best security mods

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
davidzlol
New ITRCA Member

best security mods

Post by davidzlol »

i just got my itr. i need suggestions on alarms or other things to prevent thiefs from stealing it.

so far im going to disable all the toggle switches inside to unlock the car so i can you cant just hanger them. im going to pick up a nrg quick release also

what have you guys done and what do you guys suggest on doing to prevent your itr's from being stolen?
94 supra tt
00 itr
itrsteez
Half way to a cool title.

Re: best security mods

Post by itrsteez »

Garage.
WTB: Gunmetal USDM ITR Wheels
itr #1334
ITRCA Member

Post by itr #1334 »

I lack in that area. Just a quick release is worthless. Get layered security. first off don't show it off and watch for followers. Like Steve said though a garage is the best. Are you dd it?
davidzlol
New ITRCA Member

Post by davidzlol »

itr #1334 wrote:I lack in that area. Just a quick release is worthless. Get layered security. first off don't show it off and watch for followers. Like Steve said though a garage is the best. Are you dd it?
it's a second car to me but i was planning on dding it. my area is pretty nice but im more worried when im at work or things such as that.
94 supra tt
00 itr
itrsteez

Post by itrsteez »

You're going to leave it parked outside while you're at work in southern california? Might as well just leave the keys in it.
walteR
New ITRCA Member

Post by walteR »

wheel boot
davidzlol
New ITRCA Member

Post by davidzlol »

itrsteez wrote:You're going to leave it parked outside while you're at work in southern california? Might as well just leave the keys in it.
So you're telling me no ITR's in socal are daily driven? ;[
94 supra tt
00 itr
itr #1334
ITRCA Member

Post by itr #1334 »

^^^truth. Are you the one with a supra as well?
itr #1334
ITRCA Member

Post by itr #1334 »

Nvm reading owned me. I'm sure a few are. Depends where you work. But just normal dd to malls and shopping no way. It be gone.
davidzlol
New ITRCA Member

Post by davidzlol »

yeah I have a supra as well
94 supra tt
00 itr
coolhandluke
401R

Post by coolhandluke »

davidzlol wrote:i just got my itr. i need suggestions on alarms or other things to prevent thiefs from stealing it.

so far im going to disable all the toggle switches inside to unlock the car so i can you cant just hanger them. im going to pick up a nrg quick release also

what have you guys done and what do you guys suggest on doing to prevent your itr's from being stolen?

Best way to disable the door/unlock switch with the car off

1.) Alarm - Please keep in mind that the alarm install is the most important factor. 95% of alarm installs actually make the car easier to steal. Best Buy, Circuit City, etc, don't cut it hear. An effective (aka stealth) alarm install doesn't fit a successful business model. Any DEI product is good (Clifford, Hornet, Python,)

2.) Layers - This is the mindset you must have when protecting your car. No single security mod will save your car. Working together, layers increase the time, energy, and effort it would take to steal your car. This includes, but is not limited to, alarm, kill switches, wheel boots, and much more.

3.) A garage is a huge factor. Out of site, out of mind. Will this be your daily driver? Where do you park during the day? Malls, movie theaters, etc, are a big no-no for most areas.
Last edited by coolhandluke on August 28th, 2010, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WTB: ODB1 VTEC Distributor!!!!!!!!!!!

2011 ITR Expo Calendar
http://www.itrca.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12472
itrsteez

Post by itrsteez »

Best way to disable the door/unlock switch with the car off
Just disconnect the switch and use your keys, at bare minimum it'll ensure you never lock your keys in your car.
davidzlol
New ITRCA Member

Post by davidzlol »

I will not drive it malls or places I will be in for a while besides maybe work. I got this car intending for it to be a commuter car between my supra and integra. also I wanted a car so when my supra goes into the shop for engine work etc I would have a car to drive.
94 supra tt
00 itr
turbohf
ITRCA Member

Post by turbohf »

i park at the mall... but i also dont wonder around for hours, usually in and out on a mission lol.

i spent many, many hours. both research and labor securing my R. i drive it everywhere. but if its going to be left out of my sight/hearing for more than my comfort time, it stays home (very rarely, movies usually).

i PMed you some points of interest. but really its been said here.

i have put like 5k on my R in the last 4 months... ZERO on the beater.
1997 Integra Type R #00095 ~ Daily Driver :)
davidzlol
New ITRCA Member

Post by davidzlol »

thanks for your insight I really appreciate it. I do have to wonder what it's like in WA vs CA :(
Last edited by davidzlol on August 28th, 2010, 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
94 supra tt
00 itr
keymaster
New ITRCA Member

Post by keymaster »

Consider a ravelco as another layer of deterence. A bit pricey but worth the piece of mind. If you can find a someone to install it, you can get one on ebay cheap instead of buying it directly from ravelco. GL
coolhandluke
401R

Post by coolhandluke »

keymaster wrote:Consider a ravelco as another layer of deterence. A bit pricey but worth the piece of mind. If you can find a someone to install it, you can get one on ebay cheap instead of buying it directly from ravelco. GL
No offense, but the Ravelco is a glorified fuel kill switch. As with any kill switch and alarm, it all comes down to how effective the installation is. I wouldn't waste my money on purchasing the Ravelco.

2011 ITR Expo Calendar
turbohf
ITRCA Member

Post by turbohf »

davidzlol wrote:thanks for your insight I really appreciate it. I do have to wonder what it's like in WA vs CA :(
theft had been pretty bad here over the years. LOTS of ITRs have been stolen, and all of the other hondas.
1997 Integra Type R #00095 ~ Daily Driver :)
itrsteez

Post by itrsteez »

If you're going to take it to work then at least have an alarm like a Viper 5901 that has a 1 mile paging radius to your keypad. Make sure to add on the motion sensors, tilt sensor and break sensor and to never be any more than a mile away from it.

I still wouldn't DD it in CA though, it's a craigslist goldmine for some scumbag.
davidzlol
New ITRCA Member

Post by davidzlol »

itrsteez wrote:If you're going to take it to work then at least have an alarm like a Viper 5901 that has a 1 mile paging radius to your keypad. Make sure to add on the motion sensors, tilt sensor and break sensor and to never be any more than a mile away from it.

I still wouldn't DD it in CA though, it's a craigslist goldmine for some scumbag.
since kbb doesn't have an actual private party bb for it will it just go for retail price if the itr does happen to get stolen?
94 supra tt
00 itr
itrsteez

Post by itrsteez »

davidzlol wrote:
itrsteez wrote:If you're going to take it to work then at least have an alarm like a Viper 5901 that has a 1 mile paging radius to your keypad. Make sure to add on the motion sensors, tilt sensor and break sensor and to never be any more than a mile away from it.

since kbb doesn't have an actual private party bb for it will it just go for retail price if the itr does happen to get stolen?
No you get f'd by the insurance company and have to fight them to get any decent price out of one.
keymaster
New ITRCA Member

Post by keymaster »

coolhandluke wrote:
keymaster wrote:Consider a ravelco as another layer of deterence. A bit pricey but worth the piece of mind. If you can find a someone to install it, you can get one on ebay cheap instead of buying it directly from ravelco. GL
No offense, but the Ravelco is a glorified fuel kill switch. As with any kill switch and alarm, it all comes down to how effective the installation is. I wouldn't waste my money on purchasing the Ravelco.

That's what I thought, but it's more than just a fuel kill switch. I know because I had one installed in my gsr two years ago.
coolhandluke
401R

Post by coolhandluke »

keymaster wrote: That's what I thought, but it's more than just a fuel kill switch. I know because I had one installed in my gsr two years ago.
It's still just a kill switch. It works by disabling the fuel pump/etc. How effective the Ravelco is solely depends on the installation, just like any other kill switch. It does have the benefit of the key fob but it has a huge disadvantage in placement. Most of these "certified" installations have the unit installed in plane site. Just like any other security layer, it all boils down to how effective the installation is. I'm not preaching that this is a bad product, but I think the money can be better spent elsewhere. (Ravelco unit price: $469)

2011 ITR Expo Calendar
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

coolhandluke wrote:
keymaster wrote: That's what I thought, but it's more than just a fuel kill switch. I know because I had one installed in my gsr two years ago.
It's still just a kill switch. It works by disabling the fuel pump/etc. How effective the Ravelco is solely depends on the installation, just like any other kill switch. It does have the benefit of the key fob but it has a huge disadvantage in placement. Most of these "certified" installations have the unit installed in plane site. Just like any other security layer, it all boils down to how effective the installation is. I'm not preaching that this is a bad product, but I think the money can be better spent elsewhere. (Ravelco unit price: $469)
Correct.

They brag about the black wires, etc but everyone know where to check wiring on hondas (those stealing them I mean). A normal installer doesn't actually care if your car gets stolen and is going to do the job in a way that's easy for them to get the job finished and get another job in to make more money. Black wires or not, if you can easily trace what known wire it's going to you can *easily* remove the unit. It's not going to stop, or drastically slow down any experience thief.

Security in layers, with hidden/hard to reach installations is the only way to go.

Personally I drive my car fairly often for a few weeks, then it sits for weeks, then I'll miss it and drive it for a few weeks again, etc. When I do drive it, I drive it anywhere without a great deal of concern (insurance is there for a reason, yes it would suck to have the car stolen, but I refuse to let the risk run my life). On the other hand, I hate the mall, so I try to never go to the mall anyways. The ITR has been at the mall before though for a few hours without incident. Usually I'll take another car anyways just in case though.
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
davidzlol
New ITRCA Member

Post by davidzlol »

thanks!
94 supra tt
00 itr