Nitrous

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
R-Type
New ITRCA Member

Nitrous

Post by R-Type »

Has anyone on here every sprayed there stock R before? My friend wants to do it to his but idk if its safe or not. Any help?
JEFFD
New ITRCA Member

Re: Nitrous

Post by JEFFD »

Don't do it i had my good friend do it to his also with a low shot even on a zex system and had to replace his head after 10 runs down the track type r just has to much compression for it w/o putting in some low compression pistions. But if he dose do it anyway make shure he checks his plugs all the time for detation and get a air to fuel gauge to watch how your car is running while spraying.just be carful would hate to see another type r go down :D
You haven't driven a type r till you drove one with over 300hp!
JEFFD
New ITRCA Member

Post by JEFFD »

And also As a rule of thumb, you use 1 step colder plugs to keep the detationation down. I would tell him to us iridum ix plugs little more expensive but well worth it if you want to spray nos on a r.
Dave_B

Post by Dave_B »

Jeff, please explain how the ITR has to much compression for No2?

What I think the issue here is... the car needs to be TUNED for NOS. Stock ITR's can take it, albeit not a huge, 200 shot. A 50 shot on a properly tuned, stock ITR wouldn't cause much damage. It's all in the tuning.
http://www.picperformance.com

PIC Performance and Amsoil authorized distributor.
JEFFD
New ITRCA Member

Post by JEFFD »

compression on a type r is very high and rule of thumb is higher the compression bigger chance of problems with FI trust me i had first hand in testing the waters on a r with nos after 10 runs down the track on a zex 55 shot it blew the head gasket and they fixed that and ran it for a month once a week and it through a rod and this was with a friends r and he is a honda tech and he did everything you want to do to run nos ie colder plug equal spray in each cylinder and look for deatination make sure you are not running lean ect. Im no honda master tech but i ran an 99 prelude with nos for 5 years and you learn things about nos on the way and a type r is just not made for FI it is a NA motor its just everything is just more fun with FI and to beat that v8 sometimes FI is the way to go on a 4cly car.
JEFFD
New ITRCA Member

Post by JEFFD »

But after all this i still would not recommed it on a type r keep it n/a or maybe a supercharger with low boost. :mrgreen:
R-Type
New ITRCA Member

Post by R-Type »

Haha ok great thanks guys!!! ill make sure i tell him not to do it!!! :D
Dave_B

Post by Dave_B »

JEFFD wrote:compression on a type r is very high and rule of thumb is higher the compression bigger chance of problems with FI trust me i had first hand in testing the waters on a r with nos after 10 runs down the track on a zex 55 shot it blew the head gasket and they fixed that and ran it for a month once a week and it through a rod and this was with a friends r and he is a honda tech and he did everything you want to do to run nos ie colder plug equal spray in each cylinder and look for deatination make sure you are not running lean ect. Im no honda master tech but i ran an 99 prelude with nos for 5 years and you learn things about nos on the way and a type r is just not made for FI it is a NA motor its just everything is just more fun with FI and to beat that v8 sometimes FI is the way to go on a 4cly car.
Then why do NHRA guys do it with 12.5 CR+ in their cars? It has NOTHING to do with Compression, but rather if the car is setup for No2. And he's not talking FI either, that would be a supercharger or turbo charger. Nitrous Oxide by itself isn't even flamable, however when mixed with petrolieum (sp) it makes that "fire" that much hotter and "explosive" thus giving you the "boost" in WHP.

Would I personally run it on a stock ITR? Nope... not designed around it, but again has NOTHING to do with the stock CR on an ITR. You need extra fuel to run No2, and the stock system just isn't going to do that.

FI is the way to go is a stated opinion. Personally, I'm an NA guy. To me, until you really start pushing the envelope, it's much more reliable. Dont' have the heat issues. Tunes aren't as drastically affected by climate and elevation changes. While almost the only way to drag race and win against a V8 muscle car is to boost your 4 banger... on a road course it's not the same at all.
http://www.picperformance.com

PIC Performance and Amsoil authorized distributor.
PrinceAli132
ITRCA Member

Post by PrinceAli132 »

Introduce them to Jared :P

Ali
nessb18c5
ITRCA Member

Post by nessb18c5 »

I don't know about blowing motors with nitrous. My personal experience with nitrous on my R was fine she had 130K miles stock motor stock ecu ran her twice every friday tnt night allmotor/n2o for 2 seasons. ZEX 55-65 shot(75shot once with no traction went back to 55shot) NO spray in 1st gear nitrous engage from 2nd-4th gear from 5500-8000 rpm with ZEX activation window switch. TOO MUCH LOAD+N20 = KABOOM learn it before you run it thats with any power mod. 55shot 13.4@105 on Exalto PE2 was nice but 13.7@100 on Exalto PE2 allmotor felt much much more of a accomplishment.

55-65 SHOT NITROUS ON MY STOCK MOTOR:
91 octane+octane booster or 94 octane
colder plugs
retard timing
no heavy load engagment
no hitting rev limiter
no cannonball runs
no chasing 600rr or any other
WOT only
follow manufactured guide
255lph intank fuel pump

Just finish season 3 of racing but now running just allmotor still on factory ecu, head and block. Maybe shes a mutant R! Correct me if i'm wrong somewhere guys.
BoostR41
ITRCA Member

Post by BoostR41 »

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!! Nitrous is NOT forced induction. Does spray create boost? NO!!!!!!!!!

Higher compression LOVES the bottle. as others said tune the car for the bottle.

like was stated above Nitrous does 2 things.

1. cools the charge when runnin a dry set up
2. adds oxygen to the mixture when the nitrogen oxygen bond is broken.

JRSC has never proven itself on a ITR IMO. the low boost kit will barely crack 200whp if that and you still need fuel management with it. high boost adds some power but being you cant really intercool a JRSC on a budget you are playing with fire.

honestly when I had my greddy kit I ran it on a FMU with 450cc injectors with inline pro headgasket for 2 years and went 12s on radials with great response. when I went hondata it went 12.2@117mph on radials and made 300whp on 17psi on the same stock bottom end with that head gasket. IMO best bang for the buck and you can keep ac and ps
#98-0041 SOLD
556whp 399wtq
11.77@130mph full interior 23psi on M&H dot tires

11.010@130mph on slicks 25psi
best MPH- 132mph