ITR or RSX type-s?

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
wakefreak138
New ITRCA Member

ITR or RSX type-s?

Post by wakefreak138 »

I am going to be buying a car in the next month or so. I think I am set on getting a 2000 ITR, but I wanted to find out how it compares to an RSX type-s. I have done a lot of research, but I wanted to find out what others think.
Airbag
New ITRCA Member

Post by Airbag »

Type r has a higher rpm range but the rsx has 6 speeds. It all depends on what you like in a car. They are similar but also different, so...
wakefreak138
New ITRCA Member

Post by wakefreak138 »

does anyone know if there is much difference between the vtec and the i-vtec? which is better for mods? :?

i have seen a lot of people debating to which car is faster as far as 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. any thoughts?
tom ngo
New ITRCA Member

Post by tom ngo »

The R outperforms the rsx type S in every category performance wise! But mods on the Type S yeilds alot of HP!
xanctus
New ITRCA Member

Post by xanctus »

Please consider about the theft activity that is so bad for the R. Not saying do not get it, but just for your own judgement. :wink:
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

rsx or itr

Post by Jan Niemi »

I own an ITR and love it. Just for kicks I went and test drove the type s and was very disappointed in the performance. The ITR is a purpose built machine designed for a customer who is looking for pure performance. The type s is a watered down car that appeases the masses. If you have a lot of patience, wait for the RSX type R. Besides, for the money, buy the ITR and spend the left overs on mods.
http://speedindustry.biz
for all of your tuning, parts, fabrication and other service needs.
paul98itr
ITRCA Member

Post by paul98itr »

The rsx-s is in performance category of gsr.
Sold 98 ITR #0195
Now own slow 4L 99 Jeep Grand Cheerokee Ltd.
Will have another ITR (if some one will buy my Jeep)
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

rsx or itr

Post by Jan Niemi »

I would actually rather have the GSR, the DC2 is such a pretty car and has so much aftermarket support. The RSX is like it's ugly sister who doesn't put out.
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

Well, for starters, in order to do any serious tunning on that car, you need to remove the i-vtec, or atleast, assuming you plan on using Toda cams, who is currently the only big name making cams for that car. Not to mention the retainers are pressed onto the valves, so they're unussualy likely to break at higher rpms.

One upside, or actually a couple, first, the motor is facing the right direction, and the intake is in the front, so it stays cooler, it also has a six speed, even though the six speed is really watered down, and it also has auto a/c, not that mine ever goes off max in south FL, but it's still pretty kool any way.

Other down sides, it's a watered down version of the GS-R, it handles only so-so, and although stock may be pretty quick, doesn't feel very fast. It's very bulky and heavy.

The integra is more of a driver's car, it's a race car in street trip. The RSX-S really feels like a grocery getter, pretty much no matter what you do....

Later,
Aj
joe s
ITRCA Member

Post by joe s »

When the RSX-S came out and the automotive press was drooling all over it, touting performance numbers equal to the Type R but with a more 'user friendly', higher quality interior, etc, I knew I'd have to at least check the thing out. Whether you like how the exterior looks is subjective of course, but to me it looks more generic 'Japanese' than the previous version. I personally don't care for it as much. The interior IS nice, I must admit. It's to a higher general level of refinement ie quality of plastics, switchgear feel, general tones and shades, etc., not to mention the nice leather seats and the handsome steering wheel.
However, one drive convinced me that beauty is only skin deep. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice car. It's fairly quick, tight, and has that good Honda quality feeling. It is NOT, however, a Type R. Driving a R gives the driver a feeling of one-ness with the car. The handling is intuitive. The car does what you want it to do and does it because of it's exceptional handling characteristics. It just FEELS right. The best way I, as a non-professional driver, can describe the difference of feel between the 2 cars is that the type S feels that it's because of its good tires that it handles like it does, and the Type R does it because of its exceptional chassis, ie the whole package.
Not that the S is a dog; it's just not an R. You're in a no-lose position, really. You'll enjoy either car I'm sure.
SanjayR
New ITRCA Member

Post by SanjayR »

Very well put Joe s....thats what i'm sayin
TYPE R
MixMasterMike
New ITRCA Member

Post by MixMasterMike »

i think i kind of fit in the same category, i currently own a civic si, and i'm looking to buy either a type r or an rsx-s, but i'm swaying more and more towards the type r

i'm a moderator on clubrsx.com, so i'll get my bias out of the way...i have never owned an rsx, my best friend did however...i'm not going to lie, the rsx is an excellent car, but like everyone has said on here previous to me, the type r is built for one purpose only, a race car. the type s is more luxury, appealing to a different crowd, if you want leather, good sound, sun roof, etc... get the type s, same goes for the r, if you want something light, quick, and most importantly UNIQUE, go for the r, i'm starting to see rsx's on every corner...it's still nice to see an R every once in a while....plus the resale value will always be good on the type r....look at what a used 2002 rsx-s is going for now!!!

just my 2 cents...
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

The RSX-S is nice car, but as I said before it's no race car, and doesn't play the role well pretty much regardless the mods.....

Any way, either way, I agree, I'm sure you'll be happy regardless of choice, but the ITR is definitely more original.
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

rsx or itr

Post by Jan Niemi »

open diff, even if you up the power, you still have to hook it up.
joe s
ITRCA Member

Post by joe s »

Not so long-winded this time, I promise!
The Type R has an 'edge'; the S does not
itr98
New ITRCA Member

type R vs Rsx type S

Post by itr98 »

Hi guys i own a 98 type R with a Jrsc and other mods.I also have a 2002 rsx Type S (artic blue pearl) The Rsx is my daily driver.As you guys have stated the cars are very different and i like them both for what they are.I dont feel that the rsx has the performance that my R had before the mods.The rsx is a nice car to drive everyday.It is much quieter than the R..For obvious reasons...Kinda a nice car when your tired and had a long day.The stock tires flat out suck...I put toyo t1's tires on this car within the first 2 weeks i owned it difference is day and night.The rsx is still fun to drive.So i guess i am not really picking sides...But i would say as a thrill ride the R is the real deal. But for every day The rsx is great ( its an Acura) nuff said
ITR1140
New ITRCA Member

Post by ITR1140 »

My friend has a RSX-S, and I have an ITR. I have driven both, and they are quite different cars.
IMHO, RSX-S cant compare to the R in almost every aspect, well except for its interior quality. But then again, the R was built to be a race car, so u cant expect to find all the luxuries such as leather heated seats, A/C, in-dash 6 disc CD changer the RSX has...

Overall, the R is more fun to drive, better suspension, better handling, faster, lighter, more race car like.
I might be a little biased in my little review since i own an ITR :P , so i guess ur best bet is to go test drive both car and see which one you like the most.

P.S. I think the RSX-S is more like an Integra x Prelude.

Edit: typo
2000 Phoenix Yellow Integra Type R
Sick TR
New ITRCA Member

Post by Sick TR »

HEY MAN, THERE IS NO WAY TO COMPARE THE TYPE R TO THE RSX. YOU CAN DO IT WITH THE GS-R BUT I STILL GO FOR THE DC2. PLUS KEEP IN MIND THAT THIS IS ALL ABOUT RACING, PERFORMANCE. THE TYPE S A GROCERY GETTER. (LIKE THE OTHER PERSON SAYS).
thebusdriver
New ITRCA Member

Post by thebusdriver »

Type S too foo foo
WTypeRogerX
New ITRCA Member

Post by WTypeRogerX »

MixMasterMike wrote:plus the resale value will always be good on the type r....look at what a used 2002 rsx-s is going for now!!!
What is the current resale value on a 2002 RSX Type-S?

On my bone stock ITR with RE010s, full tank, spare tire, jack, and tools still in the back, I beat 2 STS RSX-Ss with 225 mm Azenis at the track. One of them even had a Hondata chip allowing him 9000 RPM fuel cut. I test drove an RSX-S, and lifted a rear tire on the street. I wasn't impressed with the suspension even for a street car. The R is very loud however, you might find that acceptable if you do a lot of highway driving.
opie
ITRCA Member

Post by opie »

Huh...?
98 CW ITR 322
Senior ITRCA Member

Re: ITR or RSX type-s?

Post by 98 CW ITR 322 »

Yeah, but this is like comparing apples to applesauce...one is hard, the other is flacid. :lol:

A real comparison would be of a DC5 (RSX) ITR and a JDM DC2 ITR. There was a world of difference 'tween my '97 GSR and my '98 ITR, as there would be comparing an RSX-S to a Honda Type R.

I loved the GSR's low end torque with the dual-runner manifold, I liked the sound deadening that made the interior quiet enough to talk on the cell' and made the doors go "THUNK". I liked the cruise cuntrol. I like that no punks tried to de-badge the GSR.

But, I swapped it for an 'R cuz of the lateral G's, the way the motor sounds (kinda like a Fomula 1 with a few pistons amputated)! The thing turns so well I'm only aware of thinking Left Turn and it goes... the brakes are better than on some Porsche's. I like the lack of sound deadening that ties you to every nuance in the road. I love the vastly superior fuel economy to a service loaner LS. The last is probably 'cuz I had more "foot" in the LS to make it try to go as fast as I normally drive in the R. :wink:
In 1998 I loved street racin' that guy at work one day in his new GT 'stang (after we both went thru breakin and oil change) and WHUPPED HIS FORD A**!
:oops: I'm sooo embarassed at doing this on the street, but the guy was... :o :shock:

I like the ZAPPP! static electricity painfully arcing from my nipple to the doorframe when I climb out of the 'R on a winter day, due no doubt to sliding across the high traction cloth on the seats. :twisted:
kabob
ITRCA Member

Post by kabob »

98 CW ITR 322 wrote: I like the ZAPPP! static electricity painfully arcing from my nipple to the doorframe :twisted:
On 2nd thought, I think I'll skip meeting you IRL, you sick fack :oops: :lol:
98 CW ITR 322
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by 98 CW ITR 322 »

kabob wrote:
98 CW ITR 322 wrote: I like the ZAPPP! static electricity painfully arcing from my nipple to the doorframe :twisted:
On 2nd thought, I think I'll skip meeting you IRL, you sick fack :oops: :lol:
Just jokin' kabob, I didn't really enjoy it a bit. It's just one of those quirky Type R things we all live with. Never got shocked getting out of my GSR.
With all its' compomises to comfort, I never for a second regret trading my GSR for the "R". As grandpa (Knighten) sez,"you either get it or you don't". I got it when I test drove the R in '98!
PUNKITR
New ITRCA Member

Post by PUNKITR »

I got rid of my 350 horsepower 97 Eclipse Spyder GST for my 2000 ITR. I miss the strait line acceleration my DSM had, but that is it. My ITR is hands down the best car I have ever owned. The handling is simply unreal, I love when someone gets behind me on a back road, the most recent was a guy in a newer looking Trans AM. He was on my bumper until the twisties, then it was "lift and break time for him, as I walked away". I can't imagine what he was thinking when he never saw break lights from me :lol: and we have some twisty roads here in PA. My ITR handles 10 times better than my 93 Prelude SI did, and that handled 5 times better than my DSM. Of course I have some Tein HA's and adjustable upper control arms helping me out but that's it. My car sticks like nothing I have ever driven, it is unreal. Like my ITR, yeah :lol: Love it, oh yeah :lol: I vote ITR because I love mine, and everyone with an RSX still breaks their neck when they see it.....

It is very loud though....but my exhaust setup doesn't help that much either :lol:
Thanks, Matt
2004 wrx