engine swap Question JDM

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
integ3
New ITRCA Member

engine swap Question JDM

Post by integ3 »

I would like to know how long and hard it is to do an engine swap. Also keep in mind the person who is asking never did this before. And i was wondering if you know where i can buy a book so i can read to learn how to do it. Or a website. Also are jdm engines street legal

Thanks
Champ R
ITRCA Member

Re: engine swap Question JDM

Post by Champ R »

Oh dear :?
CW 98 #805
Reid
ITRCA Member

Post by Reid »

integ3 wrote:I would like to know how long and hard it is to do an engine swap. Also keep in mind the person who is asking never did this before.
I am a firm believer that everyone has the ability to work on cars. It is not a difficult task and all work can be accomplished by following the directions in the manual. After a bit of practice, it will become second nature and the manual will only be used as a reference for torque specs. As your sickness grows, you will find that you have memorized many of the torque specs.
integ3 wrote:And i was wondering if you know where i can buy a book so i can read to learn how to do it. Or a website.
The easiest way to learn is through experience. Wrenching is not something that is not difficult and it is best to learn from doing, not reading. If you do not have a friend with a lot of experience, I would advise you to work on your car by yourself with your manual. Follow the manual's directions and you will be find.

I mention the friend with a "lot of experience", because often times inexperienced people may think they know what they are doing when they do not. Furthermore they may act like they know what they are doing to put you at ease. This can be dangerous and can result in big problems. It is far easier to work alone if you are not 100% certain that your helper knows what he or she is doing.
integ3 wrote:Also are jdm engines street legal
Check your local laws.
integ3
New ITRCA Member

Post by integ3 »

what does he mean by manual
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

integ3 wrote:what does he mean by manual
The service manual, available at http://www.helminc.com/

They supply the factory service manual's for Acura and are pretty accurate.
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
YellowDragon279
ITRCA Member

Post by YellowDragon279 »

Good Response but I want to add one thing. If you are not mechanically inclined then don't attempt anything. Tweaking a car can be as easy as building a RC Gas car. I think if you can do this then you can be safe to work on a real car.
The Only Easy Day was Yesterday
Reid
ITRCA Member

Post by Reid »

Zodiac R279 wrote:Good Response but I want to add one thing. If you are not mechanically inclined then don't attempt anything. Tweaking a car can be as easy as building a RC Gas car. I think if you can do this then you can be safe to work on a real car.
If you are not mechanically inclined, do not think it is difficult to learn how to become mechanically inclined.

If you cannot follow instructions, then do not work on your car.

Other than that, just follow the directions and have faith.

*I am not responsible if you break something.*:P