which cold air intake to get :roll: ?

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
chiggaz
New ITRCA Member

which cold air intake to get :roll: ?

Post by chiggaz »

I am planning to get a cold air for my R,i'd juz like to hear all ITR owners' opinions and experiences to see which one i should get,thanks!!!
ITR is the king of FF!!!
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

I prefer the Comptech Icebox. Works well, Makes good power on my car as well as GK's car.

Stock is pretty good. That said I woudl buy a header before I buy an Intake for a Type-R.

Trey
opie
ITRCA Member

Post by opie »

I just installed my AEM CAI.. needless to say I used a half a tank of gas last night and only clocked 40 miles...
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

OPIE112 wrote:I just installed my AEM CAI.. needless to say I used a half a tank of gas last night and only clocked 40 miles...
That definitely isn't normal. CAI shoudl not use noticably more gas.
Blazin ITR
New ITRCA Member

Post by Blazin ITR »

Trey wrote:
OPIE112 wrote:I just installed my AEM CAI.. needless to say I used a half a tank of gas last night and only clocked 40 miles...
MUGEN
:twisted:
Chris N
Site Admin

Post by Chris N »

Mugen. It IS the best one out there. I've owned them all except the comptech. Find a used one, they are too expensive when new.
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

Chris I know it can be done but to what difficulty is it to get a Mugen to work with AC? That and cost are the 2 things stopping me.
Blazin ITR
New ITRCA Member

Post by Blazin ITR »

Trey wrote:Chris I know it can be done but to what difficulty is it to get a Mugen to work with AC? That and cost are the 2 things stopping me.
Search on Honda-Tech! A lot of people with the Mugen intake still have they're A/C lines. They just bend them out of the way and it's not that hard to do as well.
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

Blazin ITR wrote:
Trey wrote:Chris I know it can be done but to what difficulty is it to get a Mugen to work with AC? That and cost are the 2 things stopping me.
Search on Honda-Tech! A lot of people with the Mugen intake still have they're A/C lines. They just bend them out of the way and it's not that hard to do as well.
I am familiar with the fact it is done as I mentioned. I knwo of about 3 people (not lots) on HT that have done it. Wes, Chris are the first 2 to come to mind. My understanding it that it is a little more than just bending them out of the way and fairly laborious.
Chris N
Site Admin

Post by Chris N »

Really, it isn't that bad Trey.

It involved removing all the wiring harness/clips in the area, the radiator overflow, moving the radiator fan over, then zip tie-ing the two main a/c lines: one towards the block, and one towards the ABS unit. We also had to take off two out of three tranny mount bolts. It was tough, it took about 1.5 hours. But it fits perfectly, and with some double sided tape or small piece of fabric at the two points where rubbing could occur, there is no chance of it getting damaged in any way =)

Also, Kelly Kim did the mugen intake. (kkim on h-t) One small ac line was bent, it is the line that goes directly next to the radiator overflow. The large a/c lines where ziptied in either direction.... once the intake was in place, the lines had nowhere to go. They don't rub on the intake either. Oh, and the a/c still works great, like new.
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

good info chris. Now I need to find the money tree.
jetydosa
suite 200

Re: which cold air intake to get :roll: ?

Post by jetydosa »

I really like the OEM look and relative quietness of the Icebox.

However, if someone out there would like to trade their Mugen (ChrisN?) for my Icebox, Id be more than happy to do it!
Do not blow compressed air into your mouth or ears.
chiggaz
New ITRCA Member

Post by chiggaz »

hi!there:
Thanks for y'all opinions and i am juz curious why most of u don't like cold-air system,is da cuz it's harder to clean the filter or ice box really does better job?
i was waiting for aem v2 for type R to come out,but the site amin. there has juz told me da R doesn't make sufficient power with v2 so there will be no v2 for type r................
ITR is the king of FF!!!
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

That is correct, no AEM V2 for the R.

The Icebox IS a Cold air system, it is just that the filer is in a boz instead of on the end of the piping. I honestly prefer it cause it makes the same power as the AEM and is a LOT quieter and looks nicer.
kabob
ITRCA Member

Post by kabob »

I'm installing a complete Comptech intake system w/ the Icebox today... $361 shipped from modacar.com :oops: But hey, it was cheaper than the JRSC I was considering a few weeks ago :P

I'll take pics and let you know how install goes and some driving impressions, if you'd like.
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

you can do it cheaper if you don't use the comptech short ram piece.

I run a stock intake tube.
kabob
ITRCA Member

Post by kabob »

I thought about it, but as soon as I saw the shiny chrome with the red Comptech Sport plaque on the short ram, I immediately fell in love! And like a woman, that whore cost me $189 for that love :evil:
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

good deal :)
opie
ITRCA Member

Post by opie »

Trey wrote:

A CAI will use more gas when all you wanna do is hear your car in VTEC...you guys mis-understood me, sorry.

mmmmmmbaaaaaaaaaaaabaaaaaaaaaa, see what i mean can't stop makin that noise.
typeruz
New ITRCA Member

Post by typeruz »

you can buy my AEM CAI. only 500 miles of use. perfect condition. great sound and great power.
selling for $150 plus shipping.
email me if interested.

rayanar@nova.edu
chiggaz
New ITRCA Member

Post by chiggaz »

hi!Typeruz:
why do u wanna change your AEM cai?u are not satified with it?

by the way,my buddy is a performance parts dealer,i have to buy from him.........sorry,but thanks for ur offer anywaz!!!
ITR is the king of FF!!!
chiggaz
New ITRCA Member

Post by chiggaz »

hi!kabob:
what's the JRSC?
juz let me how u like ur new system after u get it installed,thx!!!
ITR is the king of FF!!!
chiggaz
New ITRCA Member

Post by chiggaz »

i juz read comptech reviews and most users were pretty satisfied with its quality but felt it's too quiet.....is it even quieter than stock intake?

and some people had problem with their aem cai,water got into their engines even with bypass properly installed,it's horrible...anybody here had the same problem b4?
ITR is the king of FF!!!
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

Comptech is not quieter than stock and I could use mine to be quieter. I didn't buy it to make noise I bought it to make power. Same with an Exhaust. I don't want noise volume at all.
B2FiNiTY
ITRCA Member

Post by B2FiNiTY »

Quieter than stock? I don't think anything is quieter than stock.

The comptech definately is quiet though. It doesn't boom on WOT or anything like that.