16" or 17" wheels?

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Sick TR
New ITRCA Member

16" or 17" wheels?

Post by Sick TR »

I'm trying to get a new set of wheels but I'm not sure what size I want to get.

:roll:
nanertyper
New ITRCA Member

Re: 16" or 17" wheels?

Post by nanertyper »

Sick TR wrote:I'm trying to get a new set of wheels but I'm not sure what size I want to get.

:roll:
popular belief is that 16x7 is the optimum size wheels if you want to go larger than stock. But I'm happy with my 15x7. I am planning on purchasing a set of 17" wheels soon for the streets, hopefully it will help my highway rpms with the ATS. I guess your choice should depend on what you plan on doing with those wheels.
Sick TR
New ITRCA Member

Post by Sick TR »

I will like to get 17" because there's more nice wheels to choose from.
and I'm planing to use the 17's for show or be cruzing downtown wih my crew but not for been racing.

:D
Sick TR
New ITRCA Member

Post by Sick TR »

I'm planing to get the GT-7
17" w/Kumho 215/40 tires $1700 :lol:
nightrider
New ITRCA Member

Post by nightrider »

i'm happy to say that i just bought a set of 15x7 rims. one benefit i'll enjoy is the price factor for tires. :wink:
00-1526 FBP JDM front-end
Azcheron
New ITRCA Member

Post by Azcheron »

if ur gonna spend 1700 bucks, dont waste ur money on kuhmos.......get like pirellis or yokohamas or falkens
Champ R
ITRCA Member

Post by Champ R »

Crusing downtown with your crew? lol Why not just sell the car and get an escalade so you can put some blingers on there :roll: To each his own i guess, but id say screw this show car crap and buy a pair of lightweight 16's. You will regret the performance decreases in acceleration, braking and whatnot in the longrun.
CW 98 #805
George Knighton
ITRCA Member

Post by George Knighton »

Sick TR wrote:I will like to get 17" because there's more nice wheels to choose from.
If you're buying wheels purely for the looks, then your own personal taste has to prevail, regardless of what anybody else wants.

Personally, I think that 17" wheels seem a little oversized on the DC2. I could see going w/17" if a particular tyre and tyre size were only available in 17", but that doesn't seem to have anything to do w/why you're buying them.

I also tend to like the simpler designs of wheels. For example, I rather like the Volks and Spoon/Desmond look, but don't care for the Mugen MF10 look. :)

The DC2 was really designed with 15" wheels in mind; however, that was a different time and a different mentality, and we shouldn't absolutely reject out of hand the suggestion that bigger wheels might be a part of a future performance modification for the DC2.

For the present, considering the huge range of relatively cheap performance tyres available in 15", I think that we're going to see mostly 15x7 and 15x7.5 wheels on the DC2 track cars for the forseeable future.

I have a set of 16x7 Spoon, a set of 15x7 Kosei K1 (old style), and a set of SSR 15x7.5.
nsxtasy
ITRCA Member

Post by nsxtasy »

Azcheron wrote:if ur gonna spend 1700 bucks, dont waste ur money on kuhmos.......get like pirellis or yokohamas or falkens
Every tire manufacturer makes a wide variety of tires - some that are great for dry traction and cornering, some that are great in the rain, some that last a long time, and some that are less expensive than others. You can't generalize about an entire line based on brand name. It's all a matter of finding a tire that meets your personal priorities.

Kumho offers some great tires for the money. Their track tires (Ecsta V700 and V700 Victoracer) are about as good as anyone's except the considerably more expensive Hoosiers. Their top-of-the-line performance tire, the Ecsta MX, is excellent - maybe not quite as good as the Bridgestone Potenza S-03, but very very close - and is significantly less expensive than the S-03. Their budget performance tire, the Ecsta Supra 712, is a decent, inexpensive tire, although the Yokohama AVS ES100 seems to be better in every way.

You could say the same thing about most manufacturers' lines. For example, the Falken Azenis Sport is a great street tire for dry traction and an excellent choice for those in areas where it doesn't rain much. But some of the other Falken tires are not as good as those of competitors.

If you're looking for the absolute best performance for a car used primarily on the street, cost no object, then I would suggest the Bridgestone S-03 or the Goodyear GS-D3. If you want something slightly less expensive than those, but close in performance, the Kumho MX is an excellent choice. If you are really looking to save money on tires, then the Yokohama ES100 might fit your needs. There are lots of good choices out there, depending on what's most important to you.
1CoolR
New ITRCA Member

Post by 1CoolR »

As far as appearance goes, it would be a matter of personal taste, as others have already indicated.

I, too, personally like the look of a 17" wheel filling the wheelwells of a DC2.

I (still) have both.

Quick reviews:
16x7 +50mm 215x45x16: Slightly firmer ride than 15x6 stock. Great grip in corners, slower steering response, my lightest/quickest combination. Currently on car.
17x7 +38 205x40x17: Even more firm, still comfortable ride, quick turn in and steering response, causes porpoising on stock suspension, scary in heavy rain/standing water.

I think the 17" stands out more (purely subjective), but could probably use a tuned suspension, as opposed to being on a stock car.

If I keep this car, I'll probably buy another set of wheels. I'm thinking lightweight 17" modular wheels.

But, the 16's do take off way quicker than my 17's and feel better all around (again, purely subjective on my part).

Have fun deciding!