we had to grind off the edges.

Here are some pictures of the carnage and of "BROKE AND BROKER" lol. :P

StatGSR
New ITRCA Member

Post by StatGSR »

ouch man. thats not cool.

but on another note, i think its hilarious that u still have the expo 5 numbers on your car!
94 Integra GSR
Dave_B

Post by Dave_B »

Ask Rob about taking out his axles while here was here in FL. :shock:
Erik95LS
Banjo Viking

Post by Erik95LS »

I hate axles. I think I'm going to stop using them. :x
-Erik

"i sneezed and jam came out" - R-Box
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

Dave B wrote:Ask Rob about taking out his axles while here was here in FL. :shock:
Don't remind me... :roll:
swed
BudMan
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by BudMan »

hehehe - I'm laughing because I remember breaking the 20,000lb press with my axle.

Cost of winning driveshaftshop roadrace axles at expo3 = ZERO

Cost of replacing the entire knuckle assembly so I can use the axles = $500.

I think there was savings in there somewhere right???
importrepairguy
New ITRCA Member

Post by importrepairguy »

Try a torch next time. Not to cut them but to heat them (be careful not to over heat like warping spindle bearings), Heat expands the metal and makes it softer, w/ the PB Blaster it will help soften the rust and oxidation. Good practice after removal is to clean the hub splined area w/ a wire brush then lightley apply some antiseize prior to installing the new axle. 8)
Chris F
ITRCA Member

Post by Chris F »

importrepairguy wrote:Try a torch next time. Not to cut them but to heat them (be careful not to over heat like warping spindle bearings), Heat expands the metal and makes it softer, w/ the PB Blaster it will help soften the rust and oxidation. Good practice after removal is to clean the hub splined area w/ a wire brush then lightley apply some antiseize prior to installing the new axle. 8)
Mine popped right out yesterday with a gentle tug.. and I'm pretty rough on them. :) Of course, I'm still on OEM axles, and this is probably only the 2nd time I've had to take off the front knuckle/hub (both times for bearings).

I'll antiseize them just in case. That's really weird that they would bind like that.
CC Fries IV
Sold ITR 98-1085
1993 Prelude VTEC
walker111
Post Whore!!

Post by walker111 »

This same thing happened to me a few weeks ago! What a PITA! I had to hack off the F!@#ed up end with a dremel in order to get it out.
Sleep1
New ITRCA Member

yea..

Post by Sleep1 »

yea I Broke an axle last wensday at raceway park. didnt even get it on the track. I upgraded to stronger ones so hopefully this wont happen again!

sux
2000 Phoenix R
Turbo charged and otherwise ... just damn fast

306Hp with bad spark plugs and untuned Ecu

1/4 = Don't know. Broke axle in parking lot after tech-line

(Will Update)
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Jan Niemi »

you can't just beat on the axle directly like that brother..you have to get yourself a nice sized center punch that locates on the center 'dimple' of the axle and a bigger hammer...I know it sounds crude, but beating on it with something that has very little mass will not do it..I use about a 10lb sledge hammer on seized axles, the added mass allows you to not have to repeatedly beat on it, usually one, or two 'pops' will do the job, I can always get the job done with no damage done to the part.

I don't use heat on seized axles because ultimately you are going to damage the hub bearing with all that heat..it burns the grease inside, so failure of that component will be eminent.
http://speedindustry.biz
for all of your tuning, parts, fabrication and other service needs.
BudMan
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by BudMan »

Jan - that's good info. If only I would have pulled mine before 100,000 miles of DD & ~20HPDEs I might have had a chance :)

Using the dimple is excellent. As soon as you start hammering on the entire end, you just balloon the tip & guarantee it won't come off.
walker111
Post Whore!!

Post by walker111 »

I tried the dimple first with an oversized impact hammer, it didnt even budge the axle.
BudMan
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by BudMan »

walker111 wrote:I tried the dimple first with an oversized impact hammer, it didnt even budge the axle.
At least you didn't follow my lead when I was helping a neighbor on a cold day & missed the damn thing & hit my hand with a 5lb sledge = OUCH!!!! :shock:

I got really lucky not to break anything. Me = loser!!