Got Real Lucky! Timing Belt story

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Trey
Site Admin

Got Real Lucky! Timing Belt story

Post by Trey »

I had an incident last night that is a story worth telling. I was on my way home and took a left turn onto an entrance ramp to the interstate. The car stumbled and when I went to second gear had zero power. Went back to first and the car was ok for a second then died. "Hrm, that's odd” I thought. I tried to start the car with no luck. It tried to start but would not turn over. I thought maybe I should not try to start it anymore incase it's the timing belt but at this point 2 other people had tried to start it so I also figured it the timing belt was the issue the damage was done.

I called a friend of mine who works at a local shop here (FASTECH) and he grabbed their race trailer and a tow vehicle and we pushed the car up on the trailer and took it back to the shop. We rolled it in the shop and decide to pull the valve cover and see what we see. Everything looked fine although my cam gears looked funny. He said try and crank it once real quick. As I did this the timing belt flopped around and was loose enough to stick a finger between it and the cam gear. Billy yells "STOP!" and I look to see the loose belt. Well there’s the answer to what happened. It's about 8:30 by now and he says, "Want to fix it tonight?" Off we go . . .

We put it on the lift and pulled everything off the car (Timing belt covers, Power steering, AC/Alternator Belts). What we found was that everything was in perfect working order except the timing belt tensioner has slipped to the loosest setting. This was strange since the bolt on the tensioner was pretty tight. We then began to set the cams and crank back to TDC and see what damage had been done. We got it all set back and tightened up and did a leak down test and compression test.

First the leak down test. Billy had a nice leak down gauge and once we figured out the compressor was providing too much air pressure we got repeatable results and we started testing for valve seat leakage. RESULTS: Cylinder 1 was first, low leakage . . . . Cylinder 4, Low Leakage, . . . Cylinder 2, Low Leakage . . . Cylinder 3, Low Leakage . . . Holy cow!!!!! I looked at him and said, NOT POSSIBLE and he just called me the luckiest man in the world. Being skeptical and not satisfied I insisted we do a compression test. Here are the results (psi): 240, 240, 240, 239.

When it happened I was feeling pretty unlucky while contemplating which cams and valvetrain I was going to order in the morning. By 10:30 pm I was feeling like the luckiest person in the world. I know people who had a belt skip a tooth and tore up the whole head. I have the belt off 15+ teeth and who know how many times it's turned over with them slipping and no damage what-so-ever to speak of.

I should have bought a lottery ticket yesterday!
blue-streak
New ITRCA Member

Post by blue-streak »

lucky :D
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

Glad you made it through that with no real mess...
swed
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

good

Post by Jan Niemi »

good deal....I've been lucky as well, I broke the camshaft on my 87 Civic right at the cam gear while cruising at 60mph and no damage..
http://speedindustry.biz
for all of your tuning, parts, fabrication and other service needs.
Bowdwn
ITRCA Member

Post by Bowdwn »

wish i had your luck...snapped timing belt and bent 8 vavles....time to buy lottery ticket....
tonyanjaii
New ITRCA Member

Post by tonyanjaii »

hahaha amazing!! my cam gears basically ate away the teeth on the timing belt, bent all 16 valves.

consider yourself a lucky mo fo.
mythias
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by mythias »

Ugh... my belt just slipped a couple teeth. I could tell when it happened that my baby was hurt. Called my boy for a tow... too alte to pull the cover and check the damage tonight, so I will have to after work tomorrow... Im seriously scared of what I am gonna see.
B18CXr
ITRCA Member

Post by B18CXr »

Trey = lucky SOB
Yack-
2002 Honda Challenge H1 Champion
Neptune, Apexi, AEM EMS certified tuner
nanertyper
New ITRCA Member

Post by nanertyper »

Wow, lucky you. my friend had a similar situation, bent all his valves trying to start it :?
mstewar
New ITRCA Member

Post by mstewar »

B18CXr wrote:Trey = lucky SOB
indeed.. i would've gone straight to 7-11 and bought $5 worth of powerball tickets..
1998 CW ITR #0055
BudMan
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by BudMan »

That's one night I bet he didn't try to get lucky when he got home :wink:

Glad to hear the KC-rrrrr is still running for you. :lol:
TurboR1391
New ITRCA Member

Post by TurboR1391 »

Someone was definitely praying for you dude!
2000 DC2R #`1391 (boosted)

1995 EJ1 B18C1 (Beater)
B2FiNiTY
ITRCA Member

Post by B2FiNiTY »

You got very very luck on that one!
Type R 98
ITRCA Member

Post by Type R 98 »

i bent 4 valves when it skipped on me a couple teeth...

on to your story...
call me negative but i think that you had enough luck for the day, buying lottery tickets would have been wasting your money, i believe one cannot be so lucky in the same day:)
All Motor Championship white Mugen exterior ITR 1998 #870