ticking noise coming from my ITR

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
JDM98Spec
New ITRCA Member

ticking noise coming from my ITR

Post by JDM98Spec »

Hey Guys,

I just have a question about my motor (~100,000km). I recently noticed a ticking noise coming from my motor. The ticking noise sounds proportionally to the engine speed when i rev it. After hearing this noise I did a full tune up on my car:

- change wires/plugs/distributor cap
- performed timing
- valve adjustment
- changed oil

After doing the tune up the ticking noise was quieter but still present. My motor is pretty much stock except cam gears(0 degree angle), intake(SRI), and exaust.

The ticking noise is really starting to get under my skin. I was wondering if you fellow ITR owners could give me some insight on what the problem may be.

Thanks in advance for your expertise,
Sherman
I couldn't fix ur brakes, so i made ur horn louder
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Jan Niemi »

double check your valve lash
http://speedindustry.biz
for all of your tuning, parts, fabrication and other service needs.
knowledge
ITRCA Member

Post by knowledge »

What I was thinking myself...
2000 ITR #00-0124

Old crappy Civic- $300
Nitrous kit- $500
Blowing your motor when attempting to run a Type-R- PRICELESS!!!
JDM98Spec
New ITRCA Member

Post by JDM98Spec »

the valve clearences are perfect. Do you think one of the valves could be bent?
knowledge
ITRCA Member

Post by knowledge »

Possibly, but I dont know the history of your engine. Might have a bad valve spring also, but these are all the things you need to look at. Can you locate the area of teh ticking? Mine ticks too, but has ever since I did all my head work. I know its the better springs/cams/retainers that cause mine. The valves close A LOT harder and faster than they did @ stock.
2000 ITR #00-0124

Old crappy Civic- $300
Nitrous kit- $500
JDM98Spec
New ITRCA Member

Post by JDM98Spec »

knowledge wrote:Possibly, but I dont know the history of your engine. Might have a bad valve spring also, but these are all the things you need to look at. Can you locate the area of teh ticking? Mine ticks too, but has ever since I did all my head work. I know its the better springs/cams/retainers that cause mine. The valves close A LOT harder and faster than they did @ stock.
I bought the engine with about ~90,000km on it. The guy who originally put the motor in didn't do any head work. He told me that he performed a valve adjustment a little while back. The ticking noise seems to be coming from under the valve cover. So it might be a bad spring/valve(s).

Whats the difference between a valve tick and a injector tick??
knowledge
ITRCA Member

Post by knowledge »

HAHA, its hard to describe the difference between the 2 ticks over the internet. You will just have to stick your ear next to the injector's to see if that is where it's comming from. I do however use a trick to hear cyl. tick and head ticks...

Take a long socket extension, then put the end that the socket would go on onto the head rught above where the header sits. You have to hold it real tight there. Then with the other end that the ratchet goes on, Tick your ear to it. You can hear every cyl. by putting it on the head above each exhaust port. Best way I have ever found to diagnose each cyl. separately.

Hope that is a lil trick of knowledge I can pass on down... 8)
2000 ITR #00-0124

Old crappy Civic- $300
Nitrous kit- $500
malv1
New ITRCA Member

Post by malv1 »

Does your car have the stock exhaust manifold on it? If so, pull the heat
shield and look for a crack in the manifold.

I had a noise on mine and when i was switching to the kamikaze header, the stock manifold was split down the middle, look for a crack in there.

Nick
JDM98Spec
New ITRCA Member

Post by JDM98Spec »

Im just going to perform a compression test....see if i can find something there....keep you guys posted....Thanks for all the replies