What Should I Buy

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
New ITRCA Member

What Should I Buy

Post by 1337 »

Well, i was thinking of buying a type r, but then one of my friends friends is selling his 99 ls body integ w/ jdm type r motor in it for 12,000...it is farely stock besids a AEM cai and toda spec b cam gears and it has only 30000 miles on the engine and 45000 on the chasi...does this sound like a good buy or should i jus save up sum more and buy a real usdm type-r...
Last edited by 1337 on March 1st, 2004, 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
ITR640
ITRCA Member

Post by ITR640 »

That car sounds pretty cool. But nothing is better than the real R. Plus the real R's have 5 lugs.
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

The question is...

What do you want to do with the car?
swed
New ITRCA Member

Post by 1337 »

well eventually i want to go to the expos and auto x, but i would buy sum good suspension either way
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

If your going to buy a good condition R, you won't have to change a thing for a while...

Just enjoy the car stock, many people including myself have and will continue to.
swed
opie
ITRCA Member

Post by opie »

bbasso wrote:Just enjoy the car stock, many people including myself have and will continue to.
I do, not by choice though :|
kptrulee
New ITRCA Member

Post by kptrulee »

the ls seems like a good buy, stock the 99 ls is worth probably around 9-10k or so, and the motor itself he probably shelled out around $4000-5000 depending on the year and mileage on motor
but i would personally get the usdm R, the stock suspension on the R is great, u will definitely feel a difference in handling between the R and the LS
and 5 lug conversion is always a plus (wider wheel selection)
revolution8k
New ITRCA Member

Post by revolution8k »

Buy the LS if it's cheaper than any R you can find. It'll be cheaper on purchase price and insurance rating.

Since you have a JDM ITR motor, all you'd need is a good suspension setup and you'll corner just like a real ITR, maybe slightly better.

Does he have the JDM ITR tranny in there as well, and if he doesn't...does it at least have an LSD?
itr
ITRCA Member

Post by itr »

ITR, you can't go wrong with it. Even leaving it stock you'll be satisfied.
40calpal
New ITRCA Member

Post by 40calpal »

Yeah i'd say get an R, or if u could find a 00' or 01' Canadian spec CW then thats the ultimate way to go.

I just think the R has subtle differences that make it better in everyway. Their limited availability, 5 lug as mentioned earlier, sideskirts, front lip and wing, (save u from buying a kit on the LS if u chose to) carbon fiber inlays, lighter weight and LSD but man i could go on forever.

Make sure u can afford the insurance on the R though, i'd assume the LS would be quite a bit cheaper
Sure a plane is fast but you can't chirp second in a plane!
nightrider
New ITRCA Member

Post by nightrider »

if you plan to road race or auto-x, the R is a very good choice and i would probably pick the R over the ls. regardless, you need to look at what area you live in and if the R could be kept safe. if you daily drive to school, the R will NOT be a good choice. anyway, hope you make your mind up and good luck with everything.
00-1526 FBP JDM front-end
New ITRCA Member

Post by 1337 »

this car will be my daily driver...so you think it wont be a good idea to get the R if the car will be my daily driver, i live in a good a semi-good neighborhood in SoCal...i want to eventually go autox.... and also what is so good about the canadian type r
CanadianR
New ITRCA Member

Post by CanadianR »

1337 wrote: and also what is so good about the canadian type r
It's pretty much the same as US cars, but was available in CW every year of production, whereas the USDM cars only came in white in 97 and 98.
TurboR1391
New ITRCA Member

Post by TurboR1391 »

Base model Integras can't hold a candle to the superb handling of the R. Hold off and get the R and you will not regret it. :wink:
2000 DC2R #`1391 (boosted)

1995 EJ1 B18C1 (Beater)
tko21
New ITRCA Member

get the R

Post by tko21 »

I'd get the R as well, i think down the line if you get the LS you'd want a type R later on down the road. You'd want the seats, suspension, lsd, tranny, etc. and the rarity of the R you can't find anywhere else. R prices have dropped recently, and for not much more than a few thousand dollars (15-17k depending on year), you can get a nice ITR. you'll never regret the wait. Also, I woudln't be surprised if that guy with the LS is selling the car to get a real R himself..