increase torque...

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
mayhem
New ITRCA Member

increase torque...

Post by mayhem »

What is a safe way to increase torque besides forced induction?I'm completely stock
sscguy
ITRCA Member

Re: increase torque...

Post by sscguy »

Bore your engine out to 2.0 liters or...don't drive a Honda... heh heh. Realistically, i/h/e, cams but you'll need to tune them properly, and if you go that far, maybe Hondata or VAFC. Someone else, I don't know if P&P headwork will increase torque, I thought that was more for high-end hp.
A bunch of days left 'till Expo '05!
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

mayhem wrote:What is a safe way to increase torque besides forced induction?I'm completely stock
\

most mods will increased tq. You can't increase HP without an increase in torque (at x rpm).

How much torque do you want? top end? low end? midrange? across the board? etc?
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
George Knighton
ITRCA Member

Post by George Knighton »

mayhem wrote:What is a safe way to increase torque besides forced induction?I'm completely stock
What is it that you're trying to accomplish? What would you like the car to do that it's not doing now?

If you want a little, cheap (free) boost, just make sure your initial spark advance is set to maximum within spec (18 degrees). This will give you a slight but definitely perceivable boost across the power band.

That's the only free thing I can think of, but if you tell us more about what activities you're participating in that you want this torque, that would help us advise you.
typeruz
New ITRCA Member

Post by typeruz »

how can i set the initial spark advance???

do i need any special tools?

thanks!
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Jan Niemi »

Yeah, that's tough without stroking the motor, or boost. Torque is all about leverage, and with a short stroke like our Hondas have it's tough to do, that's why we make it up in the upper end with crazy revs. If you really want torque drop in a V8.
http://speedindustry.biz
for all of your tuning, parts, fabrication and other service needs.
mayhem
New ITRCA Member

Post by mayhem »

Basically, i just want to get out of the hole faster,im not doing any track or autox atm.Low end is what im looking for
YellowDragon279
ITRCA Member

Post by YellowDragon279 »

Well there are some things you can do to to add a little torque. Honda used a stiffer valve train and lighter valves on the intake side in their 98 spec R's Vs the 96 spec.There was an increase of .5Kgm (about 4 foot pounds) in the 98 Spec over the 96 Spec. Not only that the 98 SPec was 19kgm(137 ft-lbs)@6200 while the 96 spec was 18.5kgm(133ft-lbs)@7500
So this along with the ECu added a bit more Torque and moved it lower.

No if you want to keep the torque on the low end you might want to kgo with a 4-2-1 Vs 4-1. Go with an exhaust no bigger than 2.25" Mugen Twin Loop is suppoesed to be goo to maintain torque as well, but I don't know that First hand
The Only Easy Day was Yesterday
JiggyKooAndy
New ITRCA Member

Post by JiggyKooAndy »

your never gonna even compare to an 8 cyl out of the hole and what not...hondas are known for their top end...hence vtec. What do u need to get out of the hole better for? If it's for racing...you should be launching at 5000-5500 anyway...so that's right before peak torque and right before vtec engages.
CanadianR
New ITRCA Member

Post by CanadianR »

No offense meant, but if you want a car with low end tourque you shouldn't have gotten a Type R, or a honda for that matter. But yeah, any bolt on will increase tourque in order to increase hp.
TypeR 801
ITRCA Member

Post by TypeR 801 »

They also used a different header which contributed to most of the difference, not the valve springs. The 96 spec header was similar to the USDM setup (note same torque peak rpm). The 98 spec flowed considerably better and peak torque dropped. Much like when we install the JDM 4-1 on our USDM cars. Torque peak drops and we pick up a bunch throughout the powerband.
Zodiac R279 wrote:Well there are some things you can do to to add a little torque. Honda used a stiffer valve train and lighter valves on the intake side in their 98 spec R's Vs the 96 spec.There was an increase of .5Kgm (about 4 foot pounds) in the 98 Spec over the 96 Spec. Not only that the 98 SPec was 19kgm(137 ft-lbs)@6200 while the 96 spec was 18.5kgm(133ft-lbs)@7500
So this along with the ECu added a bit more Torque and moved it lower.

No if you want to keep the torque on the low end you might want to kgo with a 4-2-1 Vs 4-1. Go with an exhaust no bigger than 2.25" Mugen Twin Loop is suppoesed to be goo to maintain torque as well, but I don't know that First hand
Jeff Brown
98 ITR #801
kabob
ITRCA Member

Post by kabob »

Not mentioned in this thread, but important to know:

TORQUE IS RELATIVE TO DISPLACEMENT

The only way to gain significant torque gains is by increasing displacement. Increasing the bore and stroke (as mentioned above) or forced induction is the way to go. You'll not gain much torque (mainly just horsepower) by bolt-ons or bumping compression with high-comp pistons and adjusting timing with cams.

EDIT: Some incorrect BS that I needed to set straight :oops:
Last edited by kabob on June 25th, 2003, 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sscguy
ITRCA Member

Post by sscguy »

kabob wrote:Not mentioned in this thread, but important to know:

TORQUE IS RELATIVE TO DISPLACEMENT

The only way to gain significant torque gains is by increasing displacement. Increasing the bore and stroke (as mentioned above) or forced induction is the way to go. You'll not gain much torque (mainly just horsepower) by bolt-ons or bumping compression with cams.
As before, what he said.
A bunch of days left 'till Expo '05!