Getting a car this month.... ITR or s2k

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
aznthr1lla
New ITRCA Member

Getting a car this month.... ITR or s2k

Post by aznthr1lla »

ok the subject sort of tells it all im getting a car this month and im torn between a s2000 and a integra type r..... ive driven the s2000 but never a type r i was leaning toward the s2000 but after seeing some ITRs its been very hard to make a choice.... id like some help maybe some comparisons
cory25
ITRCA Member

Post by cory25 »

ok I have driven both I own an ITR and driven several s2k's. My best friend has a 2001 s2k. The s2k has the best shifting I have ever felt; the tranny is very sophisticated but not robust. I know people that have blown trannys on the third or forth launch. However it's nice car. If you put them both on a race track, it would depend on the driver. And I think the most important Q is do you like a FF or FR drivetrain.
2001 R py#0025
Dawn, Destroyer of Worlds
Post Whore!!

Post by Dawn, Destroyer of Worlds »

Cory25 makes some good points, but don't forget about things like insurance costs and theft prevention.

Definately big deals.
Doespike
Half way to a cool title.

Post by Doespike »

Dawn, Destroyer of Worlds wrote:Cory25 makes some good points, but don't forget about things like insurance costs and theft prevention.

Definately big deals.
Especially in most cities around the country, and ESPECIALLY if you plan to daily drive heR. GL with your search and decision! :P
-Joe - ITR RegistRar
98-0309...Born 1/22/1998.
ITR Expo!
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

practicality is what made me go with the R, If I had know I would be handcuffed to it for life.. I Would have gone a different direction.

But then I might not have been on track, ever :?
swed
knowledge
ITRCA Member

Post by knowledge »

Test drive both, and see what you like better. FF or FR, both cars handle like a dream straight from th efactory. So basically it all depends on what you want... GL 8)
2000 ITR #00-0124

Old crappy Civic- $300
Nitrous kit- $500
Blowing your motor when attempting to run a Type-R- PRICELESS!!!
walker111
Post Whore!!

Post by walker111 »

knowledge wrote:Test drive both, and see what you like better. FF or FR, both cars handle like a dream straight from th efactory. So basically it all depends on what you want... GL 8)
How big are you? I'm 6'4 250+, the S2000 is not an option for me....
aznthr1lla
New ITRCA Member

Post by aznthr1lla »

thats for the replies

pretty much all of em helped me out a bit

how does the type r shifting compare to the s2k? and which one would u say is a better handler in your opinions FF and FR doesnt really matter to me in this case.

oh ya i live in vegas so maybe the type r would be risky to have around here in terms of security

and im 5'8 so the s2k size isnt a problem for me
knowledge
ITRCA Member

Post by knowledge »

walker111 wrote:
knowledge wrote:Test drive both, and see what you like better. FF or FR, both cars handle like a dream straight from th efactory. So basically it all depends on what you want... GL 8)
How big are you? I'm 6'4 250+, the S2000 is not an option for me....
5' 10", 180 Lb's!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thrilla... if you get an S2K, remember its a drop top. Very easy to cut the top and get in for a thief. I recommend you get a hardtop right at the time of purchase of an S2K! The R don't even have a sunroof.... :wink:
2000 ITR #00-0124

Old crappy Civic- $300
Nitrous kit- $500
Blowing your motor when attempting to run a Type-R- PRICELESS!!!
cory25
ITRCA Member

Post by cory25 »

you are going to have to drive both for sure. The shifting in an R is very sweet, deff no complants. But the s2k is one step up(IMO).
2001 R py#0025
aznthr1lla
New ITRCA Member

Post by aznthr1lla »

alrite im gunna try as hard as a can to find a type r to test out
joe s
ITRCA Member

Post by joe s »

I've owned my ITR since new '98, and for the past 3 years or so I've gotten the urge several times to own an S2000. They're cool looking, make great numbers, and have that Honda quality. Then I'll drive one and realize I just can't pull the trigger to buy one. It's just a bit too snug - I'm talking daily driver here - and too noisy with the top up. Of course, another factor for me and not for you is that I live in Ohio and you don't! Perhaps if I lived in a warm climate like yours, and could keep the top down most of the time, it would be a harder decision. I simply love the R, tho; it's just one notch down from the S2k in performance, feel, 'nervousness' ie edginess, and shift action.
As you inquired about shifting, I prefer the slightly longer throw of the R; the S2k is so short you sometimes don't realize you're changing gears. That's not necessarily a bad thing, mind you, just an observation. The S2k I drove just the other week had some notchiness from 1st to 2nd that I really had to use 'kid gloves' to avoid; it may have just been that particular car.
The ITR, tho definitely edgy, is more comfortable, roomy, and quiet; easier to live with on a daily basis. Of course, I'm an old fart and appreciate that more than you might. Like I said before, though, if I lived where I could drive a convertible with the top down a majority of the time the S2k would be hard to beat, esp for the $.
It may just come down to front vs rear wheel drive handling and coupe vs ragtop. The nice thing about it is that you can't lose either way! Good luck.
ciRca
New ITRCA Member

Post by ciRca »

you're probably gonna need a second DD if u have an ITR in vegas due to theft
aznthr1lla
New ITRCA Member

Post by aznthr1lla »

thanks joe s for ur reply... kind of makes me realize that the s2k might not be too good for a daily driver because thats wat it will be if i get it
aznthr1lla
New ITRCA Member

Post by aznthr1lla »

k well so far no luck at all getting a itr to test out
Dave_B

Post by Dave_B »

Get both. One for the track and one for the street. :D
http://www.picperformance.com

PIC Performance and Amsoil authorized distributor.
Jacques79
New ITRCA Member

Post by Jacques79 »

I've owned both and currently own an S2000.

You're more limited with the ITR in terms of handling at the limit, steering response, acceleration and transmission feel.

Plus the driving position in the S2K is much better than the one in the ITR.

600 more RPM is also more fun:)

Even if the S2K is a better car, IMO, I often think about getting another ITR because having only 2 seats and a tiny trunk as a daily driver is pretty harsh...

If you're willing to make the sacrifice than get the S2K; but if you're often with friends in your car and like to make road trips or carry stuff in your car get the ITR.

Oh, one thing I like more about the ITR: The noise of the engine. It's just much more wicked than and high-pitched!
davidnyc
New ITRCA Member

Post by davidnyc »

Dave_B wrote:Get both. One for the track and one for the street. :D

This is what I have. I have a H2 ITR race car and my daily is a 2002 S2K (which is for sale if interested: cycldav@hotmail.com)

You'll be surprised at how much stuff you can fit in the S2K. It is not that much of a compromise... the main compromise is that no matter what, you can only have one passenger. Take theft out of the equation and I would take the S2K as a daily driver over the ITR:
1. As a 30+ yr old adult, the S2K is more adult. I don't have to worry about too many ricers bothering me, it does happen but not as much.
2. A convertible is AMAZINGLY relaxing way to drive/commute and chill out.
3. RWD is just so much fun and it just feels so much better than FWD. Having no power in the front wheels makes the steering so light and responsive. I love the S2K feel and my previous Miata feel. Great cars.
4. With the top up you can use the shelf behind the seats and I was able to bring home a FULL shopping cart of groceries and my wife and I were able to sit comfortably and the view out the back was not blocked by the bags.

Why am I selling? Just want to cut down on costs (I own three vehicles - Tacoma tow, S2K daily, ITR race). I bought the car used in Dec. 2003 with about 15K miles... it now has 66K miles or about 17K per year, so I do love to drive it.
davidnyc
New ITRCA Member

Post by davidnyc »

aznthr1lla wrote:thats for the replies

pretty much all of em helped me out a bit

how does the type r shifting compare to the s2k? and which one would u say is a better handler in your opinions FF and FR doesnt really matter to me in this case.

oh ya i live in vegas so maybe the type r would be risky to have around here in terms of security

and im 5'8 so the s2k size isnt a problem for me
To answer your questions:
Shifting:
The S2K shifting is superb (similar to Miata's) however if the S2K is a 10 then the ITR is a 8.5 or 9, not so much different that it would sway my opinion.

Handling:
Ultimately the S2K handles better, HOWEVER, since most people shouldn't approach handling limits on the street, I would say that the street performance is almost a tie. Although, the S2K accelerates faster. The biggest difference between the cars is based on FWD vs. RWD, so you do need to take this into account for your decision.
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

Well said Dave, thanks for stepping in.
swed
aznthr1lla
New ITRCA Member

Post by aznthr1lla »

thanks for the replies again.... im leaning towards a s2k but again i saw another ITR on tuesday at the mall and wow it was nice
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

aznthr1lla wrote: i saw another ITR on tuesday at the mall
Right there is a shocking statement. Not at you but the careless owner.
swed
Doespike
Half way to a cool title.

Post by Doespike »

Bbasso wrote:
Yeah, malls and ITRs don't mix well. Either hate or thievery finds em.

<---recently hooked on S2000s as a DD possibilty. Thank you very much Dave B! :twisted:
-Joe - ITR RegistRar
98-0309...Born 1/22/1998.
ITR Expo!
Dave_B

Post by Dave_B »

Doespike wrote:
Bbasso wrote:
Yeah, malls and ITRs don't mix well. Either hate or thievery finds em.

<---recently hooked on S2000s as a DD possibilty. Thank you very much Dave B! :twisted:
Do eeeiiiggghhhtttt!!!! You know you wanna.
http://www.picperformance.com

PIC Performance and Amsoil authorized distributor.
aznthr1lla
New ITRCA Member

Post by aznthr1lla »

actually it was a car meet at the mall so he didnt jus leave it there....but ya i dont think i am ever gunna find a R to test out so im leaning even more to the s2k