compression

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
acurar
New ITRCA Member

compression

Post by acurar »

hey i was wondering if you guys could tell me a little about what i should do. i have a greddy turbo kit off a gsr and im thinkin that compression is kinda high to run safely on my type r so i was thinkin i could just lower the compression maybe like to 9:1 would that make a difference and would i need to do anything else to lower the compression besides new pistons?
thanks any help would be aprectiated
shivers
Site Admin

Post by shivers »

Pistons are only the tip of the iceberg. You crack open the block and you're looking at replacing a lot of gaskets (head, oil pan, etc.) and bearings (rod, main, thrust washers, etc.). Depending on which piston, you may need to have the stock rods machined so the wrist pins fit. Aftermarket rods can be used, but at extra cost. Depending on the condition of the cylinder walls, you may need to have the walls honed or even bored out (in which case an over size piston would need to be used).

IMO putting a turbo on a non-forced induction car takes some time, planning, and money to do it right. There's more knowledgeable turbo guys on the board, so hopefully they'll chime in here.
2005 s2000
ITR41
ITRCA Member

Post by ITR41 »

get a inline pro head gasket and block gaurd and save money to build the entire motor
98 ITR
14.108@98mph all motor
greddy custom turbo set up from hybridynamics, 450cc injectors, cartech FMU, missing link, AFC, 255lph pump, inline pro head gasket and block gaurd, profec-b.
13.0@109mph-street tires, stock exhaust, stock internals, pump gas, ac, ps
http://www.hybridynamics.com
soon to be GE 83MM sleeved block ready for 25psi and 11's?
acurar
New ITRCA Member

Post by acurar »

thts what i am trying to do is build the entir motor im just trying to figure out the best way to do it.
Kangbateh
ITRCA Member

Post by Kangbateh »

Truthfully, in my opinion it's not really recommended that you turbocharge a NA car. You have to modify so much shit to ensure that the turbo will run correctly. One wrong move on timing or tunning etc. on a stock R could bring some really nasty engine problems for you car, trust me on that one I know from experience. I had a bad shop throw in my turbo and they messed up my car :shock: . The only thing I would say is if your going to do it do it right the first time, and cover all your bases so you can enjoy your creation. look to modify these parts of your car fuel and oil, cooling and ecu, exhaust igntion power, valvtrain if you modify these things that are in relation to the parts mention above, your vehicle will be more accepting of turbo and your car will run better. :twisted:

The better the parts, the easier you sleep.