What Tire brand do you prefer

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Humpie56
ITRCA Member

What Tire brand do you prefer

Post by Humpie56 »

I'm looking into getting a certain size tire and Hankook is the only company that has both sizes in the same tire. The model is Ventus R-S2 they are High Performance Summer tires

Tire sizes are F-225.45.15 and R-205.50.15

They are the same Circumference as each other and larger front and smaller rear promotes a more neutral handling, improving the ITRs already awesome handling.

Mike
"The Customer Can Have Any Color He Wants So Long As It's Black"-Henry Ford

Built From the Ground Up

Black 01 Acura Integra Type-R B18C5
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Re: What Tire brand do you prefer

Post by Bbasso »

Intended use of tire?
swed
engsr
New ITRCA Member

Post by engsr »

Humpie56 wrote:I'm looking into getting a certain size tire and Hankook is the only company that has both sizes in the same tire. The model is Ventus R-S2 they are High Performance Summer tires

They are the same Circumference as each other and larger front and smaller rear promotes a more neutral handling, improving the ITRs already awesome handling.

Mike
From my experience, reducing the contact patch of the rear tires relative to the front tires actually induces the behaviour of oversteer. The rear tires have less grip than the fronts and will break easier. Many autoslalom drivers that I know do this for that exact reason - ask Carl (bbqman) as he runs that same staggered set-up. No doubt that it improves the handling of the car but I don't think it promotes neutral handling. :D
George Knighton
ITRCA Member

Post by George Knighton »

Humpie56 wrote:I'm looking into getting a certain size tire and Hankook is the only company that has both sizes in the same tire. The model is Ventus R-S2 they are High Performance Summer tires

The Hankook RS2 compound is great. But here's the problem: The tread design does not put enough of that compound onto the ground, IMHO.

What happens is that you tend to over cook the tyres because you're trying to get the same handling you'd get out of other tyres that put a little more rubber on the ground.

That's just my experience.

I've only used them at one place, the Shenandoah Circuit at Summit Point, and they came off the car immediately.

If you're looking at those tyres, I honestly feel you would be better served by Falken Azenis, which are also offered in both of those sizes, or the Toyo RA1 or R888, both of which are also available in both of those sizes.

The decision to stagger your tyres sizes is controversial. People who win races on the East Coast do not stagger sizes, whereas it's more likely that people who win races on the West Coast will stagger sizes. On the East Coast, they will say that you are staggering sizes to make up for bad suspension choices.
p nut
New ITRCA Member

Post by p nut »

I used Azenis RT615 on the track with good results. On the streets, I absolutely loved the Bridgestone RE010's (OEM 195/55/15). I liked the old BS RE730/750's, too.
phoenixR34
New ITRCA Member

Post by phoenixR34 »

I am using the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec, and they're *awesome*. I usually run track days on R-Compounds (Hoosier, Kumhos, Nittos etc) so I wasn't expecting much when I took my Type R on track with the Dunlops.. BUT, I was shocked at how great they were. Excellent grip and they didn't fall off in the heat. Last weekend it was ~105deg at the track day with surface temps in the 140deg range. Tire Rack has them on special right now as well and you get a free iPod Shuffle if you buy a set. No, they're not Nitto NT01s by any means, but I've driven a lot of street tires and the Dunlops kick ass. I am using P195/55R15 size.
Jon D
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Jon D »

Holy sh!t.... GK posted on ITRCA.
ITR #98-804
get RIGHT
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by get RIGHT »

phoenixR34 wrote:I am using the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec, and they're *awesome*. I usually run track days on R-Compounds (Hoosier, Kumhos, Nittos etc) so I wasn't expecting much when I took my Type R on track with the Dunlops.. BUT, I was shocked at how great they were. Excellent grip and they didn't fall off in the heat. Last weekend it was ~105deg at the track day with surface temps in the 140deg range. Tire Rack has them on special right now as well and you get a free iPod Shuffle if you buy a set. No, they're not Nitto NT01s by any means, but I've driven a lot of street tires and the Dunlops kick ass. I am using P195/55R15 size.
I have been hearing great things about this tire. This post just further backs that up.