Drag Turbo Kit Install Question

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
otb2000itr
New ITRCA Member

Drag Turbo Kit Install Question

Post by otb2000itr »

Im looking to pick up a Drag turbo kit for my Type R, but I have heard that it requires some trimming of the block to fit the compressor housing. Anyone have any experience with Drag turbo kit installs that could confirm or dis-confirm this...any help or photos would be appreciated.
-----------------------
FBP 00 ITR #1117
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

block

Post by Jan Niemi »

It's not a big deal, you just take a die grinder with a cut off wheel and notch one of the gussets on the block, you will have to test fit the turbo/manifold assembly a few times until your notch is deep enough, I would recommend that you remove only as much material as is necessary. I might have a picture somewhere of mine, I'll dig for it.
http://speedindustry.biz
for all of your tuning, parts, fabrication and other service needs.
otb2000itr
New ITRCA Member

Post by otb2000itr »

Thank you much, a photo would probably be most helpful if you have one. Im guessing the area that needs trimming is directly to the right of the engine code correct? Thanks again...
-----------------------
FBP 00 ITR #1117
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

pic

Post by Jan Niemi »

I emailed you a pic, hope it helps.
otb2000itr
New ITRCA Member

Post by otb2000itr »

Yeah, i definately see what you are talking about. I actually never realized how big the t3/t4 really was, but looking at your picture it is quite big. Looking forward to boost...thanks much Jan. If I have any other questions I hope I can direct them to you...

Brandon
-----------------------
FBP 00 ITR #1117
itr_angela
New ITRCA Member

Post by itr_angela »

Hi, I've just bought a Drag 3 turbo kit myself for my 99 ITR... I'd be interested to hear how you get on with yours :) Don't think I'll have mine fitted till the new year tho, but I'm dreaming about it a lot...
anothaRRR
New ITRCA Member

Post by anothaRRR »

click here
Found this on honda-tech, very informative and lots of pictures.
00 PY ITR #0523 w/jdm front.
itr_angela
New ITRCA Member

Post by itr_angela »

Nice one, just what I needed :)

Has anyone with a boosted ITR had problems with their clutch? My car's done 50k miles on the standard clutch, is this gonna die pretty soon after the turbo's fitted? I'm gonna be running no more than 7psi.

Also the T03/04 turbo is much bigger than I'd imagined, is lag a problem with a turbo this size on an ITR?

Thanks
Angela
Erik B
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Erik B »

Lag on a T3/T4 is way over rated. On a FWD car why would anyone want full boost at anything under 3.5k rpm's anyway. I'm at full boost at 4krpms (10 psi) and break the tires lose till 3rd gear. When you race you won't drop under 6k rpms or so. (if you can drive anyway :lol: )
2000 Turbo Integra Type R - 508whp/362lbs tq @ 21psi
2003 Imola/Imola NSX-T
http://www.jdmwhoreinc.com
Erik B
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Erik B »

O yeah we also had to shave allot off the block to fit the compressor housing. I don't know if you can see it well but we took off almost the whole "5" from B18c5.

2003 Imola/Imola NSX-T
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

interesting

Post by Jan Niemi »

That's interesting looking at Erik's picture, we both use RevHard manifolds, my manifold puts the turbo on a slight angle, so I only had to grind the gusset, not the part with the engine stamping. Looking at Erik's pic, his turbo is straight, square to the block.
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Jan Niemi »

itr_angela wrote:Nice one, just what I needed :)

Has anyone with a boosted ITR had problems with their clutch? My car's done 50k miles on the standard clutch, is this gonna die pretty soon after the turbo's fitted? I'm gonna be running no more than 7psi.

Also the T03/04 turbo is much bigger than I'd imagined, is lag a problem with a turbo this size on an ITR?
Angela
My stock clutch started giving out after about 5K miles on boost. I'm surprised it lasted that long. I went with a CM stage 3 and have had it for about 2 years now with dozens of full out drag launches at the strip, there is no fade whatsoever.

Compared to a small turbo, the T3/T4 hybrid has huge lag, but you get used to it. I agree with Erik, you don't want instant boost with a front drive car, you will never get traction.
Last edited by Jan Niemi on December 4th, 2003, 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
otb2000itr
New ITRCA Member

Post by otb2000itr »

Erik,

I noticed that you took off your right fan on the radiator to fit the turbo manifold/ wastegate and dump tube...is this pretty common or was it a preference thing? I never notice my fans turning on anyway so I'm wondering if I take the other fan off will I have any cooling issues...am I the only one whose fans never turn on?? I do have a Mugen thermostat, so would that effect it??
-----------------------
FBP 00 ITR #1117
Erik B
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Erik B »

I had too. I have a smaller fan on the other side that we used in place of the big one. (While we are on the fan issue how much should I sell my stock fan for, I want to set a reserve on eBay for it...sorry to post jack) I was being a ass in Dallas one day trying to get rid of some gas to get the car into a show and I was running it kind of hard in the head. It did start to over heat on me but I think any cooling system would have over heated. I'm going to replace the whole radiator with a smaller more efficient one. (So I can get a intake filter without having a problem clearing the fan)
2003 Imola/Imola NSX-T
otb2000itr
New ITRCA Member

Post by otb2000itr »

Its hard to say how much for the fan...ive seen stock fans on ebay anywhere from $1.99 no reserve to over $100, so I guess it's how much youre willing to let it go for. Thanks for the info on the block shaving though, its been most informative.

Brandon
-----------------------
FBP 00 ITR #1117
itr_angela
New ITRCA Member

Post by itr_angela »

Erik B wrote:Lag on a T3/T4 is way over rated. On a FWD car why would anyone want full boost at anything under 3.5k rpm's anyway. I'm at full boost at 4krpms (10 psi) and break the tires lose till 3rd gear. When you race you won't drop under 6k rpms or so. (if you can drive anyway :lol: )

Thanks for the info. I try to keep it above 6k rpms when I'm racing anyway, just have to be pretty quick on that gear shift :) Do you still feel/hear the VTEC engage with a turbo by the way, or does it just scream all the way?

Jan - how would you rate the stage 3 clutch for general driveability? I need the car to be usable in traffic as well as on the open road/track.

Thanks
Angela
JDMDC2turbo
New ITRCA Member

Post by JDMDC2turbo »

Do you still feel/hear the VTEC engage with a turbo by the way, or does it just scream all the way? ----Author Message
itr_angela

Yeah, thats what I'm wondering. I dont feel my vtec engage anymore since I installed in my turbo. Anyone knotice anything?
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Jan Niemi »

JDMDC2turbo wrote:Do you still feel/hear the VTEC engage with a turbo by the way, or does it just scream all the way? ----Author Message
itr_angela

Yeah, thats what I'm wondering. I dont feel my vtec engage anymore since I installed in my turbo. Anyone knotice anything?
http://www.itrca.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2525

listen to some of my sound clips, you should be able to distinguish the transition to vtec, the recordings aren't that good, but when I'm in the car I can very clearly hear the induction note and exhaust note go extremely deep when the vtec switchover happens. The turbo definitely will quiet it down though